Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Sep 9, 2010, 01:51 PM
    Is group health insurance cheaper than individual?
    We currently offer individual reimbursements to our employees and have been thinking about getting group insurance. However, I've heard the process is a both extensive and I want to make sure we can offer about the same (or better) coverage through the group plan. We are only 3 employees which I imagine does not give us a lot of bargaining power ;-)

So, in general, does group health offer better plans/rates than individual coverage? We are based in Los Angeles, CA
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 02:06 PM

Usually group health insurance benefits (dental, extended health including prescription) is better then having to buy it personally, (the premiums are skyhigh, that is why individuals go without) but ten or more employees makes it even more worthwhile; I doubt if 3 employees would make it cost effective. All you can do is get a quote from 2 or 3 insurance providers. Health benefits for employees is going over to unions now, that is the way mine is done in Canada, but employees are in the hundreds.

Tick
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Sep 9, 2010, 02:41 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Thanks for this - I think I will just get some quotes and see what happens. I just find the paperwork for time-consuming!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2010, 06:37 PM

The real problem is that 3 people a group does not really make, most insurance requires 10 or 12 at a near min.

Many very small groups look at using payroll services such as ADT or others to do their payroll and to combine with 1000's of others for group benefits

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health insurance for diabetic, otherwise in good health [ 5 Answers ]

Next month, I will be landing in Texas as a new immigrant on my Green Card (female aged 55 years - not working). I have diabetese which is well controlled bu insulin and am otherwise in good health. Which companies would provide me a health insurance cover, even if they put a waiting period for the...

Pre-existing Conditions when switching from Individual insurance to group coverage [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have MS and have been treated for such under my individual health insurance plan ( I do not work and my husband is self-employed). If he gets a job working for a company and we switch our insurance plan to a group/employer covered plan, will my MS be considered a pre-existing condition...

Car Accident- No police, no insurance claim- hounded by other individual involved [ 4 Answers ]

I was involved in a fender bender about 2 months ago. The police were not called and insurance info was not exchanged. Names were exchanged and a verbal discussion took place about paying the expenses to fix her vehicle. Even though I feel that it was both our faults I didn't want to argue with her...

View more questions Search