Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starklan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 03:35 PM
    Basement Plumbing
    I am wanting to finish off a bathroom in my basement. When I bought the house the builder told me that the spot had already been set up for a bathroom, and indeed there is a pipe sticking out of the concrete where the toilet will go and a 14"x14" cut in the concrete that gives access to another pipe where the bathtub will go.

My question is, are these pipes usually vented and trapped? Is there a way I can go about verifying that they are or are not vented and trapped correctly?

Thank you in advance for your help!
    dlochart Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starklan
    I am wanting to finish off a bathroom in my basement. When I bought the house the builder told me that the spot had allready been set up for a bathroom, and indeed there is a pipe sticking out of the concrete where the toilet will go and a 14"x14" cut in the concrete that gives access to another pipe where the bathtub will go.

My question is, are these pipes usually vented and trapped? Is there a way I can go about verifying that they are or are not vented and trapped correctly?

I had similar questions a few months back. What helped expediate the answers was to post a picture of all relevant aspects of your bathroom area. Luckily my roughins and vents were already down
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2006, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starklan
    I am wanting to finish off a bathroom in my basement. When I bought the house the builder told me that the spot had allready been set up for a bathroom, and indeed there is a pipe sticking out of the concrete where the toilet will go and a 14"x14" cut in the concrete that gives access to another pipe where the bathtub will go.

If the pipe in the tub dap-out's sticking up then it's trapped. If it's horizontal in the hole it's not. As a rule the plumber does not run a vent from the basement out the roof since he isn't installing a basement bath but just leaving you a rough.
    Most bathroom groups are roughed in like this.
    Toilet connects to sewer main. The toilet wet vents through the lavatory vent. Lavatory connects to toilet drain and runs a vent out the roof or revents back into a dry vent in the attic off the top the stubout tee. The tub/shower connects to the lavatory drain and is wet vented by it. This is a normal rough in and is acceptable both by local and state codes,( unless local codes call for individual vents) but also The Standard Plumbing Code Book. Best of luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Plumbing [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, Im starting to finish my basement and have a few questions on the stubbed in plumbing. It is stubbed for a full bath and drains into an ejector pump. I marked on the photos below what I thought each pipe is for, but there is one unknown 2" pipe next to the toilet. Also, on the other...

Basement plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1950. The finished basement has a room that had a kitchen sink in it. At the (insistent) request of my wife, I removed the kitchen sink so we could move our washer/dryer in there. The drain for the kitchen sink is located on the basement floor. The drain is a cast iron...

Basement plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a basement I want to finish were the plumbing is roughed in. They have 4 drain pipes in a row. One is 3 inches, two are two inches and one is one and a half inch. I figure one is for a shower , one is for a sink one is for the toilet, but what is the one and a half inch pipe for?

Basement plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a shower, toilette and hand basin in the basement. I don't have a roughed in basement so I need an answer to a drain question. I have a sump pump in one corner and an ejector pump in the other corner close to the furnase. At the furnase there's a drainpipe connected to the drain...

Basement Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I'm presently trying to finish a bathroom in a basement that was started by a previous home owner, and want to move the shower location. The drainage is roughed into the concrete slab. There is a 4" (toilet drain), and two 2" drains (sink and shower). I want to move the shower location to where...

View more questions Search