Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 20, 2007, 05:23 PM
    endlessecho : I see your point, but why could it not be viewed as painting a picture, rather than graffity?

If someone wants to paint a picture all they need to do is get an array of paint, an easel, a canvas and paint away. Or, if they must paint on themselves, they need only paint with removable paint.
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Jun 21, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Hello Joe,

This again is my opinion according to my understanding of the scriptures.
    Tattooing is by no means a modern practice. Tattoo-bearing Egyptian and Libyan mummies have been found that date back hundreds of years before the time of Christ. Tattooed mummies have also been found in South America. Many of the tattooed images were directly related to the worship of pagan gods. According to researcher Steve Gilbert, “the earliest known tattoo that is a picture of something, rather than an abstract pattern, represents the god Bes. In Egyptian mythology Bes is the lascivious god of revelry.”
    Significantly, the Mosaic Law forbade God’s people to tattoo themselves. Said
    Leviticus 19:28 (New King James Version)
    28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.
    Deuteronomy 14:1-2 (New King James Version)
    1 “You are the children of the LORD your God; you shall not cut yourselves nor shave the front of your head for the dead. 2 For you are a holy people to the LORD your God, and the LORD has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a
    Pagan worshipers, such as the Egyptians, tattooed the names or symbols of their deities on their breast or arms. By complying with God’s ban on tattoo markings, the Israelites would stand out as different from other nations.

While Christians today are not under the Law of Moses, the prohibition it laid on tattooing is sobering.
    Ephesians 2:15 (New King James Version)
    15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace,

If you are a Christian, you would certainly not want to make markings on your body, even temporarily, that smack of paganism or false worship.
    2 Corinthians 6:15-18 (New King James Version)
    15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you[a] are the temple of the living God. As God has said:
    “ I will dwell in them
    And walk among them.
    I will be their God,
    And they shall be My people.”
    17 Therefore “ Come out from among them
    And be separate, says the Lord.
    Do not touch what is unclean,
    And I will receive you.”
    18 “ I will be a Father to you,
    And you shall be My sons and daughters,
    Says the LORD Almighty.”

One of the mandates for Christians is to preach and teach the good news. Matthew 28:19, 20; Philippians 2:15 A Christian would not want to let anything, including his appearance, distract others from listening to that message.2 Corinthians 4:2.
    While such decorations as piercing or tattoos may be popular among some people, a Christian needs to ask himself or herself these questions:
    1) What kind of a reaction would such a decoration provoke in the area where I live?
    2) Would I be associated with certain fringe elements of society?
    3) Even if my conscience were to allow it, what effect would my piercing or tattoo have on others within the congregation?
    4) Would they view it as an evidence of “the spirit of the world”?
    5) Might it cast doubt on my “soundness of mind”?’1 Corinthians 2:12; 10:29-32; Titus 2:12.

Certain types of body modifications carry serious medical risks. Tattooing with unsanitary needles has been associated with the spread of hepatitis and HIV. Skin disorders sometimes result from the dyes used. Piercing can take months to heal and can hurt for much of that time. They can also produce blood poisoning, hemorrhaging, blood clots, nerve damage, and serious infections. Additionally, some procedures are not easily reversed. For example, depending on the size and the color, a tattoo can take several expensive and painful laser sessions to remove. Piercing may leave lifelong scars.
    Whether an individual decides to accept these risks is a personal decision. But one who seeks to please God recognizes that becoming a Christian involves the offering of oneself to God. Our bodies are living sacrifices presented to God for his use.
    Romans 12:1 (New King James Version)
    1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service
    Mature Christians do not view their bodies as their exclusive property to be damaged or defaced at will. Especially those who qualify to take the lead in the congregation are known for their moderate habits, soundness of mind, and reasonableness.1 Timothy 3:2, 3.

Developing and exercising the Bible-trained power of reason will help Christians avoid the extreme, masochistic practices of this world, which is so hopelessly “alienated from the life that belongs to God.” Ephesians 4:18

They can thus let their reasonableness shine before all men.—Philippians 4:5.

Just my opinion according to my scriptural understanding.

Take care,
    Hope12
    :)
    JesusIsLord08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2007, 04:33 PM
    “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.” Leviticus 19:28 I know this is the old testament but it does till apply. The entire bible is suppose to be used in our daily living. Also we are not to conform to the things of this world.. So basically don't do what the world does.
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 21, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusIsLord08
    “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.” Leviticus 19:28 I know this is the old testament but it does till apply. The entire bible is suppose to be used in our daily living. Also we are not to conform to the things of this world..So basically don't do what the world does.
    God's Word is God's Word. When you quote from the Whole Testament, you can't go wrong. God is sovereign. His Word stands. Please don't be ashamed that you quote from the Old Testament or the New Testament. Christ and the Apostles quoted Old Testament Scriptures over and over again. The New Testament is replete with Old Testament sentiments.

Your answer is on point. Thanks.
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

Jun 22, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson
    endlessecho : I see your point, but why could it not be viewed as painting a picture, rather than graffity?

If someone wants to paint a picture all they need to do is get an array of paint, an easel, a canvas and paint away. Or, if they must paint on themselves, they need only paint with removable paint.
    OK....this one is a no-brainer. here is your New Testament Scripture that should clear this issue up:
    (1Pe 3:1) Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
    (1Pe 3:2) While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
    (1Pe 3:3) Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
    (1Pe 3:4) But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
    (1Pe 3:5) For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands: These scriptures connect the Church (Bride of Christ) to Jesus, and how we are to conduct ourselves in this lost and dying world!
    (1Pe 3:6) Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.
    (1Pe 3:7) Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
    ONE LAST OBSERVATION: ROOTED AND GROUNDED IN THE WORD CHRISTIANS UNDERSTAND THAT OUR "CONVERSATION" MEANS OUR WAY OF LIVING OUR LIVES IN THIS WORLD THAT IS PLEASING TO JESUS CHRIST.
    (1Jn 2:15) Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
    (1Jn 2:16) For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
    Nicki bearry Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jun 27, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    The question for me personally. I would like to know everybodies opinion, thoughts and even biblical response to this question.

Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it?

I have thought about getting a couple before, and I thought of it again.

Thank you in advance!

Oh, and if I did get one it would be my boys name and date of birth on one arm. A religious cross on the other.

Joe
    OK Im new at this but Im a sprit filled christian... You can quote the bible over and over and over again but... there are a lot of things we don't live by anymore in the bible Lev 19 addresses it but it does in the context of cutting and tattoo for the dead, that was a custom in those day from pagan practice to mark your body as a help to move the person from this world to the next now you can take that and say yes getting a tattoo is a sin but in REVELATION 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS some bibles it says it's a tattoo Anyway I think like this Tattoos are not a sin they are a way of life... I have 4 of them myself and like I said Im sprit filled
    sarahb23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Galatians 6:17 NKJV

17 From now on let no one trouble me, for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

<3
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 1, 2007, 01:30 AM
    When I have doubts about doing certain things, I rather leave it and pray about, and when the Lord answers me in His time I always feel relieved that I've waited upon Him, but tatoos are from the world, and doesn't have any connection with that which is holy
    emilykatherine Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 01:04 PM
    My family is not religious, so they didn't bring me up that way.
    And I feel that tattoos are a way to express yourself.
    Like clothing and the way of your appearance.
    And if it is a sin,
    Aren't all sins forgiven?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Many Christians say it is wrong but if you take it in the context of the old testament saying
    Do not mix fabrics they are to be 100% cotton, wool, etc...
    Do not eat pork, certain seafoods, etc...
    The same Christians that will tell you it is wrong to have tattoos think nothing of buying
    Clothing that is cotton and rayon and eating squid and chops.

I agree with Fr_Chuck it was the ritual aspects of cutting and tattoos that was wrong.

As far as the New Testament says not to defile your temple but there are verses that basically also say
    That it is not what goes into a man that defiles him but what comes out
    I take that to mean whatever you do do with a clean conscience or don't do it at all.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Mar 2, 2008, 07:26 PM
    I have seven tattoos. All before I started to really search for a relationship with Jesus. Haven't gotten any since walking with Him. I don't think it would be right, if my body is the Temple of the LORD, I don't want to put tattoos on Him.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Mar 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope12
    Hello Joe,

This again is my opinion according to my understanding of the scriptures.
    Tattooing is by no means a modern practice. Tattoo-bearing Egyptian and Libyan mummies have been found that date back hundreds of years before the time of Christ. Tattooed mummies have also been found in South America. Many of the tattooed images were directly related to the worship of pagan gods. According to researcher Steve Gilbert, “the earliest known tattoo that is a picture of something, rather than an abstract pattern, represents the god Bes. In Egyptian mythology Bes is the lascivious god of revelry.”
    Significantly, the Mosaic Law forbade God’s people to tattoo themselves. Said
    Leviticus 19:28 (New King James Version)
    28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.
    Deuteronomy 14:1-2 (New King James Version)
    1 “You are the children of the LORD your God; you shall not cut yourselves nor shave the front of your head for the dead. 2 For you are a holy people to the LORD your God, and the LORD has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a
    Pagan worshipers, such as the Egyptians, tattooed the names or symbols of their deities on their breast or arms. By complying with God’s ban on tattoo markings, the Israelites would stand out as different from other nations.

While Christians today are not under the Law of Moses, the prohibition it laid on tattooing is sobering.
    Ephesians 2:15 (New King James Version)
    15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace,

If you are a Christian, you would certainly not want to make markings on your body, even temporarily, that smack of paganism or false worship.
    2 Corinthians 6:15-18 (New King James Version)
    15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you[a] are the temple of the living God. As God has said:
    “ I will dwell in them
    And walk among them.
    I will be their God,
    And they shall be My people.”
    17 Therefore “ Come out from among them
    And be separate, says the Lord.
    Do not touch what is unclean,
    And I will receive you.”
    18 “ I will be a Father to you,
    And you shall be My sons and daughters,
    Says the LORD Almighty.”

One of the mandates for Christians is to preach and teach the good news. Matthew 28:19, 20; Philippians 2:15 A Christian would not want to let anything, including his appearance, distract others from listening to that message.2 Corinthians 4:2.
    While such decorations as piercing or tattoos may be popular among some people, a Christian needs to ask himself or herself these questions:
    1) What kind of a reaction would such a decoration provoke in the area where I live?
    2) Would I be associated with certain fringe elements of society?
    3) Even if my conscience were to allow it, what effect would my piercing or tattoo have on others within the congregation?
    4) Would they view it as an evidence of “the spirit of the world”?
    5) Might it cast doubt on my “soundness of mind”?’1 Corinthians 2:12; 10:29-32; Titus 2:12.

Certain types of body modifications carry serious medical risks. Tattooing with unsanitary needles has been associated with the spread of hepatitis and HIV. Skin disorders sometimes result from the dyes used. Piercing can take months to heal and can hurt for much of that time. They can also produce blood poisoning, hemorrhaging, blood clots, nerve damage, and serious infections. Additionally, some procedures are not easily reversed. For example, depending on the size and the color, a tattoo can take several expensive and painful laser sessions to remove. Piercing may leave lifelong scars.
    Whether or not an individual decides to accept these risks is a personal decision. But one who seeks to please God recognizes that becoming a Christian involves the offering of oneself to God. Our bodies are living sacrifices presented to God for his use.
    Romans 12:1 (New King James Version)
    1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service
    Mature Christians do not view their bodies as their exclusive property to be damaged or defaced at will. Especially those who qualify to take the lead in the congregation are known for their moderate habits, soundness of mind, and reasonableness.1 Timothy 3:2, 3.

Developing and exercising the Bible-trained power of reason will help Christians avoid the extreme, masochistic practices of this world, which is so hopelessly “alienated from the life that belongs to God.” Ephesians 4:18

They can thus let their reasonableness shine before all men.—Philippians 4:5.

Just my opinion according to my scriptural understanding.

Take care,
    Hope12
    :)
    true, but you have to think of the context. I mean I personnaly don't see what is wrong with them, not that you have to go overboar with them, I'm saying that you have look at that from today's perspective
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2008, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    The question for me personally. I would like to know everybodies opinion, thoughts and even biblical response to this question.

Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it?

I have thought about getting a couple before, and I thought of it again.

Thank you in advance!

Oh, and if I did get one it would be my boys name and date of birth on one arm. A religious cross on the other.

Joe
    I think that tattoos are just another way to express yourself, and as long as they are used for good things and not anything bad, then they are good to get. I feel like the bible was referring to things like stabbing yourself, things that could hurt you enough to kill the body that god gave you.
    black111madonna Posts: 101, Reputation: 15

Apr 27, 2008, 04:24 PM
    I think you have to do what makes you happy, (Im sure God wants you to be happy) to express yourself can be very relieving!

= Take whatever is coming to you... let the beauty of it move you!
    Ta2edTabetha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 07:47 AM
    I always thought that if you love god and believe in him, it shouldn't matter if you have tattoos. As long as those tattoos don't justify other gods or represent evil. But I started to question it myself. After all, I want to go to heaven.

Leviticus 19:28 says:"You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh FOR THE DEAD, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord"

I don't know if it is referring to when the pagans used tattoo to transfer a soul to the afterlife, but it deffinately gives me doubts about whether to get any more tattoos.
    Saved by Grace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2008, 06:16 AM

I personally have several tatoos which I had before I was saved. I am aware of the scriptures regarrding tatoos. What I have a problem of some remarks is that Jesus died for our sin, so if you are weak in your faith you would walk away from the church and so called saints because no where are you saying we are all sinners, tatoos are visiable so people want to judge and comment, sin is sin.
    However, I do not worship my tatoos nor am I ashamed of them. AND I AM NOT ASHAMED THAT I SERVE A GOD WHO DOES NOT THINK LIKE MAN. If you have a tattoo please do not think that GOD does not love you.
    black111madonna Posts: 101, Reputation: 15

Nov 28, 2008, 04:26 AM

I have seen a lot of people who have a tattoo with Jesus and or a Cross. Have you ever watched Miami Ink on TV? There's always a story behind a tattoo and mostly it has to do with people's emotions and that makes that a tattoo can help to let go of certain things you have to deal or dealt with in your life. I don't see anything wrong in tattoos... it can be very beautiful and save you one way or another!
    ldfootball Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 11:08 PM
    Ok well I have been trying to awnser this question for awhile now and trying to convince myself as right or wrong on tattooing a christianity and I have finally come to the conclusion that it is a sin.

Let me start by saying that the Old Testment has not been done away with the laws were set from this. Lev. 19:28 states And you shall not make any cuttings into your flesh for the dead; and you shall not put on yourself any writing or mark; I am The Lord.

Now although it does state not cutting yourself for the dead the semi-colin makes the next staement a completely different thought which is " and you shall not put on yourself any writing or mark"

I find this scripture to be quite clear on the matter. Many people pursue a way to justify their sins rather than to follow the word of God and I have read the bible searching for anything that would say it is OK to get a tattoo, and there is no scripture that permits this your body is a temple and should not be defiled for any reason, there is no justification for defileing God's temple because these bodies are not ours they are Gods and we are suppose to use our bodies to glorify God.

Now I don't think people who get tattoos are bad people they are just not following what I Believe to be the truth. Im not saying that I am right or that any one is wrong this is just the way I feel from reading the scripture.

I have wanted a tattoo for awhile but I have committed myself to not get one until I found the awnser for myself. So the only real way to know is to seak truth for yourself. The safest way to go is no tattoo because if there is no tattoo then there is no question but if you feel the need to get a tattoo find the truth for yourself.

The bible will not lie and will not change so that is a good place to go for all your question.

-May God Bless You All-
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 11:59 PM
    Hi JesusHelper,
    I once thought about getting one or some.
    That was back when I was in the army.
    What held me back was that I believed that tattoos were desecrating God's temple, my body.
    I was almost ready to change my mind after seeing some friends get nice looking tattoos.
    Then I saw quite a few that were horribly done and some that were far beyond good taste and ugly as sin to boot.
    I saw that a lot of people I could never associate with have tattoos.
    That turned me off for awhile because it began to appear that most criminal type people were getting tattoos.
    Later I thought that was silly for all sort of people had them.
    Then a friend wanted to have a large tattoo removed because it now embarrassed him and he could not appear in public with his shirt off.
    It was a lovely, sexy picture of a former girl friend and he was getting married to a different woman. The old girl friend had married someone else.
    I began to think that if I got a tattoo or 2 I might later want to have it removed and that was a tough thing to do.
    As it turned out I never did get one.
    I now see nothing that would cause me to think that having a tasteful, decent tattoo done would be a sin.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    j276 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 12:47 PM
    1 Cor. 6:19-20
    19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
    20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.

Do you think that getting a tattoo is right? If you do then why wouldn't God have put them on your vody in the first place?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Unforgivable Sin? [ 68 Answers ]

I know there are many different nominations and beliefs and opinions about the subject of sin. So here goes. Have any of you heard about the UNFORGIVABLE SIN? If you have exactly what is this unforgivable sin. At the same time I thought all sin can be forgiven? What is your take? Joe

Original Sin [ 13 Answers ]

I am curious if anyone might have a theroy on Original Sin? There has been so much speculation over hundreds of years and I would like to hear what you think. Thanks:confused:

Removing tattoos [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, I want to know how tattoos are removed. Is it painfull?? Is it expensive??

Living in sin [ 42 Answers ]

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly... This is a relationship question, but I chose to discuss this with other christians. I am in a relationship with the father of my 2 year old son. We are not married yet, and we live together. I have always known the Lord, but...

Dog tattoos [ 1 Answers ]

I have just recently taken in a lost Doxie. He has numbers tattooed on his tummy. Do you know what for?

View more questions Search