Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovemyboys10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 03:52 PM
    The father of my son passed away and my new husband wants to adopt my son?
    My son's father passed way almost two years ago. I just remarried and my new husband wants to adopt my son. My new husband has been taking care of my son like his own for a year now and my son just adores him and all ready calls him "Dad". We live in Illinois and just wanted to know where we should start? Do we have to have an attorney to start the proceedings?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 04:08 PM

An attorney would be a good idea. Is your son's father's family still involved in his life? They may want some reassurances that the adoption won't cut them out completely, if so.

How does your son feel about it?

It should be a fairly easy process, but I'd never tell anyone to do an adoption without a lawyer just to make sure there's no way for it to be overturned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my husband adopt my son and his father still have visitation [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my son. My son's father is in the picture but does not pay child support for the child as he is ordered by the court. The biological father got married when I was 2 months pregnant and was not there to sign the birth certificate. Legally, can my husband adopt our son?

Husband wants to adopt wife's son. Father is not on birth [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is married to a man that would like to adopt her son. The real father is not on the birth certificate and says that he is not the father of this child and never has had a contact with her son. What can be done to get this adoption on the way?

Don't know father of son, can my husband still adopt? [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé wants to adopt my son. I don't know who my sons biological father is. Do I need to fallow the same legalities as if I knew who the father was or can my fiancé adopt him with no problems? Where do I go from here?

Can my husband adopt my son if the father is not on the birth certificate? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my five year old son. Does the father have to agree if he's not on the birth certificate and hasn't supported his son after the break up? He only saw his son twice in a year and seven days.

View more questions Search