Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brendaandmax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 06:33 PM
    Why does my dog to angry at bedtime
    Hi, when we tell our cocker that's its bedtime he growls shows teeth gets very angry, we put him in the kitchen at bedtime on his own bed. I do know he thinks he is alfa male but how to stop him from growling
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2010, 08:20 PM

For proper instruction and guidance I would HIGHLY suggest that you speak with a trainer/behaviorist..
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 02:29 AM

Cockers tend to be dominance oriented. I agree that a trainer would be your best bet.
    doggirl Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 12:05 PM

Be strict and say NO don't let him take over and don't give in. put him on the lead and lead him to his bed. Show him who's boss.. give him a tip on the nose when he growls.. enough that he know he is being bold- golden rule Don't give in :D.. it may not work but its worth a try :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2010, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doggirl View Post
    show him whos boss.. give him a tip on the nose when he growls..
    That will probably lead to someone's hand getting bitten. I wouldn't advise to do that.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 12:43 PM

How old is he?

Is he angry or afraid? A dog that is afraid will exhibit most of the signs of an angry dog but has a greater chance of biting if the handler/owner isn't careful.

How do you put him to bed at night? How pleasant is bedtime for him? Is the kitchen where he is 'banished' when he is naughty? Does he have positive associations with the kitchen or only negative ones?
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2010, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brendaandmax View Post
    hi, when we tell our cocker thats its bedtime he growls shows teeth gets very angry, we put him in the kitchen at bedtime on his own bed. i do know he thinks he is alfa male but how to stop him from growling
    The only way to stop that behaviour is to prove to him that you are the alpha in the pack.

HOW

The easiest way to do that is to take your dog on a power walk. Here's what to do. First, plan your walk. Plan the time you will take your walk. The best time is after your dog has relieved his bowells. That way your walk won't be interrupted. Plan to take at least one hour. Next, decide your route include in it a place where your dog is permitted to relieve himself. Even though he has already done so, walking moves the bowells and your dog (as well as you) may need to go again.

Ok, now here's the instructions:

1. Observe your dog. When he is calm, get the leash. If your dog is typical of an alpha, he will get overly excited when he notices that you have the leash. DON'T DO ANYTHING. Don't look at him, don't acknowledge him UNTIL HE CALMS DOWN. No matter how long it takes. Go to the kitchen and have a snack if you want. Or read a book. But wait until he calms down.

2. After he calms down call him to you. DO NOT GO TO HIM. He must come to you. He wants to walk and the walk will be his reward for being calm and obedient.

Therefore I repeat again, do not acknowledge him until he calms down and do not go to him. He must come to you.

3. If he gets excited when you call, repeat step 2. Repeat it as often as it takes until your dog is calm.

4. ASSUMING THAT YOUR DOG REMAINS CALM AFTER YOU CALL, and assuming he has come to you when you called. Put the leash on him. If he hasn't come to you with a verbal call alone, you might want to entice him with a bit of food.

4a. For a leash, I prefer a choke collar of some sort. But use whatever is your preference. Only thing is, keep it high on the neck next to his head. Have you ever seen how dog handlers in dog shows place the leash. They do that so that they can have better control of the dog. And the dogs don't seem to mind.

5. Now with the leash on the dog, the dog might get excited again. You must become the strong silent type. Your communication with your dog will be through your leash. SAY NOT ONE WORD. Let me repeat, DO NOT SAY A WORD. Especially do not call the dog's name.

6. Now, observe your dog. He should be used to your waiting by now. But if he isn't and he is excited, simply observe him. Wait until he sits down AND drops his ears. Do not move if he is in an alert position. If his ears are up and he is looking at the door, do not move.

Wait until he is at ease and looking elsewhere. If he lies down that is even better.

7. Now the walk will begin. The alpha dog always leads, therefore you must be the first out the door. If he has beat you to it, return and start from step 6.

Let me give you a few preliminary instructions.

a. Begin to walk and do not stop except to obey traffic laws or UNLESS YOU WANT TO, in order to talk to a neighbor or whatever.
    b. Do not let your dog pull you. But if he does, correct him by jerking the leash quickly but firmly to the side. This will throw him off balance.
    c. If you must drag your dog, do so.
    d. If your dog looks anywhere but at you or forward, correct him by jerking the leash.
    e. Do not let your dog sniff the ground, sniff any bushes or trees.
    f. Do not let your dog pee. Do not let your dog relieve himself.

8. Take your dog to an area where he can relieve his bowells, let him do so, then resume your walk. If he doesn't relieve his bowells whatever amount of time you have planned and begin to walk back home.

9. The walk back is the same as the walk home. Don't let him pull, sniff any bushes, trees, poles or anything. Don't let him become fixated on anything or anyone. If he does, correct him with a quick jerk of the leash and keep walking.

10. Finally you are near your house. FREQUENTLY, everything breaks down right here. Don't let that happen. If the dog begins to pull you to get home, jerk him to let him know that is unacceptable and stop. Do not proceed until he is calm and submissive again.

11. Now you are at the door. Stop. Do not move. If the dog pulls towards the door correct him. If he knows the sit command, command him to sit. When YOU are good and ready, open the door. You must enter through the door while your dogs sits and waits outside.

12. Invite your dog in the house. Remove his leash and proceed to live in your house.

If the power walk has worked, you will find that your dog has been transformed. He will become your shadow. He will obey your every command. Sometimes even without speaking. Dogs are either mind readers or they read our body language so well that they appear to be.

An easier version of the power walk is the power bike journey. Everything is the same except you ride a bike and the dog follows beside you. This is easier because the momentum created by the speed of the bike makes it harder to distract the dog. It also tires the dog so that he is more submissive when he gets home.

This is not a one time thing. Do it as often as you can, everyday if possible.

WHY IT WORKS

Because you have proven yourself the leader by showing that you control his behaviour. Including when he relieves himself, whom he meets and what he sniffs and marks.

There are two types of dogs, followers or leaders. Dogs know this well. They are prepared to follow anyone who will lead. But if no one else will lead, they are ready to do it.

If you don't lead them and you don't permit them to lead, they become insecure and all types of behavioral problems ensue.

Now, many people object that if you don't let a dog pee and sniff, you aren't letting them be a dog. But that isn't true. You are simply not letting them be a dominant dog. You are letting them be an obedient and well balanced dog who is confident that YOU his leader will protect him and take care of him.

That is the difference. A dominant dog is sure of himself and UNSURE OF YOU. That is why he growls at you and some of them even bite and attack those members of their pack that do not do what he expects.

A calm and submissive dog is confident that his master will protect and take care of him.

Which type of dog do you want?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bedtime Fits [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a daughter that is two years old and she will be three in just three mo. But she is still sleeping in my bed and to be completely honest I never minded it was nice that she wanted to cuddle every night. Now that she is getting older it is getting really hard to be able to to sleep...

Upset bedtime [ 1 Answers ]

My two year old daughter is very disturbing at bedtime. She will be very good then all of a sudden she takes her p.j.s off, tells me to move from the chair and doesn't like to be touched. If I cross my legs she gets upset or move at all she gets furious and screams. She also comes into our bedroom...

Adult Trained Dog Peeing On Floor When Angry [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am in need of some advice! To better understand let me first give you her BRIEF HISTORY: Ema Lea is a 5yr old Basenji mix that I got from the pound about a year & a half ago. She is fully trained, spaid, and extremely smart. For the first month I had her I was able to leave her...

Grumpy dog at bedtime [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I have a 12 year old desexed male Collie cross called Mitch who is generally a great dog. He's great company, obedient, smartest dog I have ever owned or met face to face and a very much loved member of our family. The only dramas we have ever had with hiim is that he barks a little too...

Two year old bedtime blues! [ 3 Answers ]

My two year old used to have problems sleeping through the night, now he is having trouble going down for naps and bed. Like today he didn't take a nap, and fell asleep on the floor.. so I put him to bed. The minute that I laid him down he started to cry. Last night I put him to bed at 8:30 and he...

View more questions Search