Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dorinda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
    Can Evict Someone from My Property?
    While I was out of town my ex boyfriend took it upon his self to move back in. When I came back from my trip he had changed the locks and moved several other people in. I am the only person on the title to the mobile home but both our names are still on the lease with the manager of the trailor park. I don't know what to do with this matter. Do I have the right to evict him and if so what steps do I take?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 30, 2011, 09:10 PM
    No one is allowed to change locks. But the rest is a quagmire, because you let him be on some sort of lease (for the spot of land, I presume) and you are going to have a tough time evicting anyone except for nonpayment of rent, too many occupants, or destruction. You have to go through the legal process.

What was the purpose of changing the locks - to keep YOU out? If so, and he literally is barring the door, call the police. Stay calm, no shouting, while you go inside and find the papers. Demand a key. Get a locksmith. TRY to get a restraining order based on him changing the locks, a harassing act.

And find a big strong relative or two to stay with you for a while.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2011, 12:53 AM

How long ago did you return? What happened when you returned? How long had your ex been out when you left? Is there anyone who can testify that he had moved out?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 31, 2011, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    How long ago did you return? What happened when you returned? How long had your ex been out when you left? Is there anyone who can testify that he had moved out?
    And how do you suppose he got in? Did he have a key?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2011, 06:59 AM

Did he break in or did he have a key, if he broke in I would start by calling the police for tresspass.

Him on the lease of the land is the issue

Jul 31, 2011, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    And how do you suppose he got in? Did he have a key?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Did he break in or did he have a key, if he broke in I would start by calling the police for tresspass.

Him on the lease of the land is the issue
    Good questions, but if he is on the lease, I'm not sure it can be considered trespass. If the OP changed the locks after he left but never removed him from the lease, then she could have problems with illegal eviction.

But we have to wait for the OP to return and clarify.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 31, 2011, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Good questions, but if he is on the lease, I'm not sure it can be considered trespass. If the OP changed the locks after he left but never removed him from the lease, then she could have problems with illegal eviction.

But we have to wait for the OP to return and clarify.
    He is not on the lease. As I read the opening post, the ex is on the space rental agreement, which wouldn't matter. OP owns the trailer.

So, unless he had some sort of rental agreement with her (as to his occupancy of the trailer), she was perfectly free to change the locks. We don't know that she ever did that; it doesn't matter. But in this case, he has changed the locks, after committing a forceable entry (as the term is defined in forceable entry and detainer statutes).

So, to answer her question, yes, she should sue him for possession under the F.E.D. statute.

Jul 31, 2011, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    He is not on the lease. As I read the opening post, the ex is on the space rental agreement, which wouldn't matter. OP owns the trailer.

So, unless he had some sort of rental agreement with her (as to his occupancy of the trailer), she was perfectly free to change the locks. We don't know that she ever did that; it doesn't matter. But in this case, he has changed the locks, after committing a forceable entry (as the term is defined in forceable entry and detainer statutes).

So, to answer her question, yes, she should sue him for possession under the F.E.D. statute.
    You may be right, but then again, you may not be. The clear assumption here is that he resided in the trailer with her for some period. Without knowing the details of that residency we can't know for sure what rights the ex had, if any.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to evict my mother in law from my property,how do I get her off? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to evict my mother in law of my property,how do I go about it

I've lived on my mothers property for over 18 years. She is now trying to evict me [ 3 Answers ]

She is now trying to evict me for reasons for which I am willing to fix. She and my sister who claims to be the property manager just wants me gone. They say I have too much drama in my life. Who doesn't. Can they just make me leave like that. I've lived out here longer than my sister.

I want to evict my son from my property in south africa [ 1 Answers ]

I ask this question on behlaf of my mother in law - She is a pensioner, and wants to evict her son, his wife and 3 teenage girls from my property. The reason is that the girls are 20,17, 12 years of age, she believes that they are into prostitution. PLEASE SHE NEEDS HELP URGENTLY - AS TO...

How do we evict a relative who co-owns the property? [ 8 Answers ]

9 years ago after our father passed away my sister & her family moved into the house to manage the rental apartments & storage spaces. She began to use the money for alcohol and we had to take over the management of the property. We now need to rent out the house in order to protect our property.

How can I evict my former girlfriend and mother of my son from my property? [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a home and have moved into it with my girlfriend and 10mo. Old son. The girlfriend is a chronic alcoholic and has psychologocal issues. She has recently started an argument with me and had me arrested for calling her a bad name. There is now a no contact order in place...

View more questions Search