Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amygrant Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 04:34 AM
    Help! Why is my Dog not putting weight on?
    Hi I need some help here I re-homed a Staffordshire bull terrier *****
    She is 9 months old she is eating her food but isn't putting any weight on!
    She isn't putting any weight on and she has just started biting the bottom of her back too.
    Can anyone help all I want is for her to put weight on and be healthy??
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2011, 04:46 AM
    Sounds like worms to me. Did you take her to a vet when you got her?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 04:50 AM

Sounds like a case of worms. Need to get her to the vet for a once over. Check her gums, if they are a white, grey or a very light pink colour, chances are she has worms. You will want to get a prescribed treatment as over the counter stuff, just isn't as effective, and can be very dangerous. I like a product called Revolution.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 04:51 AM

Usually when a pup has worms, they have fleas too. That could be the reason she is biting her back. Also feeding a good quality puppy chow is very important. Bully breeds are notorious for skin allergies. Take a look at the ingredients in her food. If you see a lot of by products, wheat and corn, then chances are it's not a good quality chow.

Feb 28, 2011, 04:55 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    The lady who sold her to me said she had been wormed and up to date with all her injections

Feb 28, 2011, 04:58 AM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    When I re-homed her the lady who I rehomed her off said that she had been wormed... she is eating really greedy in fact but she just isn't putting any weight on at all. Her fur is starting to fall out at the bottom of her back because she keeps biting it... I love this dog very much all I want is her to be very happy and healthy

Feb 28, 2011, 04:59 AM
    Thanks could you tell me what is the best product to feed her.when I rehomed her she wasn't eating at all but she is eating lots now but isn't putting any weight on x
    Dogs Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 05:23 AM

If her hair is falling out, it could be mange. I like holistic foods, I've been hearing great things about a brand called Blue Buffalo. From what I can tell, they use quality foods and it is relatively cheap as well. Canidae is a great brand too, but I think it's harder to find in the US. Weruva is a good brand as well. Make sure to continue to feed her the puppy chow until she is about a year. The best things about holistic foods, is they usually make a puppy chow for larger breed dogs.

You can also add some fish oils to her diet, if it is allergy related then a can of sardines, or a cod liver oil pill works wonders. I buy Omega pills for my bullies, they run me about $12 for a bottle of 160.

Feb 28, 2011, 05:56 AM
    Yes her hair is falling out just a little bit not bad!. I have just had a look again and her skin is flaking off :-( she keeps biting it at the bottom of her back where the tail starts and she makes it bleed.
    I have to take her out with a doggy coat on . All I want is to take her out without people staring and without her coat on! I have checked her for fleas and can't see any and I have bathed her and none was left in bath. A trip to the vets it is :-) she is eating lots very greedy but she isn't putting any weight on??

Feb 28, 2011, 05:59 AM
    Her hair is falling out and bleeding very much I have just looked again and her skin is flaking off. She is very greedy at the minute but she just isn't putting weight on! I have checked her for fleas but can't seem to see any and I have even bathed her and none was left in bath. I have to take her out for walks in her coat because she is losing weight and people are staring. All I want is to take her out without her coat on??
    Dogs Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 08:22 AM

I think it's best to get her to the vet for a once over. It sounds like it might be mange or a severe skin allergy.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2011, 02:24 PM
    You won't always see fleas on them or in bath water. You really need those Advantage monthly pills or drops to the back of the neck.
    I compromise a little and don't do it exactly once a month; I stretch it out a bit depending on the time of year. Every 5 weeks in the summer, every 10 weeks in the winter.
    Bathing should be only in an oatmeal or other soothing, unscented water, and not those dog shampoos that are just expensive people versions.
    You can get good dog food like science Diet or Wellness at a pet shop.
    I don't use canned dog food mixed in with kibble, but a little hamburger.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 02:43 PM

My dog has severe allergies like that. Our vet recommended ChlorTabs for the itching and biting. It works wonders!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does tablet qutipin has a side effect like putting on weight [ 2 Answers ]

Tablet quitipin side effects

Putting on weight [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm in my 6th week of pregnancy. Everything is fine. Going well so far. But I can't stop eating, I'm hungry all the time I'm craving salty foods really badly and if I don't eat I feel sick. Worried about putting on too much weight too quickly. :(:( What do you think

Putting weight on a grayhound [ 7 Answers ]

I have a greyhound and I am wanting to put weight on her is there a formula you can use that will keep the weight on her and not burn it of thanks for any help

Putting down an older dog [ 5 Answers ]

My poodle is over 15 years old. She is diabetic (2 shots a day) and is blind. She has reached the point where she wets everywhere, no matter how many times we take her out. We have "puppy pads" all over the house; she uses them all, but still wets on the carpet each day. It is embarrassing to...

Putting on the weight [ 1 Answers ]

What foods can make you gain weight, that have no fats, if you have become ill but have lots of protein and calcium. Which are also tasty as say fast foods. As I like fast foods, but I would like something with more nutrition and quick and easy to make, or even better a ready made meal. I suffer...

View more questions Search