Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tulane87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 09:47 PM
    Smell from bathroom sink drain and air flow while central forced heat is on
    In the 1st floor slab bathroom, hissing air comes out of the sink drain whenever the central heat comes on. In addition, the air that comes out, of course smelly like sewage.

Now, I know I can do the bleach procedure, but what I don't get is why the air is flowing. There is a p trap in place, and the sink is used regularly, so it is not dry.

How do I stop this?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tulane87
    In the 1st floor slab bathroom, hissing air comes out of the sink drain whenever the central heat comes on. In addition, the air that comes out, of course smelly like sewage.

Now, I know I can do the bleach procedure, but what I don't get is why the air is flowing. There is a p trap in place, and the sink is used regularly, so it is not dry.

How do I stop this?
    Something's terribly wrong here. The air handler or furnace fan appears to be pumping air into your drainage system. Shut the stopper on the lavatory and seal off the overflow with duct tape and get someone in to check it. Sewer gas is entering your home and that's a health hazard to you and your family. Block off those outlets and get help.
    I would call in a heating man first as it seems to be more of a heating problem then a plumbing one. In all of my, over 50, years of a plumber this is the first complaint that I've ever had of this nature. Please keep me in the loop on this. I want to know what's going on with the repair and what you find out. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Air Coil Drain [ 3 Answers ]

I recently installed a new central air/furnace system in my home. The furnace and A-coil are both Lennox, with a Haier condenser unit outside. The problem I'm having is with the drain tube on the A-coil drain. When I first started the system, it drained quite a bit of condensed water during the...

Gas forced air heater won't turn heat on [ 6 Answers ]

My honeywell thermostat electric, shows "filter" change light blinking and won't turn on the heater when turned up. The thermostat will 'click' when temp turned up and I can manually turn on the fan but no fire in the heater. The thermostat is 1 year old, filter changed

Bathroom Sink Smell... [ 2 Answers ]

Someone threw up in my bathroom sink (why there when the toilet is only two feet away I do not know). The sink was plunged, and eventually drained. For good measure, I put a few doses of Liquid Plumr down the drain. Now there is a foul odor coming from the sink drain. Please help!

Installing Central Heat & Air [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old, two story ranch house, with NO insulation. Currently all that warms the house is one wall heater and one (seperate) A/C. I want to install a central heat and air unit. My question is: Do I need to install the central Heat and Air PRIOR to putting in insulation? Or can...

Central heat and air [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on installing central heat and air in my home. My question is.. Where does the return need to be? And what size should the ducts be from the plenum to the rest of the house?

View more questions Search