Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2010, 06:23 PM
    Senior dog and surgery
    I have an old girl.. She's 12. She's looney lol

She's not fixed. She was a show dog. Never fixed her after she retired... now there is a HUGE mammory tumor on her boob in the back.

Its always been there after every heat cycle for the past 2 years. It never grew. Its still squishy. Not a huge concern.

Now its HUGE, its hard... it looks ugly..

I'm going to get it looked at and tested for cancer. Her mama died 5 years ago to cancer, so it is a concern. However, this dog does not act sick in anyway. Her mama acted sick for a very long time until the vets did diagnose her with cancer of the bladder.

My question... would any of you opt to have it removed if the tumor is not cancerous? She's 12 years old. The last time she was put under for surgery on her mouth, she did not do good for days after. Very skiddish, unaware... Not something I want to put her through a lot.

She comes into heat for 2 or 3 days.. and then we get this tumor for 2 months. She doesn't appear to be in pain. Her personality never changes (like if she were in pain).

I heard, but haven't confirmed, that there is a shot to help dogs not come into heat. I would like that to be my alternative if she doesn't need surgery so that the tumor stays away... It really only does show up after her heat cycle. It's big now, but hasn't grown any.

Just thoughts and opinions... Remember, she's 12!

Here's a pic of her!
    Attached Images

Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 10, 2010, 06:40 PM

Ahh she's a doll. If it wasn't cancerous, I would not under go the surgery. Max had this weird growth on his ear, he is 10, it wasn't cancerous, but it just fell off one day. I know your girls tumor won't fall off, but it's not worth the pain to her.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 10, 2010, 09:13 PM

At 12 years old I would be reluctant to do the surgery, it's not cancerous, it's not causing her any pain or discomfort, its just a little unsightly.

I personally haven't heard of the shot (it might just not be available here) We only have the male implant that makes them 'blind' to b*tches in season (which hasn't worked for my mums idiot dog)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 10, 2010, 09:44 PM

She is so pretty.

I'm with Bella and Shaz. If it's not cancerous I'd leave it, as long as it's not bothering her.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 11, 2010, 03:05 AM

Motion carried, don't subject her to anesthesia. It seems that's worse than the mastitis. We had a dobe that got mastitis after each heat. It never seemed to bother her. Strangely enough, when she was bred it didn't develop. Go figure.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2010, 05:11 AM

Mammary tumours are very hard to diagnose with plain cytology, unless they are removed and sent to a histologist.
    We do surgery on 12 year old dogs at least twice a week. With the proper protocols, it's quite safe (but there always is a risk). Heck we did a dentistry on a 21 year old Cockapoo last week.

If you do decide to get it taken off, get chest x-rays first. If it is cancer, then it may have spread to the lungs and there is no point in doing surgery if it's gotten there.

Also, with mammary tumours, besides being hard to diagnose and often cancers going un noticed, benign lumps around there, if left, have been known to become malignant.
    Even if they aren't cancerous, due to the area they are prone to ulcerating and hindering a dogs ability to lay down. It will grow, and it will only get bigger. It'd be best to take it off now, even if it's not cancerous, then to risk taking it off in 2 years when her anesthesia risk will be even higher.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why did my senior dog defecate in the house? [ 3 Answers ]

My 10-year-old 75-pound husky/collie mix defecated in the house this morning for the first time ever. He didn't even seem to be aware that it had happened. He's also passing enormous amounts of noisy (and smelly) gas. He's basically an inside dog, but has access to the yard through his dog door....

Senior Dog with Kidney Failure [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone had a pet with renal disease (i.e. kidney disease)? My dog was diagnosed yet. Any tips/advice would be appreciated. She is going to have another fluid treatment tomorrow.

My senior dog won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is 12 years old, a shepherd mix, medium size female. She stopped eating a few days ago and nothing I try to feed her tempts her, even her favorite foods. She also seems quite listless lately. Other than that, I haven't noticed any problems. Please help!

Senior dog peeing in her sleep. [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 14 year old Aussie mix, who a couple months ago peed in her sleep, we thought nothing of it because we had been up pretty late and forgot to let her out. Then a month had past and she peed in her sleep again. She feels completely horrible about it when she wakes up and realizes what she...

View more questions Search