Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paymiss Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 05:47 PM
    What does it mean when your dog has maggots in their ear
    Ok so my dog has maggots in her wound and they all go up to her ear I'm only 11 and my dad is so lazy and won't do anything about it we don't have money and I tried going around my block to ask people to donate and I got $20 so as I was saying they go up her ear and she has yellow stuff that looks like fungus on the wound they wound is huge because she got bit by my other pit bull and she's been here since I was born I want to cry and puke there are flys all over her she is an outside dog very very weak and I don't have $200 to go to the vet... I even went outside and took a pen and a paper cloth to clean her I gave her some water cleaned off the blood and took then stuck it into her ear to try to pick the maggots out but it looked like they formed another layer they are very small it's like a nursery of maggots in her ear and on her big wound I'm scared my dad might put her down but it looks like he doesn't want to I'm crying right now necause she is in pain please help me I'm begging you I try so much to help her please...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 06:38 PM

I wish I has a medical solution for your friend, Try talking to the Vet and see if you can work or help around, in exchange for his help.
    Others may say "report your dad or something", I'm not going there, you want him better.
    Some smart people here, likely provide a good solution, I hope. Solution with no Vet would be nice.
    Good Luck, will let you know if I find something out.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 06:39 PM

I realize that you are 11 but the truth is the truth - your dog is in pain and suffering. She is being eaten alive by maggots.

Unless you can afford medical treatment you must give her to someone who can. Call your local ASPCA or a rescue group. NOW!

Sticking ANYTHING into her ear is a BIG mistake. A pen?

This is one of those posts where I'm not certain you are 11 and not certain you aren't just looking for a reaction. One way or the other, DO SOMETHING!
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 06:47 PM

Please please please get your dog help somehow, ask anyone. If there's any way you can get help from other family members then please do it because your poor dog is suffering and she needs you.

Look here maybe.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/dise..._flystrike.htm
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 07:48 PM

Click on this link, looks like some good areas to research until you find the treatment:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=treat...x=&startPage=1

Mar 27, 2010, 11:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paymiss View Post
    Ok so my dog has maggots in her wound and they all go up to her ear i'm only 11 and my dad is so lazy and won't do anything about it we don't have money and I tried going around my block to ask people to donate and i got $20 so as I was saying they go up her ear and she has yellow stuff that looks like fungus on the wound they wound is huge because she got bit by my other pit bull and shes been here since i was born i want to cry and puke there are flys all over her she is an outside dog very very weak and I dont have $200 to go to the vet.... I even went outside and took a pen and a paper cloth to clean her i gave her some water cleaned off the blood and took then stuck it into her ear to try to pick the maggots out but it looked like they formed another layer they are very small it's like a nursery of maggots in her ear and on her big wound i'm scared my dad might put her down but it looks like he doesn't want to i'm crying right now necause she is in pain please help me i'm begging you i try so much to help her please...
    Ok sorry he's not lazy but we don't really live in a place where you can find vets {location removed} I believe and she looks better I cleaned her some more but my mom says not to mess with her because she's deaf and blind and ion pain so she might snap and bite me even though she knew me before I was born and I have 1 more day until my dad puts her down and I really don't want to see her go this way
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 06:23 AM

If some miracle doesn't happen by Tomorrow, and has to be Put down, Tell your dog you love her, and Goodbye, she knows you loved her and cared, she won't be in any more pain. I wish you the best, take care.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 07:16 AM

It is better to have her humanely put down than to have her die a slow and painful death.

I agree - you hold her, tell her you love her, say good-bye.

That's the problem with owning and loving dogs - they don't live long enough.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Others may say "report your dad or something", I'm not going there, you want him better.
    I won't go there, either, but I am tempted. Do try to explain to your Dad how much losing this pup hurts and ask him not to get another one. You have the one that bit her; work on gentling that one.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I do think your dad should not be a dog owner.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 08:52 AM

Contrary to what everyone believes, maggots are not necessarily a bad thing. They're used in the medical field a lot. They eat away the dying tissue.

However, maggots in the ear for a period is not a good thing either.

You need to keep her wound and exposed. Maggots cannot live in the sunlight. They're like vampires.. They'll die when the sun hits them. Also, flush her wound with an antiseptic.. usually peroxide is gentle and doesn't sting. You also want to get a cream that is OK for dogs. Neosporin triple antibiotic is safe for dogs and is strong enough to help kill the infection.

There are people out there that will help you. Especially if you're a kid trying to do the right thing. Contact your vet. Contact other vets. Contact the local shelter. Put a donation jar at a gas station/grocery store or even at your vets office. Someone will help you.

If you feel like your dog shouldn't go yet, and your parents are determined to spend the money to kill the dog rather then spend the money to save the dogs ear... then maybe you should surrender the dog to the shelter. If she's old... and it is her time, then you do need to let her go. However, I fail to believe that is the case. But I could be wrong.

Good luck
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Contrary to what everyone believes, maggots are not necessarily a bad thing. They're used in the medical field a lot. They eat away the dying tissue.

However, maggots in the ear for a period of time is not a good thing either.

You need to keep her wound and exposed. Maggots cannot live in the sunlight. They're like vampires.. They'll die when the sun hits them. Also, flush her wound with an antiseptic.. usually peroxide is gentle and doesnt sting. You also want to get a cream that is ok for dogs. Neosporin triple antibiotic is safe for dogs and is stong enough to help kill the infection.

There are people out there that will help you. Especially if you're a kid trying to do the right thing. Contact your vet. Contact other vets. Contact the local shelter. Put a donation jar at a gas station/grocery store or even at your vets office. Someone will help you.

If you feel like your dog shouldnt go yet, and your parents are determined to spend the money to kill the dog rather then spend the money to save the dogs ear... then maybe you should surrender the dog to the shelter. If she's old... and it is her time, then you do need to let her go. However, I fail to believe that is the case. But I could be wrong.

Good luck

Maggots used in wound control are disinfected first and removed when their "work" is done. They are not allowed to live in the wound forever. I find this an entirely different situation.

I believe this dog is suffering and time is at a premium. OP is also 11 years old - if her parents don't want the dog to get medical treatment even if she gets the money together, who is going to take her to the Vet?

This animal needs help now.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 09:23 AM

She's weak, has a major wound, and a serious infection. I am less concerned about the maggots than I am blood poisoning from an untreated infection. This sounds like it has gone on too long for peroxide and over-the-counter creams and ointments.

The animal needs to be taken to the vet. No sugar coating or rosy colored glasses. The animal is outside, in pain and not being taken care of properly. If your father won't do anything, why isn't your mother?

I will add that I am impressed by your attempts to help her. You have done everything you can. It is time for the adults to do their job.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 01:35 PM

Anything look familiar on this link?
    Human Botfly, Bot Fly, Botflies, Torsalo, Dermatobia hominis

Mar 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
    Ok so my dog has maggots in her wound and they all go up to her ear i'm only 11 and my dad is so lazy and won't do anything about it we don't have money and I tried going around my block to ask people to donate and i got $20 so as I was saying they go up her ear and she has yellow stuff that looks like fungus on the wound they wound is huge because she got bit by my other pit bull and shes been here since i was born i want to cry and puke there are flys all over her she is an outside dog very very weak and I dont have $200 to go to the vet.... I even went outside and took a pen and a paper cloth to clean her i gave her some water cleaned off the blood and took then stuck it into her ear to try to pick the maggots out but it looked like they formed another layer they are very small it's like a nursery of maggots in her ear and on her big wound i'm scared my dad might put her down but it looks like he doesn't want to i'm crying right now necause she is in pain please help me i'm begging you i try so much to help her please...
    Ok everybody stop posting please please stop because she is much much better now

Mar 28, 2010, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    She's weak, has a major wound, and a serious infection. I am less concerned about the maggots than I am blood poisoning from an untreated infection. This sounds like it has gone on too long for peroxide and over-the-counter creams and ointments.

The animal needs to be taken to the vet. No sugar coating or rosy colored glasses. The animal is outside, in pain and not being taken care of properly. If your father won't do anything, why isn't your mother?

I will add that I am impressed by your attempts to help her. You have done everything you can. It is time for the adults to do their job.
    Uhhh my gramdma came over and helped a lot we took her to the vet and she is better don't report my father he is not making a lot of money that's why but Monday March 29,2010 we ARE PUTTING HER DOWN
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 02:02 PM
    uhhh my gramdma came over and helped alot we took her to the vet and she is better dont report my father he is not making a lot of money thats why but Monday March 29,2010 we ARE PUTTING HER DOWN
    I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a pet, especially the one that raised you. You love them so much and they only live a short time. I wish you well with your next pup.

Mar 28, 2010, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a pet, especially the one that raised you. You love them so much and they only live a short time. I wish you well with your next pup.
    He got another one just encase she was going to die but this dog caused so much and I loved thanks for the support;)
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 02:15 PM

I am confused - she is doing better but being put down?

Do you really think - in light of this being an outside dog and Vet care being a problem - that another dog is a good idea?

Moderators close posts - use the "report" link and ask that this be closed.
    Marriage Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 02:19 PM
    uhhh my gramdma came over and helped alot we took her to the vet and she is better dont report my father he is not making a lot of money thats why but Monday March 29,2010 we ARE PUTTING HER DOWN
    paymiss, I am sorry that you are losing her. I know you are upset and hurting, but keep in mind that she will be better off.

Love her and remember her as she was. Try not to let her death overshadow her life.
    Marriage Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I am confused - she is doing better but being put down?

Do you really think - in light of this being an outside dog and Vet care being a problem - that another dog is a good idea?

Moderators close posts - use the "report" link and ask that this be closed.
    Judy, I think the dog that bit her is the 'replacement' animal. I have a feeling that along with being deaf and blind, the injury may only be part of her problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bothersome ear in dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini dachand that scratches his left ear. It became worse after I put drops in for mites. I then put alcohol/vinegar in with the tip of my finger on a cloth and got out a lot of black stuff but he continues to be bothered in the left ear. What do you suggest? Thanks

Dog has hematoma on ear [ 2 Answers ]

My Dog Has A Hematoma On His Ear It Is Not Bleeding Or Anything Should I Just Leave It Go...

Dog ear wax color [ 4 Answers ]

My lab has just gotten over an ear infection ( been over two weeks). I cleaned his ears with a Q tip just as labman mentioned in a previous post and noticed the wax color was reddish-brown Is this normal color or due to the infection? He had a lot of build up and I don't know if I got it all...

Dog ear hematoma [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We recently took our golden retriever, Sadie, to the vet with an ear hematoma. $400.00 later, we took her home with a drain in her ear and lots prescriptions. They removed the drain three weeks later, but of course with the ear hadn't healed where the drain had been and the ear filled up with...

Dog ear infection [ 3 Answers ]

My dog has had this before but it was more severe. It is not as bad as before. She tends to fight me when I try to clean her ear, weather it is infected or not. I was wondering if there is any oral meds I can give her bought over the counter. The vet also mentioned it may be due to allergies, and...

View more questions Search