Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nate764 Posts: 48, Reputation: 0

Dec 4, 2010, 05:48 PM
    How can identity theft work?
    Some tims I get an e-mail asking me 4 : name, age, address, phone#, and job. If I send that info what might happen if it is a scamer? What info will some one need to identity theft? So I can know what to keep to myself.
    Some even ask for my bank account #. I don't give it out but some times I think could this be for real and how can I know?
    Blackula Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Dec 4, 2010, 05:52 PM
    Every single one of them is a scammer. It is never for real. Treat even the most inane details about yourself as valuable, privileged information. Keep in mind that companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars each year to find out personal information about people. They are willing to pay, so why would you give anything out about yourself for free? If a Nigerian prince really needed someone to help him move his money into the U.S. it wouldn't be you.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2010, 05:54 PM

NEVER give out personal details like this by e-mail, especially if the e-mail is not one you have initiated. Banks, employment agencies, government departments, colleges, any other reputable agency will never ever ask for your details by e-mail.

By the way, if you get an e-mail from say e-bay or Paypal or Amazon or any other website that uses a password, telling you of suspicious activity and asking you to click on a link to log in and verify your account, ignore it. If you really suspect that there is something odd happening with your Paypal account, then go directly to the website, never click on a link in an e-mail.

Oh, if you get a phone call from your bank, asking you for passwords or credit card info, assume it is a scam. A bank will never ask you for that information over a phone or in an e-mail.

If a scammer gets any of your personal information, he can use it to set up all sorts of false accounts in your name, and leave you holding the bill.
    chefpierce Posts: 56, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2010, 02:37 PM
    NOOOOO it's never real!! And if it comes to your email, and they promise you the world, don't buy into their BS. A reputable company will usually have credentials, other references, etc... just some stuff you should check out. And respond to the emails that you want more info, and if you have a po box that's awesome, otherwise I wouldn't recommend giving out any personal information; not in this day and age...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 02:44 PM

It is never real, no one is ever going to email you asking you for all that info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identity theft [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a situation. I am a victim of identity theft and somebody was working with my social security number. I just found out that this guy stop working in 2009 with my social, and he also has $3000 in a IRA account with Fidelity investment. There has been no action in the account in the last...

Identity theft [ 2 Answers ]

I currently had a friend of mine fill out my fafsa for student aid. Well we currently are not in good standings and she is now using my social security and other information against me by messing up all my fafsa and student aid transcripts. There is basically no way to stop this because I have...

Identity Theft? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey and went to file for Welfare to get medical assistance to get surgery on my knee since I went to the hospital and they think tore my ACL,PCL and meniscis. I have no insurance so I needed Medicaid. The In-take Worker told me that someone else was using my Social Security Number...

Identity theft [ 3 Answers ]

What happens when someone steals your social security number to work in the US legally? The reason I'm asking is because someone did that to me a couple of years ago. I had gone to apply for unemployment due to a job lay off and while I was giving them my personal information, that's when I found...

Identity Theft [ 6 Answers ]

I have recently been working with PickWinnersOnline.org. I am very concerned because I have "won" the lottery and now they are asking for banking information to wire transfer the funds into my bank account. All the documentation which they have sent seems OK, however, identitly theft and scams...

View more questions Search