Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NJP88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Gold crown then root canal
    My dentist did a gold crown on a molar because the existing crown was damaged. I was having sinus and jaw pain at the time. The pain didn't go away with antibiotics( on the side of the crowned tooth. ) My primary Dr had me do a cat scan etc, but that was clear. He told me to go back to my Dentist to check for TMJ disorder. I went back to my dentist and it turned out I needed a root canal right away. So he drilled a big whole in that brand new gold crown and did the root canal.
    QUESTION:
    Shouldn't he have done something to check for the need for a root canal BEFORE putting the gold crown on?? Not to mention the cost of the cat scan and time off from work to do it.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 18, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Yep! Dentists are funny that way sometimes. One thing to keep well in mind when going to the dentist's office is that they are human beings and carry all the emotional baggage that all human beings do. Higher education, unfortunately, doesn't provide 100% imunity against inferiority complexes, bigotry, bad moods, or even sadism.

Here are some things not to do at the Dentist's office in order to minimize risk of ticking him or her off:

1. If a foreigner don't ask where he or she is from. Treat them as if you don't notice.
    Nobody likes to be reminded that they stand out that way.

2. Don't speak loudly in the waiting room-sound carries and it might break his concentration-or simply provoke an involuntary territorial protection tendency.

3. Don't become overly familiar. They might see it as an insult based on your lower opinion of them within the doctoral hierarchy. If the dentist is female, she might take it as a come on or as male chauvinism and get her point across with the drill.

4. Treat assistants with kid gloves. Otherwise the assistant might imagine an insult, begin to pout, and the dentist, who might also be her good friend, might pass judgment -- get angry and insult you while you are under the drill as happened to me.

5. If you feel the least bit uncomfortable immediately go to another dentist. Otherwise you are playing Russian Roulette.

BTW
    I think you have a good case for a malpractice lawsuite

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root Canal Problem [ 8 Answers ]

After five years of 3 different re-constructions on a cracked/ decayed big back tooth, the nerve started to die (v.painful) and has been removed. I now have a temp filling and am awaiting full root canal treatment in a few (6) weeks. When I had temp filling it gave me a disgusting rotting food...

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

Root canal after permanent crown [ 4 Answers ]

Just found out that I need a root canal after my permanent crown has been put in. My bottom left far back molar had cracked requiring a crown. The tooth which had a filling in it looked good with no decay when the dentist prepared the tooth for the crown. After two weeks with the new crown, pain...

Post root canal [ 1 Answers ]

I had a root canal done yesterday morning on the last molar, upper left side (not wisdom tooth). On the 4th root, the dentist popped through the tooth (I could feel it and the drill temporarily got stuck). I am still having the same amount of pain and throbbing in the area, which I was told could...

Crown lengthening and root canal [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I had a root canal done on my first upper back molar and it was sore for a few days after it was done and even after that it was never completely normal. It felt a little like its root tips inside the bone were a bit strange - not achey or pain- just a little weird. Two months later, I have...

View more questions Search