Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuck5104 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Sod over ground out tree stump?
    I had a very large white poplar cut down and the stump ground out. The stump was ground about 4 inches below level and some of the roots are almost to the surface. The backyard that this tree is in is almost all bare soil and weeds. I have been spraying weedkiller and plan on tilling and grading to prepare for sod. Is the area where the roots and rest of the stump are located going to cause problems as they decompose? If so what can be done to fix or prevent these problems? Thanks, Chuck
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 12:31 AM
    Hi, chuck5104!

What did you use for weedkiller, please? Also, do you mean that some of the stump remains in the ground?

The roots will eventually decompose and leave small indentation in the soil. The areas where they decompose might also be a place where bees can live. If you can remove the largest portions of the roots, that would be a good thing. Tilling will probably take care of the smaller portions of the root system.

Thanks!
    chuck5104 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2010, 01:11 AM
    I used the concentrate: Bayer Advanced All-In-One Lawn Weed & Crabgrass Killer Sizes & Product Labels
    Yeah there is some stump left in the ground. Stump grinding just grinds it to a certain point below ground level, always leaving something behind. Will bees really plow through sod to find a home in decaying roots? I was more looking for a product to replace the nitrogen stolen by the decaying stump and root system so my newly laid sod wouldn't die off in those areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, chuck5104!

What did you use for weedkiller, please? Also, do you mean that some of the stump remains in the ground?

The roots will eventually decompose and leave small indentation in the soil. The areas where they decompose might also be a place where bees can live. If you can remove the largest portions of the roots, that would be a good thing. Tilling will probably take care of the smaller portions of the root system.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holy Tree Stump [ 23 Answers ]

It appears the faithful have found a new idol/icon in the form of a newly cut tree stump in Ireland. Workers clearing trees in a school yard were apparently more delecate than usual in cutting a tree and hey presto what should emerge than a somewhat fanciful image of Mary. The locals immediately...

New sod, tree dying [ 6 Answers ]

I planted new sod, now my tree is dying, can anyone help me:confused:

How do I kill the stump of a palm tree [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I am looking for help! I got a Palm Tree cut down a few days ago, I am now left with the stump in the ground, what do I do to poison the stump. Kilronan.

Tree Stump Removal [ 6 Answers ]

I have a large (2 1/2 foot radius) maple tree stump that is about 1 foot above the ground which I want to remove. I had one removal company come in and quote a $750 price to grind it - which I thought was rather high so I would like to explore other ways of removing the stump at a much lower cost....

View more questions Search