Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loveless044 Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2010, 05:59 PM
    What really works for acne?
    My skin is terrible. It's not really bumpy and sore. I tent to get bumps sometimes though. Sometimes little bitty ones that look white but they hurt SO BAD when I touch them. And HUGE ones that just look totally unattractive and red.

I do drink a lot of soda so I would assume it has a great deal to do with it. But it seems to worsen when I do decide to stop drinking soda. Weird huh?. Well my I use clean & clear a lot but nothing works... what should I do. I hate my skin.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 06:22 PM

Have you seen a Physician? Sometimes antibiotics and specialized products work wonders!

Aug 26, 2010, 01:43 PM

Actually I haven't. I was once going to a dermatologist for my skin. Nothing they gave me or recommended I use worked either. It was really pointless seeing them. I only went to about three appointments in one year and they never set another appointment for me to come back.

I used to have it really bad on my face and chest but it cleared up on my chest. But there are still dark marks from where the bigger bumps were.

What should I do about my face though?

Aug 26, 2010, 01:44 PM

I meant actually I have... but that was about two or three years ago.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 01:51 PM

I would do nothing without a Physician - I'd be afraid of scarring.

Aug 26, 2010, 01:55 PM

Well I guess that means I should pay my physician a visit... Hopefully she can do something about it... Well as far as my food intake, what should or shouldn't I eat to prevent any further breakouts?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 02:32 PM

I have a few questions: I've been dealing with acne by entire life and yep, I might be able to fix it with the help of a physician.

1. How oily is your hair? How long is it?
    2. How sweaty do you get in the breakout areas?
    3. Rub you fingers in the breakout areas. What are the areas? Do they feel oily?
    4. Describe the acne. Are there any triggers? Weather, menstrual if female, foods, hormones if a teenager etc?
    5. What soap do you use in these areas?
    6. Are you male or female

Stay away from chocolate.

I've had good success for nearly 40 years. Some stuff is OTC. One is mixed from common ingredients. Some is prescription.

Prescriptions are used as needed for prevention and "as needed" after the fact.

The goal is to focus on prevention.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 02:34 PM

I think different foods are triggers in different people - when I was younger I needed a Physician to drain the postules and I needed antibiotics.

I'm not a big chocolate fan, never have been (ice cream is my vice) BUT nuts used to make me flare. I'm extremely fair skinned so any type of a break out would be very, very obvious. I also found that I used to lean my chin on my palm, sort of rub my face now and then, and the Doctor told me this is a very good way to cause breakouts. His advice? Keep your hands off your face!

I never found anything over the counter that worked.

Aug 26, 2010, 03:08 PM

Well KISS,
    1. my hair is shoulder length and is never oily.
    2. I rarely get sweaty because I'm often in cool air, especially at work.
    3. My face is VERY oily. Especially around my nose, but bumps never show up on my nose.
    4. I don't know what the triggers are, but I am sometimes stressed. And last year when, for a month or so, I was no longer stressed about anything I noticed my skin had cleared up a great deal.
    5. I use dial soap [sometimes the liquid shower gel and sometimes the bar)which I do use on my face] clean and clear morning scrub when I'm in the shower in the mornings and even at night, and I follow with clearasil daily facial scrub.
    6. I am a 17 year old female.

I rarely eat chocolate. Maybe once every two weeks. I often distaste it. Only around my menstrual cycle do I have cravings for chocolate.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2010, 03:11 PM
    Since you said you drink a lot of soda, my suggestion is to avoid all processed foods, sugars--high fructose corn syrup and it's replacements like aspartame--and meat for at least a couple months. Eat a lot of leafy green vegetables like spinach, anything in the onion family, broccoli.. . You name it. And only drink water, juices usually have a lot of added sugars.

Try it for a couple months to see if your condition improves.

Another suggestion is get a lot of sun. Don't have to go tanning, just be outside and let the sun hit your face.

I'm a strong believer in you are what you eat. This may not cure your acne, but it will not make it worse and I would be very surprised to find out if this didn't help. All in all it's worth a shot and you won't have to go to the doctor or waste money on products that may never work.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 03:11 PM

I can't use dial - I can't use anything but Ivory (and I realize it's rather harsh). I am light complected so I'm amazed that Ivory doesn't give me a rash, but it does not.

Aug 26, 2010, 03:13 PM

I do keep my hands in my face a lot, JudyKayTee. But it's usually because I'm trying to scratch, squeeze, pop, or bust bumps in my face. I do lean my face on my hands a lot as well. I will try to keep my hands out of my face the best I can.

Like I told KISS, I rarely ever eat chocolate. Often around my period and rarely even then.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 03:21 PM

I'm not a chocolate fan, either. And keeping your hands away is easier than it sounds, I agree.

Could makeup be causing a problem? Do you use a lot of makeup?

My Doctor told me to replace ANYTHING I put on my face every 3 months - expensive but it works.

Aug 26, 2010, 03:28 PM

I haven't always used dial. I used to use this acne scrub I purchased at Walgreens. I can not remember the name of it but it was for the entire body and it helped with my break outs on my chest, shoulders, and back.

I googled it... It was called pHisoderm... something about pH balance... anyway, it worked for the time that I had it. But once I ran out I no longer used it.

Aug 26, 2010, 03:30 PM

Could makeup be causing a problem? Do you use a lot of makeup?
    I only use eye make up (eye shadows, eye liners, mascara). Around my eyes is the smallest problem area. I see very little to no acne around my eyes.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 04:14 PM

OK. My suggestions.

Loose the dial soap. Use only Cuticura anti-bacterial soap.

Get some wash-n-dry anti bacterial wipes. Use these at work.

If you need help finding the products, yell.

For now, loose the clearsil and clean and clear.

I can strip way more oil than that's capable of, but rather not.

Work on the stress. I have suggestions for that too.

Give it a few weeks and report back.

I'll also agree with Judy. Use Ivory, but not on areas that break out. Use only Cutecura for those areas.

Aug 26, 2010, 05:20 PM

Okay so, cut the clean&clear and clearisil.. Should I use the pHisoderm?. And I'm allergic to most soaps. So I have to be careful about what I use.

Aug 26, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS View Post
    OK. My suggestions.

Loose the dial soap. Use only Cuticura anti-bacterial soap.

Get some wash-n-dry anti bacterial wipes. Use these at work.
    What are wash-n-dry bacterial wipes? And what is Cuticura anti-bacterial soap?
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 05:45 PM

Thought so:

I have to special order Cutecura from Rite-Aide:

Cuticura Shopping Cart - Cuticura Soap

Amazon carries it too.

Use these: http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/prod...lettes2-04.pdf

Here is a source: Clorox 22236: Wash’n Dri ® Towelettes | OfficeWorld.com

I used to get them at a local drugstore. Haven't had to try lately. Amazon says out of stock and someone else said unavailable from manufacturer.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 08:32 PM

I forgot something important. Wash your face with warm water and the soap. Rinse the soap with warm water. The last rinse should use cold/cool water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using acne home remedy and a store acne product at the same time. [ 6 Answers ]

Ok,Is it bad to use fresh garlic to try to cure acne while using an over the counter top product called clearsil ultra daily face wash?:rolleyes:

Nothing works for my acne [ 9 Answers ]

Help me! I am going into 7th grade soon and all of the sudden I started to break out! I don't know why. Can anyone help? Nothing is workng:(

Acne. How to get rid of it. What works [ 8 Answers ]

I don't have a lot of it. But I have some on my forehead. It bugs me and I don't know what to do to get rid of it. I want to know what works or how do I get rid of them.

Amazing not even a chemotherapy works on acne (flourouracil) [ 1 Answers ]

I was prescribed Carac (flourourcil) .05% for 2 weeks. Yes I understand Carac is not prescribed for acne, However during it's use acne did not have a chance. I purposely ate and drank everything I thought to aggrevate my skin conditions including Sebero.. Dermatitis, Actinic Keratosis, and of...

Roche - Roaccutane, It's the last resort for acne!I swear it really works [ 1 Answers ]

hi guys, I had those big pimples all over my face before as in OH-NO! As in I could'nt go out anymore because of the shame I experienced back then... I needed to have a good reputation for others, I had to prove them that I am beautiful and confident because I was crowned in this beauty...

View more questions Search