Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seikababy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 08:20 PM
    Why do people have a problem with other people breeding their dogs?
    I have read in many places that people are always asking someone else to get their dogs spayed. I have a dog and I do plan to breed her but only one time. I do talk to my vet about her care. I feel that I am resopnsile enough to care for my pet. I use sites like this to gain information about the different problems my pet may have. I don't feel it's right for people to judge me by the questions I ask. I was just reading where someone told some one that they should have their pet spayed or give it to someone else because it semms they can not care for that pet, but the person responding to that question has also said that they never had any problem breeding their pet. So why it that person allowed to breed their pet but wanting everyone else to spay theirs??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 08:24 PM

There are too many uncared for pets, too many people have no skill or ability to care for what becomes unwanted puppies, Many take no time or care to see where their puppies go, many to homes that provide poor care or that will allow uncontrolled breeding which adds to all of the above problems, making a cycle of problems.

Many breed and can not even properly afford proper care, such as vets for their one pet.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2010, 09:43 PM

I bred my dog for the usual reasons. He was so perfect, I want an offspring, baby... etc.

I read everything I could possibly read on the subject and even balked at the last minute because I worried about the Mama, but I still did it.

I was very ignorant and the Mama had 3 pups, one that I spent over $700.00 trying to save his life. Most people would not have gone that far or felt the need. The first born died. My pick from the 2 had half a uterus (found out when I went to get her spayed) I love her, but would never do it again.

At that time I didn't realize that the kennels were full of dogs (old and young) that could be adopted. I have always needed a puppy to love me from the beginning of their life, I felt that would make a better bond.

I can get a puppy at the kennel.
    I can get a pure bred dog (not that it matters) at the kennel
    I can save a life at the kennel.

When someone who is not a professional breeds, dogs will die. It may not be the ones you breed, but the ones waiting for a 'forever' home in the kennel will. :(

Go to the 'pictures of our pets' and look at Muttley:) He was a kennel dog and he was saved and now has his forever home.
    He was lucky.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2010, 10:42 PM

Hi again seikababy I am going to cut and paste my response to you from your other thread as I feel it applies here as well and honestly, it was a lot of typing I don't want to have to repeat ;)

Hi Seikababy. The questions Sariss asked may not sound important but they really are.

It sounds like your friend might be a backyard breeder, something most people don't take too kindly too.

When breeding dogs the whole purpose should be to 'better the breed' meaning to try and breed as close to the breed standard as you can get in the hopes of achieving perfection.
    With bettering the breed you a) Are trying to breed as close to the standard as possible by selecting dgs with complimenting features, here's a link to the breed standard for Shih Tzus: American Kennel Club - Shih Tzu

Part b) of bettering the breed is with health. Shih Tzus are prone to several health problems, some of them are testable.
    It is important to get testing done and not just a vet check before breeding so that any genetic 'imperfections' or diseases can be detected before they surface. If you breed a dog that is carrying a problem but not presenting it, it can still pass it on to the puppies. While Shih Tzus are a relatively healthy breed in general they do still have some genetic problems.

As for shoing your dog... yes, I know some people aren't interested in ribbons and grooming their dogs in show coat but it actually is very beneficial to a breeding program. If you don't show your dog, how do you know it fits the breed standard and you really are "bettering the breed"?
    It's all very well and good to read the breed standard in the link I gave above, but how much can you interpret out of it without going to a dog show and having your dog judged by others?
    Here's an snippet from the standard... could you look at your dog and say it follows this perfectly?
    No, not many people who don't show their dogs could, it's pretty hard to interpret and decide what a good spring of rib is if you don't know what they are talking about.

Neck, Topline, Body
    Of utmost importance is an overall well-balanced dog with no exaggerated features. Neck - Well set-on flowing smoothly into shoulders; of sufficient length to permit natural high head carriage and in balance with height and length of dog. Topline - Level. Body -Short-coupled and sturdy with no waist or tuck-up. The Shih Tzu is slightly longer than tall. Fault: Legginess. Chest -Broad and deep with good spring-of-rib, however, not barrel-chested. Depth of ribcage should extend to just below elbow. Distance from elbow to withers is a little greater than from elbow to ground. Croup - Flat. Tail - Set on high, heavily plumed, carried in curve well over back. Too loose, too tight, too flat, or too low set a tail is undesirable and should be penalized to extent of
    That brings us to what is known as 'kennel blindless'. This is when someone owns a dog and thinks it's just the cutest little things ever and should be bred from... they have read the standard and think their dog fits it perfectly, when really, the dog is a pretty average example of the breed and should be desexed. It doesn't make it any less of a good and loving pet, it just means it doesn't fit the bill the be bred from.
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Sep 15, 2010, 12:11 AM

I think there are to many dogs already that need homes and love and dogs shouldn't be breed. Spaying and neutering your pet is smart. However I do understand breeding pure breed dogs. I think the only people who should be breeding there dog is certified breeders and people who have been doing it for a long time. They sell there dogs before the litter is even born. My family friends had two beautiful pure beagles. They breed them and could not sell all the puppies, now they have 4 dogs. I think the dog should be registered if your going to breed it. You should try to get buyers before and during, so you don't have left over puppies. I don't think every **** and harry out there should be able to breed there dog because there dog is cute and they want to breed them. If you are responsible about the breeding you watch for temperament and health, and you give the puppies good homes there should be no problem. But don't go nuts and breed your dog too much remember there are other dogs that need homes.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 01:57 AM

I have to add some definitions:

There are puppy mills that breed and sell dogs as a commodity with no thought to the health or happiness of the animal. Care for the commodity is minimal, hopefully extending to at least food and water but seldom further.

There are backyard breeders that want to be puppy mills, making money from their pets but sometimes going as far as getting vaccines to inoculate the puppies.

Then there are responsible breeders who want their puppies to be better dogs than the parents were. Responsible breeders sometimes break even if they charge a thousand or two for their pups.

Puppy mills and backyard breeders are the causes of all these "designer" breeds like cockapoos and golden doodles and maltipoos when they try to profit from their own carelessness in allowing two different breeds to cross by accident.

So, seikababy, which would you like to be? Can you afford the ten grand it takes to raise a litter responsibly?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 04:19 AM

I have nothing more to add, but I just wanted to voice my opinion here too. I volunteer at a shelter, as do many of our pet people here, and the sad truth is, we watch lovely, amazing dogs and cats get put to sleep each day because no one wants them.

It all starts with the irresponsible pet owner, who just wants to breed one time. Lots of times these owners don't do any genetic testing, and basically slap two dogs together and hope for the best. Sometimes these pups are sick or have underlying health problems. The next owner may not want these issues and they either sell or surrender their dogs to local shelters, a lot of times these dogs end up abused, neglected or spending a miserable exsistance in a cage.

And then there are the people who sell their pups to pet stores, and these dogs are kept in glass boxes until they are sold and almost 99% of them have some sort of behavioral issues, house breaking, aggression or anxiety issues. Just read some of threads regarding pet store puppies.

There is an Expert here with a signature line that reads "Why breed or buy, while others die". Those are amazing words to live by.

A lot of time these backyard breeders are in it to make a quick buck, but to produce quality CKC or AKC registered dogs is quite costly, and even the most reputable breeder is not making any money.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2010, 04:46 AM

Roxie Video Productions, videographer in las vegas, nevada | joanie spina | video production services | wedding videographer

Right there is my reason. I had to work in a nightmare similar to that when I was in College. I had to walk down the rows of stray dogs and cats, with a list. On any given day, I'd have to pick a group of animals that had to be euthanised. They didn't have to be sick, they didn't have to be mean. We just didn't have the capacity, and they had to go.

I've seen purebred dogs, puppies, beloved family pets, you name it. I've seen them put to death on a daily basis.

Sure you think you have homes lined up for your pets, but unless you check on them every 6 months, who knows where they will end up? I once saw an entire litter of dogs (three dogs) eventually come to the shelter at varying ages. All but one were euthanised due to capacity issues.

That's the reality. No kill shelters are a pipe dream. Sure they exist, but it doesn't stop the thousands and thousands of dogs dying every day because irresponsible people choose to breed their dog "just once". And having to kill these dogs daily is NOT the shelters fault. Do you think they want to look at a room full of beautiful, friendly, young dogs and have to decide who to kill, and who gets another day? It absolutely kills you, and it doesn't take time before you get resentful towards the people who created the problem - backyard breeders.

This is why I have decided in my opinion, breeding should only be done by people who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Registered, health tested, shown and titled dogs. Nothing less. Otherwise, go to the shelter when your dog has puppies and pick out some dogs for the staff that they have to euthanize because you just brought irresistible puppies into the world, which screws the chances of a shelter dog finding a home in the end.
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    go to the shelter when your dog has puppies and pick out some dogs for the staff that they have to euthanize because you just brought irresistable puppies into the world, which screws the chances of a shelter dog finding a home in the end.
    I love that part. You may not help the dogs but at least you've saved the shelter volunteers one day's heart wrenching decision.

Down East every rescue operator around here fills up in about three weeks.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seikababy View Post
    I have read in many places that poeple are always asking someone else to get their dogs spayed. I have a dog and I do plan to breed her but only one time. I do talk to my vet about her care. I feel that I am resopnsile enough to care for my pet. I use sites like this to gain information about the different problems my pet may have. I don't feel it's right for people to judge me by the questions I ask. I was just reading where someone told some one that they should have their pet spayed or give it to someone else because it semms they can not care for that pet, but the person responding to that question has aslo said that they never had any problem breeding thier pet. So why it that person allowed to breed their pet but wanting everyone else to spay theirs???
    Here's the reality.

You say you only plan to breed one time, so lets do the math. Let's say your dog has the average litter, which is around 5 puppies. So, you find those puppies good homes, and in the meantime, because you bred, 5 shelter dogs will die.

Now, out of the people that adopted your puppies, 2 (only 2) decide they want to have "only one litter". Each of their dogs has 5 puppies. That's another 10 shelter dogs that will die.

Those 10 puppies find homes, and out of the 10 only 4 will be allowed to have "only one litter". Another 5 puppies each, another 20 shelter dogs dead.

Continue doing the math, because the reality is, the numbers aren't even accurate, most people that purchase from a backyard breeder also backyard breed and most times they don't only have one litter. The numbers will actually be higher than the examples I've given.

So, by having "only one litter" you will eventually be responsible for 100's if not 1000's of dogs dying.

The reality, over 5 million dogs are euthanized in shelters every year in the US alone. Five million dogs! Why? Because of over breeding. It all starts with "only one litter".

I know you don't want to hear it, no one does. No one wants to believe that they're part of the problem, because you're only thinking of your one litter, just like every other backyard breeder out there. If only one person decides not to breed because of what we've said, that's 1000's of dogs saved. So please think about it, read what we've written and see the truth. You decision will have an impact either way.
    Festoids Posts: 16, Reputation: -7

Sep 15, 2010, 12:37 PM
    Everybody goes on and on about the dogs in the shelter and the perceived pet overpopulation issue. Here's the deal, the reason for the pet overpopulation issue is not because of backyard breeders or puppy mills or irresponsible owners. It is because of animal welfarists and animal rightists. A little history if you will.

Henry Bergh is the founder of the ASPCA. Bergh disagreed with how some people were treating the animals. Since Bergh had money, was a socialite and had the ear of the political elite, he decided it would be best to impose his beliefs upon the populace through the passage of laws. And this is exactly what he did. In the past when the city had a problem with stray animals they caught the animals, caged them up and drowned them in the river. Responsible owners who no longer wanted their animals, killed them (or sold them or gave them away, but it was problem solved without state intervention). Sure, some were probably dumped to go fend for themselves, but that in and of itself is the very premise of animal rights.

So with the passage of Bergh's laws, animal shelters started cropping up. These shelters initially were funded by private donations (all well and good), but the animal welfarists convinced the state it would be in the public good to have the state manage these shelters through taxpayer dollars. Then more laws were passed which made it illegal for one to dump their animal on the side of the road. Or to even kill their own animal. The owner is encouraged to bring the animal to the shelter where it can be killed and where people on internet forum boards, from atop their moral pedestal, can spit their vitriol in vilifying and deriding these people as irresponsible pet owners.

And now we have laws which prohibit unnecessary cruelty (pretty subjective term), abandonment and a host of other activities.

Listen,dude. It's your dog, your property. Do with it as you will as you will always find somebody, somewhere who's more than willing to control you and your property.

Ironic thing here. I'm sure that most of you are against cruelty. Then why do you advocate for the permanent mutilation of an animals genitalia (spaying/neutering)?
    Dogs Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 12:55 PM

Okay festoids, for one thing, have you ever volunteered YOUR time in a shelter? From your post above I would say no.

Here's the deal, the reason for the pet overpopulation issue is not because of backyard breeders or puppy mills or irresponsible owners. It is because of animal welfarists and animal rightists. A little history if you will.
    No actually it's because of irresponsible pet owners and BYB's. Do a little current research. We have obviously come a long way in rescue since Henry Bergh time. No, we no longer drown our animals, in fact we give them every fighting chance that they deserve. It's not like they come in and three days later they are killed. SPCA's run on very little of "your" tax payers dollars, and most of the funds come solely from donations. Whether it's a vet donating their time and supplies or a person off the street donating their time.

Then more laws were passed which made it illegal for one to dump their animal on the side of the road. Or to even kill their own animal. The owner is encouraged to bring the animal to the shelter where it can be killed and where people on internet forum boards, from atop their moral pedestal, can spit their vitriol in vilifying and deriding these people as irresponsible pet owners.
    Not entirely true, while it is illegal to dump an animal on the side of the road, as it should be, it is NOT illegal to take your animals life in your hands for a good cause. Example Rabies, an animal suffering etc... The sad truth is, if they were responsible pet owners, they wouldn't grow tired of their pet and decide to surrender it because they were bored. An animal is a living being, and a life time decision. How dare you point YOUR nasty finger at shelter workers and the people on this forum, who have a complete passion for animals and their well being. And yes people who breed with no health concern to the dog and pups, ARE IRRESPONSIBLE!

And now we have laws which prohibit unnecessary cruelty (pretty subjective term), abandonment and a host of other activities
    And you oppose this? Why? You think people have the right to do what they please to an animal? You think they should have the right to abuse and torture animals? Hmm sounds like the makings of a psycho killer to me...

ronic thing here. I'm sure that most of you are against cruelty. Then why do you advocate for the permanent mutilation of an animals genitalia (spaying/neutering)?
    LOL are you kidding me?? Maybe you should read up on the pro's and con's of spaying/neutering an animal. Here are JUST a few:

Benefits of Spaying

• Prevents pregnancy and the complications arising from pregnancy and delivery

• Eliminates the heat cycle - you won't have to listen to the sounds of your female in heat, trying to get out and find a mate

• Prevents unwelcome males from trying to seek out your female pet in heat

• Reduces the urge to roam. This makes it less likely that you will lose your pet, which in turn makes your pet less likely to contract a disease, get in a fight, get injured, or become a victim to cruelty, poison, or traffic.

• Eliminates sexual discomfort, distress, or distraction... making your pet happier and more content.

• Reduces or eliminates the possibility of disease in the reproductive system.

Benefits of Neutering

• Reduces the distracting and destructive behavior associated with the male's efforts to get out and find a mate

• Reduces the urge to roam. This makes it less likely that you will lose your pet, which in turn makes your pet less likely to contract a disease, get in a fight, get injured, or become a victim to cruelty, poison, or traffic.

• Eliminates sexual discomfort, distress, or distraction... making your pet happier and more content.

• Eliminates testicular tumors and reduces prostate gland problems.

• In cats, neutering stops or reduces marking behavior (territorial spraying of urine).

• Reduces the urge to fight.

Benefits of Spaying or Neutering Your Pet
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 03:02 PM
    I love that bit about spitting vitriol. At least Festoids can type. I hope he and Michael Vick enjoy getting in the ring for dog owners to bet on.
    Dogs Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 03:05 PM

Sounds just like something he would say. Was watching Dr. Phil (I know, I know) but Fester here sounds just like the guy who was arrested for dog fighting.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2010, 03:14 PM

If you decide to breed your dog are you getting it's eyes tested? Hips? Is it purebred (And no, there is no such thing as "purebred without papers")? Are you going to offer a health guarantee as well as take the dog back no matter how many years it has been away, and no matter what the problem is? Do you know everything there is to know about the breed of dog your wishing to breed (new homes are going to ask you all sorts of questions)? Do you have thousands of dollars to pay for a c-section if something goes wrong? Do you already have pre-approved homes found for all the pups that will be born? Does your dog have all the traits that the breed should?

I doubt it.

Yes, mutts are great dogs (Ive owned one purebred dog and he was a gift), but purebred dogs are bred for a job, and COMPASSIONATE breeders breed there dogs for the sake of the breed, not for the money, not for the "my dog need to have one litter, not because they want there kids to see it, but because they work 24/7 trying to better the breed and preserve it. Why would you breed more mutts when millions and millions die every year sitting in a shelter and dying alone? How can you assure your pups are not going to end up in the shelter contributing to overpopulation and a high death rate? How can you assure your dogs are going to a wonderful home who will never beat them, neglect them or starve them?And a better question, how well would you sleep at night knowing you just killed a few shelter dogs who deserve a second chance to show someone what they can do?

-Why breed or buy when shelter dogs die-
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Festoids View Post
    Everybody goes on and on about the dogs in the shelter and the perceived pet overpopulation issue. Here's the deal, the reason for the pet overpopulation issue is not because of backyard breeders or puppy mills or irresponsible owners. It is because of animal welfarists and animal rightists. A little history if you will.

Henry Bergh is the founder of the ASPCA. Bergh disagreed with how some people were treating the animals. Since Bergh had money, was a socialite and had the ear of the political elite, he decided it would be best to impose his beliefs upon the populace through the passage of laws. And this is exactly what he did. In the past when the city had a problem with stray animals they caught the animals, caged them up and drowned them in the river. Responsible owners who no longer wanted their animals, killed them (or sold them or gave them away, but it was problem solved without state intervention). Sure, some were probably dumped to go fend for themselves, but that in and of itself is the very premise of animal rights.

So with the passage of Bergh's laws, animal shelters started cropping up. These shelters initially were funded by private donations (all well and good), but the animal welfarists convinced the state it would be in the public good to have the state manage these shelters through taxpayer dollars. Then more laws were passed which made it illegal for one to dump their animal on the side of the road. Or to even kill their own animal. The owner is encouraged to bring the animal to the shelter where it can be killed and where people on internet forum boards, from atop their moral pedestal, can spit their vitriol in vilifying and deriding these people as irresponsible pet owners.

And now we have laws which prohibit unnecessary cruelty (pretty subjective term), abandonment and a host of other activities.

Listen,dude. It's your dog, your property. Do with it as you will as you will always find somebody, somewhere who's more than willing to control you and your property.

Ironic thing here. I'm sure that most of ya'll are against cruelty. Then why do you advocate for the permanent mutilation of an animals genitalia (spaying/neutering)?
    I think you may be suffering from a cranial-rectal inversion.
    JMO I'm no doctor but it seems obvious.
    Dogs Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 04:18 PM

I have to tell this story, sorry guys.

I still loose sleep over this one dog. He came in at around 5 months, beautiful lab boxer mix. His owner bred her dogs, sold all of the pups but this one.

This dog stayed with us for roughly four months. He was adopted out. Came back 3-4 weeks later tied to the shelter doors. He stayed with us for another 6 months or so. Became cage crazy. I spent as much time as I could with this dog, took the night shift one night, and had him out in the shelter on free roam. He cornered me in the shelter, and was growling, snapping and barking. He was normally such a friendly dog, so passive, so eager to please. He ended up biting me that night, and with in the following 3 days he was euthanized. Deemed un-adoptable and aggressive.

I know this dog would have made an amazing family pet if he was only given the right chance in life. I went in that room with him and patted his neck while he licked my hand and wagged his tail.he died peacfully and In my opinion a far more humane death thean spending the rest of his days in a cage.

I still cry and spend nights awake because of this dog. And if I didn't have my own problem child (a rescue) at home, I would have NOT have hesitated to take him home with me.
    Pets Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 06:48 PM
    You want some recent history. Backyard breeders and puppymills are responsible for the majority of the dogs on this earth today. Legitimate breeders don't adopt their dogs out to people that aren't responsible. A legit breeder will take the puppy beck if the person that adopts it should wish to relinquish ownership. Breeder pups don't end up in the local shelter. That's a fact!

Who cares about Henry Burgh? It's the people alive today caring for the animals discarded by humans that have a say in what happens to these animals. Until you spend 8 hours a day 5 days a week volunteering in a shelter, watching 20 - 50 dogs come in every day because someone has decided it's too much trouble to care for, until that day, you have no right to say anything about shelters, and I suggest you get off your high horse, because I have no problem pushing you down. I doubt any of us do.

OMG! How could we have laws that prohibit unnecessary cruelty? What kind of human beings are we? I mean really, to not allow people to be cruel to a living, breathing, feeling being. What's wrong with this world? Where's the sarcasm font again? :rolleyes:

No, you listen dude, it's not property, it's a living animal, and until people like you realize that living things aren't property, aren't a right, but a responsibility, a commitment, and worthy and deserving of every care, love, and attention, this world will continue to go to hell. Shame on you!

Ironic thing here. I'm sure that most of you are against cruelty. Then why do you advocate for the permanent mutilation of an animals genitalia (spaying/neutering)?
    LMAO! You think having a dog altered is cruel? You're a trip. Do you know anything about dogs, or do you just enjoy spewing feces out of your pie hole?
    Pets Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 07:08 PM

Festoids : Little guilt trip here? Shelter dogs will die if he breeds his dog. Why is he responsible for a shelter's dogs? Why?
    I have to comment on this.

Why is he responsible? We all are. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. If you breed your dog, and you're not a legitimate breeder, you're part of a very big problem, or do you think that 5 million dogs dying yearly in the US alone is a little problem?

What am I asking, you think people should have the right to be cruel to their animals. :mad: I really have to wonder why you're on the dog thread to begin with, seeing as you don't like dogs.
    Festoids Posts: 16, Reputation: -7

Sep 15, 2010, 07:16 PM
    Okay festoids, for one thing, have you ever volunteered YOUR time in a shelter? From your post above I would say no.
    Oh? You're asking me for my qualifications? Yeah, yeah, I know, it's an internet forum and you'll probably write "I don't believe you." But here goes.

1. 91T Animal Care Specialist, US Army.
    - South Atlantic Veterinary Service Support District, Ft. Stewart, GA
    - Southern Europe Veterinary Detachment, Caserma Ederle, Vicenza, Italy.
    - Training at Ft. Sam Houston, TX.
    - Years of service: 1994-1999

Animal Control Officer, North Carolina

2. National Animal Control Association (NACA) Training Academy Level 1 Certificate. Signed - Johnnie W. Mays, Executive Director

3. Large Animal Emergency Rescue Workshop (Certified) - Instructor: Dr. Thomas Gimenez, Large Animal Emergency Rescue, International Society of Fire Service Instructors

4. Palmer Cap-Chur Equipment Certification. Instructor: Ralph W. Houser, D.V.M.

5. Certified Animal Cruelty Investigator

But to answer your question, no, I've never volunteered at a shelter.

No actually it's because of irresponsible pet owners and BYB's. Do a little current research.
    Incorrect. If it wasn't for state mandated shelters and laws then people would have to be responsible.

We have obviously come a long way in rescue since Henry Bergh time. No, we no longer drown our animals, in fact we give them every fighting chance that they deserve.
    Once again you're incorrect. Every fighting chance? Have you released them from the shelter to run free and fend for themselves? That constitutes a fighting chance. As opposed to keeping them in the shelter until their date of death at an employee's hands.

But we do stuff them into gas chambers or fill their veins with an overdose of barbiturates to cause the animals. Why? Because it makes us feel good about what we do to the animal. To the animal it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's purple juice or the gas or a bullet or a guillotine. The animal doesn't possess the cognitive awareness to appreciate the method of death. We do. To the animal, dead is dead.

It's not like they come in and three days later they are killed.
    In some cases they are killed the moment the previous owner has signed them over to the shelter.

SPCA's run on very little of "your" tax payers dollars, and most of the funds come solely from donations. Whether it's a vet donating their time and supplies or a person off the street donating their time.
    Not talking about SPCA's. If all the shelters were privately run without taxpayer support I would have no complaint. As it is, it's the animal welfarists and rightists that insisted governments operate shelters in addition to the privately owned shelters.

Not intiraly true, while it is illegal to dump an animal on the side of the road, as it should be, it is NOT illegal to take your animals life in your hands for a good cause. Example Rabies, an animal suffering etc...
    What else would be a good cause? Who determines a "good cause"? How about an unprovoked dog bite?

The sad truth is, if they were responsible pet owners, they wouldn't grow tired of their pet and decide to surrender it because they were bored.
    Only because they're bored, eh? Frankly, I've heard many, many explanations as to why they were surrendering their animal(s). Even had one guy say by giving up his dog he could buy more beer as opposed to dog food. But never heard anybody say they were bored with their animal.

An animal is a living being, and a life time decision.
    And? What does your opinion mean to another person and their property?

How dare you point YOUR nasty finger at shelter workers and the people on this forum, who have a complete passion for animals and their well being.

... to the detriment of others.

And yes people who breed with no health concern to the dog and pups, ARE IRRESPONSIBLE!
    No. The prospective owners are irresponsible for not educating themselves on looking for a proper dog and breeder. The breeder is merely using his/her property as they see fit. It's up to us as to whether we purchase or not.

And you oppose this? Why? You think people have the right to do what they please to an animal? You think they should have the right to abuse and torture animals? Hmm sounds like the makings of a psycho killer to me...
    People possess the right to do with their property as they wish so long as their actions cause no harm to another person or that person's property. Now define abuse and torture. Please do. Because state laws are pretty subjective in that matter.

LOL are you kidding me?? Maybe you should read up on the pro's and con's of spaying/neutering an animal. Here are JUST a few
    I didn't mention the pros and cons of altering one's animal. What I did mention was that the altering is an intentional act of mutilation to the genitalia, or more correctly, the reproductive organs of animal. And it causes pain and in most cases it's unnecessary to alter an animal so that would, by definition, constitute cruelty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We have to serve child first or old people when they dining with a group of people [ 2 Answers ]

We have to serve child first or old people when they dining with a group of people

How much hot dogs and hamburger for 40 people. [ 8 Answers ]

I am hosting a baby shower and expect to have 40-50 people (about 10 are children). I need to know how much hamburger and hot dogs I would need. Any ideas to cut costs would also be welcomed!

Poor people owning dogs. [ 32 Answers ]

Here's a question that I'll ask in it's most simple form: How do we all feel about poor people owning dogs?

View more questions Search