Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamseefried Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 09:56 AM
    How do I add a second floor to our house with a full basement?
    I am wanting to add a second floor on my house, for my expanding family of 7 and going to be 8. Our house now has a full basement with one bedroom and one bathroom. The main level has 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms. We want to make the kitchen and living room bigger also. Wandering what are we going to have to do and what does it intell before we even think about it?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 10:02 AM

First, you have to find out if the foundation walls will support a second floor.

Someone in construction will eventually see your question and give you good advice and suggestions.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 04:51 PM
    Where are you, what city?or in the rural areas?

Prices for materials can be reduced depending on where you live(some areas have enterprise zones making home improvements tax free)

You will need to make solid plans,on paper to better show how and what you want to do.

Expanding a couple of rooms requires a change of footer,making a second floor on top of those changed rooms requires a stronger footer and heavier walls on the first floors(2x6's instead of 2x4's)

You can count on materials to run in the ballpark of $40-45 per square foot,labor extra.

Get back to us with a drawing or pictures of what you have and what you want, we can assist quite a lot in here.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2010, 05:14 PM

I would talk to an architect who can determine what your house can take and draw up plans with cost estimates.
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I would talk to an architect who can determine what your house can take and draw up plans with cost estimates.
    Yeah, that too:)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Yeah,,that too:)
    Would a general contractor's advice be just as good as an architect's, or would an architect bring something more to the discussion?
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 07:33 PM
    The architect would go by the state codes for the quote,a general contractor might not follow those routes,As a general contractor,I know certain codes,but because of hands on experience,I can adjust my quote by not doing things that an architect would deem necessary.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Apr 25, 2010, 02:57 AM

A design professional (architect or engineer) would almost be mandatory for this project.

First to determine the structural ability of your existing home to carry the additional loads imposed by a second story.

Second, for the design aspect.

The design professional will not only need to assess your footings, foundation, soil conditions and beams to determine if they can handle new loads he will also be required to design the second story so that things like stairways and locations of bathrooms (for plumbing) can be practically located.

Your code office will need these structural evaluations and designs in order to issue a permit... something a general contractor cannot normally provide.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 03:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattan42 View Post
    A design professional (architect or engineer) would almost be mandatory for this project.

First to determine the structural ability of your existing home to carry the additional loads imposed by a second story.

Second, for the design aspect.

Your code office will need these designs in order to issue a permit...something a general contractor cannot do.
    Only in the cities, I have actually drawn plans and they passed in Cincinnati, some of us are capable of this stuff,, especially with computer software.
    carpenter-t Posts: 88, Reputation: 19

Apr 25, 2010, 03:10 AM

A general contractor should be able to know what has to be done and how to do it and how much.an architect should be able to do the same.but most towns will want to see some sort of plans before giving you a permit. Then again where you live may make the differents you may not be zoned for a second floor or you may live in a town with no zoning laws and may not need a permit at all.a good architect will draw you up plan for framing,electrical,etc.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 07:20 AM

Start with a call or visit to the city or county Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). Ask what permits are required and what has to be provided to obtain those permits. Get information about permit fees. Things vary too much from place to place for anyone else to provide specific information. Find out who is responsible for obtaining permits and inspections, owner or contractor. Some places require only a minimum of plans and drawings, some require very detail drawings. Find out who can draw plans. In Virginia, the plans for a structure 3 stories or less must only be signed by the person drawing the plans. Local county doesn't like that. They want plans signed by architect but state law over rules. They won't tell you that unless you ask. Plans must meet their requirements regardless of who draws them. Find out specifically must be included.
    A general contractor can probably give you an estimated cost per square for what you want to do.

There are many pitfalls in an endeavor such as this. Most can be avoided. Certainly you will do this with a written contract.
    As a minimum that contract should include two things. A failure to perform clause. That clause should specify a completion date and a penalty per day if not completed. It is quite likely that a general contractor will offer a prepared contract. If it does not include such a clause, amend it and insist on its inclusion. The time to negotiate is before signing, not after.
    The contract should also specify that the general contractor will provide proof that all sub contractors have been paid before final payment is made. In many, if not most, jurisdictions a sub contractor can place a lien against your property if not paid, even though you paid the general contractor. In other words not all contractors are ethical. Most are, but protect yourself.

If the work includes things like lighting fixtures, plumbing fixtures or cabinets, these should be specified in either the plans or the contract. If not identified specifically, a cost allowance should be included and you chose them.

Contract should specify when payments (draws) are made and how much. Contractor may want money up front. Personally I wouldn't pay any up front money until material is brought on the property. Once material is brought on the property it belongs to you. The contractor cannot legally remove it. If the contractor does not have the working capital to fund the purchase of material until he gets it to your property, move own to another contractor.
    If you think that insisting on things like these being in the contract sounds like you don't trust the contractor, it does. And you shouldn't. In all probability you don't know this person, why should you trust him? The more that is included in the contract, the less likely that you will have a misunderstanding or disagreement later. Remember "If it ain't written down, it doesn't exist."

If you are worried that you will "hurt his feelings" by putting things in the contract, don't. He is a businessman, he protects himself with the contract and he should expect you to do the same.

If you are afraid that he might not agree to the things you want in the contract, don't. Remember the Golden Rule, "He who has the gold makes the rules.

Good luck.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 06:32 PM

I agree with Harold, as to get everything in writing.

If u are on a septic system, the health dept will have to approve of structure also. U will probably have to increase the system to cover new rooms.

Definitely get an architect to make drawings and specs for job. He will know the structural needs. The specs will tell the contractor what is required for job.

There is also a possibility that there is a maximum height requirement. The architect would/should know these requirements.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is insulation needed between main floor of house and basement ceiling? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Still renovating that old house we bought. The basement is partially finished - there was a drywall ceiling - part of it has been taken down due to a previous water leak. There was insulation (non faced) between the ceiling and upper floor. Before we replace the drywall - do we need to...

Add a basement floor drain [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking at adding a floor drain into my basement, because I worry about water getting into the house, the house was built in 1949? A few questions about adding a floor drain, 1) I was going to add a Y in the main drain and connect to a P trap with a drain at the top in the center of the...

I need to add first floor stack tyin. [ 10 Answers ]

I am thinking of adding a first floor bath in my 1921 house. It would be located between the second floor main bath and the basement half bath so all plumbing is right in line and accessible. It has a 4" cast iron wet stack and my only worry is how do I correctly cut into it to add a toilet and...

Add 30 amp to full pannal [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 200 amp panel.with a sub panal for pool and light.the main is almost full with 2 slots left open. Can I safely add a 30amp breaker to the main? My max usage is 33025 kilowatts in the highest month

Add Basement Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I am trying to sell my house, but it is uncompetitive with some of the other houses around me because it only has one bathroom. As such, I was thinking of adding either a full bathroom or half bathroom in my basement, depending on the amount of work involved. Since, I am trying to sell...

View more questions Search