Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abratuc2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 12:40 PM
    Is it a landlord's responsibility for snow removal in driveway in pa?
    I rent a two story house in Pennsylvania, my driveway is 1/8 mile long (asphalt)which requires being plowed and salt distribution. I currrently don't have a lease, who's responsiblilty is it to keep driveway clear?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 12, 2011, 01:25 PM
    No one's, if it's not in a lease. So that means you if you want to get in and out, sorry.
    Homeowners are responsible for sidewalk areas used by the public.
    rbilow Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

Jan 13, 2011, 12:31 AM
    I would say it's the landlords responsibility, unless you were told when you moved in that it would be your responsibility to keep it clear. Phone somebody in your state about the Landlord/Tenant Act. The mailman(if Applicable) needs access to the house. What if you don't have a car so you just shovel a path to your house and it catches fire. How are the fire trucks suppose to make it through 3 feet of snow?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2011, 04:53 AM

Look in your original lease. The terms of the original lease continue (except for expiration and rental). From my research this is not dictated by statute, but as part of the landlord/tenant agreement. The property owner IS responsible for clearing publicly accessible areas like sidewalks. But a driveway is private. So you need to negotiate this if its not in the lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snow removal responsibility.whose is it? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a New York State resident who owns a residential property near Ithaca, NY. I have one rental unit in my building. Under New York State law, am I responsible for shoveling the driveway when it snows? Am I legally bound to hire someone to do it? I live over 200 miles from the property. The...

Who is responsible for snow removal? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have been renting an apartment in a three family house with a driveway shared with another tenant. Up until the last storm we had yesterday I never had a problem with the landlord plowing our driveway. However Yesterday when we called him around 12 pm to ask when we would be plowed out,...

Snow Removal [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Ohio, in a 4 unit dwelling which shares a driveway and parking area. I am trying to find out whether the lease or the ORC (Ohio Revised Code) "supercedes" the other. My lease states that snow removal is the responsibility of the resident for porches, sidewalks, driveways. I would not...

Snow Removal Responsibility [ 9 Answers ]

I live in a Duplex Apartment in Upstate New York, meaning I have one neighbor. My lease states that snow removal is the responsibility of the tenant. This means that to get my VERY long driveway plowed, we have to hire someone to plow it and split the cost with the neighbors. Is this legal? What if...

View more questions Search