Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bandog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Sinking floor
    I bought a 1928 house. Twelve years ago they opened up the second floor attic.
    Stairs were put in and we notice that the floor on both ends of the stairs are sinking.
    The cellar as was done in this part of the country is pretty much in the center of the house (where the stairs are) surrounded by a crawl space.
    Upon close inspection I noticed the crawl space has several places where the joists have been jacked up. This is around the outside of the cellar and not directly under the stairs.
    I have spent the last four years trying to figure the problem out and I think I have come up w/ a solution.
    I want to place floor jacks under 4 joists at the front and back of the stairs. The stairs are 130" from front to back I need to move them in 25"on ea. end so the span that I will be jacking up is 80". The front of the stairs are over the crawl space close to the concrete block wall, which I want to put short jacks on and the rear are by the furnace and I want to use a steel I beam at the top spanning all 4 joist. I have no idea how thick the concrete floor is that I want to put the jacks on.
    Finally my question, will I need to cut out a section of the floor by the furnace to pour a footer for support?
    Any guideance would be greatly apperciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 24, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bandog
    I bought a 1928 house. Twelve years ago they opened up the second floor attic.
    Stairs were put in and we notice that the floor on both ends of the stairs are sinking.
    The cellar as was done in this part of the country is pretty much in the center of the house (where the stairs are) surronded by a crawl space.
    Upon close inspection I noticed the crawl space has several places where the joists have been jacked up. This is around the outside of the cellar and not directly under the stairs.
    I have spent the last four years trying to figure the problem out and I think I have come up w/ a solution.
    I want to place floor jacks under 4 joists at the front and back of the stairs. The stairs are 130" from front to back I need to move them in 25"on ea. end so the span that I will be jacking up is 80". The front of the stairs are over the crawl space close to the concrete block wall, which I want to put short jacks on and the rear are by the furnace and I want to use a steel I beam at the top spanning all 4 joist. I have no idea how thick the concrete floor is that I want to put the jacks on.
    Finally my question, will I need to cut out a section of the floor by the furnace to pour a footer for support?
    Any guideance would be greatly apperciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Yes , ideally the new posts should bear onto a footing , below the grade of the concrete floor.
    A "Microlam " or engineered wood beam can be a lot easier to install in a retro fit . Steel beams are hard to fabricate & modify in the field with ordinary tools

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Toilet leak ,3rd floor to 2nd floor ceiling. [ 1 Answers ]

Was told that I would have to build a 6 inch platform to place toilet high enough to get adaquate flow to prevent this. Is this valid or does anyone else have a better plan. Floors,pipes , toilet all new install to existing. 3 years.

Proper underlayment for vinyl floor starting at floor joists [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to build up a floor to prepare for vinyl flooring? I'm building a mud-room in the garage attached to the house, 5' by 13' . Presently I have the joists installed and am ready for subfloor. I am planning to use 3/4" T&G UDL plywood, glued to joists with construction...

Slightly sinking tub [ 10 Answers ]

When I step into my tub, it sinks down a bit from the weight. It does not sink down a tremendous amount, but it is enough that it jars the caulking and creates a little crack in the caulking. Then, of course, it leaks a bit through the crack when there is any splash. Is it normal for the tub to...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

View more questions Search