Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CADdrummer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Ceiling fan motor reverse wiring
    Greetings form a 1st poster.

I have an old (50's ?) Hunter ceiling which doesn't have a reverse switch on it.
    How can this be done?
    Thanks,

RNR
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Really old fans do not have motors that can be reversed. Some motors always run in the same direction no matter what you switch with the wires. If your fan is nearing its 60th birthday it may be time to buy a stae of the arts fan. You can get a very good fan for around $100.
    CADdrummer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 09:51 AM
    ballengerb1,

Thanks for the reply.
    You may be right about getting a new fan. Although. That old Hunter seems to be a nice fit to this 1920's home. Somebody from another site sent me some wiring diagrams that may hold some promise. I may look into that...

Roger
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Some old motors can be wired to reverse, some fan not. I do not believe your Hunter can. However it is a very good quality fan, better than anything made today and you should keep it. The reverse feature is not really needed for heat circulation, just pick a low speed where you cannot feel a draft. You can also get blade brackets for it where you can reverse the blades. Many Hunters offered this feature perhaps yours has it and you are not aware?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I reverse ceiling fan direction? [ 18 Answers ]

We moved into our home that already had a very nice Hampton Bay ceiling fan installed, but we have no instruction manual... It is a model that has a remote control, with an up light, down light and lo-med-high settings for the fan. However, we have noticed that the way the fan is blowing (counter...

Ceiling Fan reverse switch [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone here know the location of reverse/forward switch on a Hampton Bay 60" industrial 3 blade fan?

Hampton Bay ceiling fan in reverse [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a house with a beautiful Hampton Bay ceiling fan that is controlled by remote only (we think). The previous owners had the fan in reverse mode. How do we make in go in the right direction? We cannot find a switch anywhere so we are assuming you do it with a trick of the remote. ...

Ceiling Fan in Reverse [ 3 Answers ]

I searched and I see that this was brought up some time ago, but the solutions offered have not worked for me. I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with a remote wall switch. The fan will no longer "reverse" and it is going in the wrong direction. I have tried to switch on and off with the fan...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Reverse Question [ 2 Answers ]

I have one of those hampton bay fans that have palm leaves for the blades. It is s remote controlled fan, but the control has no reverse. If I buy a new remote that contains a reverse button, (as well as install the new 'controller' into the hub above the fan motor), will the fan reverse? Or...

View more questions Search