Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ps_512503664 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 09:02 AM
    Diversion - paid $40. Do I have a criminal record
    I was charged back in 2006 with shoplifting. Went to court, got a diversion and was told to pay $40. That was the end of it. Do I have a criminal record? I am on a lot of medication.

Sep 2, 2010, 09:05 AM
    [i was caught shoplifting back in 2006. Went to court and they said it was diversion and I had to pay $40.00. I am on lots of medication. Do I have a criminal record?QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]

Sep 2, 2010, 09:10 AM
    I was charged with shoplifting back in 2006. I had my fingerprints and picture taken. I went to court and they said it was a diversion and I had to pay $40.00. Do I have a criminal record and can I get it erased? I am on lots of medication.
    conmunn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 02:32 PM
    No, you do not have a criminal record because you got diversion which means that the charges were dropped. People only get criminal records if they were convicted of a crime (i.e. if you were charged, went to court and were found guilty). However, you may have a police record, but keep in mind that is different from a criminal record. Sometimes future employers might ask for your permission to do a police background check, and in that case if the police made an incident report during your arrest then the employer would be able to see you got arrested. It wouldn't say why you got arrested so the employer might ask for details and it's entirely up to your discretion how much info you want to give. If you want you can go to a police station and ask for a copy of your police record just to see what exactly is on it (they might charge you a small fee though). It could also include non-criminal involvement with the police, like if you ever filed against someone for sexual assault, or if the police transported you to a hospital.
    conmunn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 02:38 PM
    Also, I meant to add that police records are generally kept for 5 years and cleared out after that, so if your incident happened in 2006 then it might be cleared sometime in 2011 or it's possibly it's already gone if there ever was one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can you do with a criminal record? [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of jobs can you possibly receive with a criminal record? And if you move to another state and you apply for a job will your record show in that state also?

Theft under $5000 in Ontario - diversion, police records check vs. Criminal record! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, My situation is unique in that I am a member of a PROFESSION that requires a police records check and Criminal Records Check. I am also up for a government job and don't know if they've already checked my record or not. Either way, I'm looking at losing work and feel FULLY screwed....

Completed Diversion - Criminal record [ 1 Answers ]

I have completed the diversion program, and would like to know how long it takes until the charges are withdrawn. Also, I am wondering if the police can still have access to the fingerprints and records of the proceedings. If I ever get pulled, can the police see the offence and that the charges...

Do I have criminal Record? [ 8 Answers ]

Ummm I was just wondering, I was caught stealing from the company I was working for. They had the police take me in but I wasn't fingerprinted nor had my picture taken. They had a 3rd party company charged me and I paid a fine. Do I have a criminal record?

Criminal Record [ 1 Answers ]

I live in canada, when I was much younger I got caught shoplifting twice, two separate incidences... the first, had no consequences, I was fingerprinted and all the jazz and taken into a room and qeustioned and then I went home and that was the end of it... The second I had to do community...

View more questions Search