Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisakaylou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
    What will happen if I owe an ex-friend money from three years ago it was verbally
    What could happen to me if an ex-friend borrowed me money , it was verbally , about three years ago and wants it back now I have no possible way to pay him because I am involved in chapter 13 for another year remember it was verbal and this is the first time he has said a word about this can he take m to court
    lisakaylou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 02:28 PM
    [what could happen to me if an ex-friend borrowed me money , it was verbally , about three years ago and wants it back now I have no possible way to pay him because I am involved in chapter 13 for another year remember it was verbal and this is the first time he has said a word about this can he take m to court
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 02:44 PM

Assuming
    • you didn't list the debt in your bankruptcy petition as you should have,
    • you don't amend the bankruptcy petition to include the debt, and
    • the statute of limitations is more than 3 years in your state,
    yes he can take you to court.
    dano808080 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 04:33 PM
    No, if there's no written document or proof, he can't take you to court. Additionally, the bankruptcy should shield you as your friend lost his chance when the claim wasn't filed then.

Morally, you may have an obligation, but not legally.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dano808080 View Post
    No, if there's no written document or proof, he can't take you to court.
    It's not that simple. The opening post in this thread, for example, is an admission ("an ex-friend borrowed me money , it was verbally , about three years ago "). Admissions like that constitute proof. So would the creditor's testimony.

Quote Originally Posted by dano808080 View Post
    Additionally, the bankruptcy should shield you as your friend lost his chance when the claim wasn't filed then.
    He probably didn't file a claim because he wasn't listed as a creditor, I'm guessing. And if he wasn't listed, the claim isn't discharged.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Sep 23, 2010, 05:49 PM

I just wanted to chime in with one comment. Even if this person did not take you to court, wouldn't you still want to fulfill your obligations. This friend helped you out when you needed help.
    I know your comment was about the legal aspect but please remember there is still a ethical aspect.

Susan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a friend sue you for money you owe them without legal agreement [ 3 Answers ]

I had just gone through a divorce and lost my job in 2006. While trying to sell my house so I could move I became involved with someone. After 6 mo. Her apt. lease came do. We decided that she would move in and help with the mortgage by paying rent until the house sold. I could not land a job that...

Ex boyfriend claims I owe him money after 6 years [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-boyfriend contacted me recently saying he just bought a house and wants to know if I'm going to pay him back any of the money he lent me. The only money he ever gave me was $1600 to pay a car off. I didn't want to money but he insisted, and we never agreed that it was a loan or that I was...

Suing a friend for money but based agreement of payment verbally [ 6 Answers ]

I have a lease on my name and I had to move somewhere else. The friend offered to take up my lease but stayed for 2 months without signing it and he then moved out.I now owe R1, 600 to the agent and he does not want to pay for the 1 month I asked him to pay. This was a verbal agreement.How can I...

Doi owe my friend money? [ 7 Answers ]

Myself and my friend joined a gym a year ago and it was a two for one deal. My friend a greed the money would come out of his account and that each month I would give him my share of the money, however, this was a verbal agreement. Recently he has become distant and I have not sin him 4 many weeks...

View more questions Search