Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Jan 17, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Well, I did it!
    Okay, so I found out recently that I had gall stones(and even "gravel" what a hoot) and they were big enough and painful enough that I had to have them removed but I didn't want to admit it to anyone because shamefully enough, I was AFEARED, CHICKEN, YELLOW BELLIED! I hate needles, I hate surgeries, (I've had 3), I hate staying in hospitals. But, I did it! On Monday, January 15th, 2007 at approximately 8:00 am, I was rid of the stones and the gravel. It wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be and afterwards they kept me on a Morphine drip so I didn't feel too much. Just before discharging me they sent me off with a little Demerol and some Ultracet to go.

They kept me over night and I came home last night 4 ounces lighter and very "happy" on some really good medication. 4 incisions total, 1 on the belly button, and 3 on my stomach almost forming a "V". I feel like I got hit with a MAC truck and my throat is sore but I'm finally home and I slept for 14 hours straight (sleeping at the hospital is impossible, those nurses sure can be noisy chatterboxes at 3 in the morning).

So, the moral of this story is, it's not as scary as it sounds or as your mind makes it up to be. Keep your chin up and think happy thoughts and you'll be home before you know it!;)
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Great to hear you overcome a fear and hope your back to 100% full health soon and helping everyone out here that you do so wonderfully.

Well done mom!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Congratulations!! I am so glad it is finally over for you.

And, we are not all chatterboxes!! LOL Well, at least you can't blame me cause I wasn't on shift that night!!

If there ever is a next time, ask to get a room farthest away from the nurses station if possible.

Jan 18, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Thanks so much for the well wishes guys! Overcoming that fear was by far the biggest hurdle, thanks Skell. It does feel great to be home again and I am recovering pretty quickly. And Janine, I know if you'd been on shift that night, you could have heard a pin drop! I was so loopy when I got out of the recovery room that they could have set me up in the linen closet and I wouldn't have noticed...

Thanks again guys!!
    dixie0424 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by momincali
    Okay, so I found out recently that I had gall stones(and even "gravel" what a hoot) and they were big enough and painful enough that I had to have them removed but I didn't want to admit it to anyone because shamefully enough, I was AFEARED, CHICKEN, YELLOW BELLIED! I hate needles, I hate surgeries, (I've had 3), I hate staying in hospitals. But, I did it! On Monday, January 15th, 2007 at approximately 8:00 am, I was rid of the stones and the gravel. It wasn't as scary as I thought it was gonna be and afterwards they kept me on a Morphine drip so I didn't feel too much. Just before discharging me they sent me off with a little Demerol and some Ultracet to go.

They kept me over night and I came home last night 4 ounces lighter and very "happy" on some really good medication. 4 incisions total, 1 on the belly button, and 3 on my stomache almost forming a "V". I feel like I got hit with a MAC truck and my throat is sore but I'm finally home and I slept for 14 hours straight (sleeping at the hospital is impossible, those nurses sure can be noisy chatterboxes at 3 in the morning).

So, the moral of this story is, it's not as scary as it sounds or as your mind makes it up to be. Keep your chin up and think happy thoughts and you'll be home before you know it!;)
    How soon after you were diagnosed with gall stones did you have the surgery?

Jun 20, 2007, 03:38 PM
    I want to say I was diagnosed in November and they wanted to remove them in December but I postponed it until January.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search