Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lovemybrindlepitbull Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Picking up child - dog gets upset
    I have a BEAUTIFUL one year old brindle pitbull. She is a very sweet and loving dog. The only thing is she gets upset (barking and hyper) whenever we pick up my daughter (she is 7). We are currently expecting and want to nip this problem in the bud before it gets to be too mcuh. She is not an aggressive dog. A little high strung, but this breed is known for that. They only other issue is she chases on out of the 3 cats we have.

Can anyone help? Thank you so much! :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 02:34 PM
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position That site has an additional page on children and dogs with some excellent advice.

Not sure what to say about the cat. I wouldn't leave them alone together. I would also make sure the cat had a safe refuge, the poles with boxes should help. If you were very consistent about correcting the dog every time it started for the cat, and rewarding it when it left it alone, you might train it to leave the cat alone.
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 4, 2007, 08:41 PM
    You need to do some serious training NOW... so you can replace the negative behavior with a good one and reinforce the status of the people vs the dog.

I would recommend either a very good obedience series or a private trainer/behaviorist.

Your instincts are spot on about needing to nip this right away !

-Beth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Picking a dress color [ 27 Answers ]

:-/okie dokie we have a semi-formal dance coming up in may, and its kind of like a mini-prom (im in 8th grade) and the girls all wear dresses. My question is, how do I know what color(s) to look for? I have medium blonde hair, dark brown eyes, and your typical winter pale skin. Im thinking black,...

Upset with my child [ 7 Answers ]

My son is 32 and feels he can be rude to me. He & his wife very seldom see or call me. I have 3 grands by them (he's an only child) and I love them so much but I don't feel that they let me see them enough and they never encourage them to call me. I'll get more into rudeness if someone cares to...

I need help with picking a dress. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a sophomore and I am going to my boyfriends schools semi-formal winter carnival dance. I don't want to be to dressed up since I don't know many of the people there. I am 5' 4", brownish hair, brown eyes, freckles, and kind of tan but not really. And I like darker colors. I also am not looking...

Dyson 04, not picking up properly. [ 1 Answers ]

My Dyson 04 is not picking up properly, unless I push the front down with my foot. As soon as I alter the angle of the handle it stops picking up again until I press down on the front again. The suction is great, the cyclone is turning, I have removed the baseplate and reassembled it. Grateful for...

Picking a Operating System [ 3 Answers ]

I have a PII 400MHz PC with 64MB RAM. What Operating system would you run on this machine. Is WIN98 still supported? Thanks, Tech Man

View more questions Search