Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mandyjo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 10:53 PM
    How hard would it be for my husband to adopt my son & how much?
    My ex husband signed all his right away when he was 1 & my current husband has been his father since then .My son is 15 & he does have his last name but need to get hubby on birth certificate & he wants to adopt him how hard will it be and how much would it cost/
    mandyjo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 09:54 PM
    My husaband wants to adopt my son...
    My son is 15 & his biologic father signed all his right away when he was 1 & my current husband has been his father for 14 years. My son does have his last name & it is on birth certificate but the father who signed his rights away is still on his birth certificate. How hard will it be for my husband to adopt him? How much will it cost? We live in Texas
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Mar 24, 2010, 11:29 PM

Stepparent adoption in Texas can be done Pro Se.
    The parent giving up rights does not need to be notified by the court because within the Voluntary Relinquishment document the parent will waive their right for further notification.

Since this petition is for an uncontested adoption/termination you do not need to request an ad litem (with any case if a judge feels your child needs one, they will order it).

When you take all of your papers to the court house they will assign you a case number, you can hand write the number in the NO.________ given on your documents or the clerk can stamp each document with the same case #.

Make copies or pay for certified copies when you file.

So you have your check list of paperwork:
    1)notarized Original Petition for adoption
    2)notarized Section 152.209 affidavit
    3)notarized Interstate Compact affidavit
    4)notarized Voluntary Relinquishment
    You may take all of these documents to the District Family .Court Office
    vickshultz Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Jul 12, 2010, 10:00 PM
    EASY! Go to the court of administration, get the filling papers for adoption and a filing fee waiver. Where I am from the filing fee is about $450, however if you get the filing fee waiver paper, fill it out and they might waive your filing fee! Then you have to pay for a background check on your husband (it costed me $10). Also the biological father will need to sign in front of a notary (2 signatures). It will take about 3 months! It took me 3 months and $10. I went without a lawyer.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 05:12 AM

Vick--what state are you in?

Adoption laws vary by state.

In most cases, the biological father has to sign away his rights in COURT--a notary witness isn't enough.

To the OP (if you're still around after 4 months)--you need to talk to a lawyer to at least figure out what the laws in your state are.

You CAN do an adoption without a lawyer. You can also set a bone without a doctor. I wouldn't recommend either, though.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2010, 05:20 AM

Mandy,
    I would consult with a Family Law attorney in your area. They can tell you what you need to do to get an adoption approved.

I'm also wondering about your statement that your ex signed his rights away. Was this approved by a court? Only a court can terminate parental rights and they generally will not do so except under specific circumstances.

Edit: I found your other thread and merged them together. I see the other thread indicated where you are and you got a good answer from GV70.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vickshultz View Post
    EASY! go to the court of administration, get the filling papers for adoption and a filing fee waiver. Where I am from the filing fee is about $450, however if you get the filing fee waiver paper, fill it out and they might waive your filing fee! then you have to pay for a background check on your husband (it costed me $10). Also the biological father will need to sign in front of a notary (2 signatures). It will take about 3 months! It took me 3 months and $10. I went without a lawyer.

Not according to this - http://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserve...y/DHS-3206-ENG

I do note that you have posted that the father of one of your children wasn't involved - is this the same child?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It is about third parties adoption.Step-parent adoption is easier to be finalized than third party adoption. There is no requirement a step-parent to take home study for example.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband wants to adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my 4 year old son. His Biologial father does nothing for him and never sees him. He said he would sign over his rights but I am afraid that once he finds out that he is signing over his rights so my husband can adopt him he will back out. The biological father has lived...

I want my husband to adopt my son. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old son and I live in Ohio. I am married to a man since 2004 and he is in the military. My husband has raised my son since he was 4 months old. His "biological father" took me to court in 2005 for visitation rights. He was issued rights through the magistrate but since has never...

My husband wants to adopt my son [ 9 Answers ]

So here is the story... My husband and I were married in February. At that time my ex and I were going through a nasty battle in court over whether he was the father of my son or not. Recently we found out that he isn't. So my question is this. I don't know who the father of my son is, but my...

View more questions Search