Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rybekmo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 08:00 AM
    We have a toilet issue... there is the smell of gas coming in through the water
    Our toilet has a gas smell coming out of the bowl/water. It actually looks cloudy.
    viomary Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2010, 08:06 AM

I am actually very ignorant to any type of plumbing issues but I got this off the internet. Some other sites also said something about a wax seal..?
    Because sewer gas contains methane gas (CH4) there is a risk of an explosion hazard or even fatal asphyxiation. Sewer gases also probably contain hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S) In addition some writers opine that there are possible health hazards from sewer gas exposure, such as a bacterial infection of the sinuses (which can occur due to any sinus irritation). Depending on the sewer gas source and other factors such as humidity and building and weather conditions, mold spores may also be present in sewer gases.
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Mar 24, 2010, 03:52 PM

Is the water cloudy anywhere else in the house. How about in the tank of this toilet? If it smells like sewer gas reset the toilet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 24, 2010, 05:30 PM

Chayn asks good questions, answer them.
    I have a few of my own. Id the smell worse outside the bowl or does it come directly from the water in the bowl. Do you see any bubbles?
    Let's see! How can sewer gas get past the trap in the bowl and come out in the water in the bowl?
    Could be a partial blockage sending a bubble of sewer gas bouncing back up the line.. If so it will smell worse directly after a flush.
    Could be a ruptured wax seal allowing sewer gas to escape.
    Could be a blockage causing back pressure and a blocked vent forcing the gas through the toilet bowl.
    Lottsa things to consider. But I would start by pulling the toiloet, snaking the toilet drain line and installing a new wax seal as I reinstalled the toilet. Smell better now? Tom
    rybekmo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks to all... the smell is definitely coming from the water... someone mantioned pouring bleach and letting it sit for the night to help with any blockages that might be in the trap... I don't smell the gas smell at the base, so I don't think it is the wax ring...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas smell coming up from toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a rehabbed house in which they replaced all the bathrooms and the kitchen and my problems started from day one. At first I used my washing machine and heard a gurgling noise in my kitchen sink. I was told that there was a clog in the main drain. They plunged the drain at the curb...

Weird gas smell coming from air coniditoner [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a single wide mobile home. Earlier today I noticed a smell coming from the air conditioner. It wasn't through the vent's it hasn't ran all day, it hasn't got cold enough too. The smell oddly enough smells almost like propane, more like a natural gas smell though. I live in Louisiana, and...

Sewage smell in upstairs bathroom, coming from toilet [ 7 Answers ]

I replaced my upstairs toilet with a new low flow one, then got my septic tank cleaned out professionally. There's still a bad smell in the bathroom even though my friend took the toilet off again and replaced the wax ring. Help please!! Thanks

Bad smell coming from shower after using toilet. [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved into a brand new condo and have noticed a serious problem with one of my bathrooms. After I "use" the toilet and flush it you hear a big gush under my sink. It turns out I have an Oatey sure vent installed. I compared it to one of my neighbors and theirs isn't nearly as loud as mine....

Sewer smell coming from new toilet installation [ 3 Answers ]

Recently installed bathroom in basement. Broke up the floor and installed new piping into existing sewer line that goes directly out to City Sewers as well as the vent pipe that we hooked into the existing vent for the upstairs toilet. For several weeks we had the toilet piping roughed in, and...

View more questions Search