Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goofy_canadian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 04:15 AM
    Cinder block basement cracked
    I have a cinder block basement that has a fair bit of settlement(Cracked about 1 inch in the biggest spot). All the movement seams to be in 1 area.The wall that is cracked does not have a footing all at the same elevation. The wall is opprox. 6ft.then steps to up from the footing 16 inches higher. The movement appears to be at the tallest wall.It appears the footing has given way.Could a person bolt a angle iron to the footing that does not appear to be moving?The total length of the wall is about 20 ft & the footing step is approx. in the middle of the wall
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 30, 2007, 08:29 AM
    You can bolt all you want but your foundation will continue to settle, maybe a bit slower. That footing needs to be replaced and for 99.9% of us this isn't a home owner repair job. My neighbor had to have a house mover lift his house 1/4 in. They took down the entire wall excavated a new footing and replaced the wall to the tune of $22K.
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 30, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Above comment is right , it will continue to move .
    You could point up the cracks for now.
    Eventually the footing and wall sections can be unpinned and replaced ,in place.
    An experienced mason could fill in the block wall and under pin the footing , or replace it

Take a look at Grip-Tite Foundation Repair and Utility Anchor Products . They have a very good system for foundation wall repair. Watch the pushpier system video

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold in cinder block house. [ 4 Answers ]

I hope I am posting in the right place. I am an American living in Bucharest Romania. We rent a house.. a very old house with a small basement that we do not use. It is very musty and probably moldy... but I have never ventured that far. My husband has been down there and it is empty except for...

Mold on outside cinder block wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have black mold growing on my outside cinder block wall sourendering my back yard. I live in Las Vegas so the climate is dry but watering the lawns is causing the mold to grow since we have to water in the evenings so the water does evaporate so fast due to the hot climate. How do I remove this...

Repairing cinder block foundation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, My house is on a hill so the front is at level with the street and the back foundation is partly exposed. The garge is part of the basement and level with the driveway. Over the years water coming down from the roof and building up behind a 2 1/2' retaining wall next to the garage has...

View more questions Search