Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2010, 02:27 PM
    Crushed Coconut?
    I'm not too sure if anyone will have an aswer for me.. but.. I was told by a dude at the Home Depot when he was trying to give his opinion on how to prevent dogs from digging, to lay down crushed coconut (the stuff that is put in reptile cages). He told me that it is completely safe, but resembles walking on broken glass.

Its been in my mind for a couple months now, thought I'd ask. I wish I could break my blue pittie of her horrible potty habits which consist of going in corners or on things. If it works.. Id love to sprinkle some down in every corner of the yard to make it stop.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 02:38 PM

No, don't do that, it would be like cutting flesh on her paws and snout. Just how does she go do her business, it isn't quite clear the way you wrote it? I hope he isn't telling that to people who will actually try it.

Just be happy she is doing it outside, instead of inside **laughing** that is usually the topic !

I would use a spice that she wouldn't like smelling, (or a plant that could do the trick and at the same time be decorative!) such as something that would make her sneeze, but I can't see why this is a problem and waiting for your answer.

Ms tick
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Mar 10, 2010, 02:51 PM
    I can not say this too much... I've found with my husky that the only way to teach him not too dig... Was to well, teach him to dig.

Confusing right. Well the point is to have it so that the dog only digs when given the command to do so.

In order to do this, you have a small spot of your lawn reserved for a digging area. Or even a small sandbox. Go over to the designated digging area with the dog, and kick at the ground, or bury a treat, as soon as the dog starts digging, say ''dig'' and praise the do highly. Do this until the dog starts digging on command.

If the dog learns how to dig and still digs in other spots, distract him from the digging and call him over to the designated spot, and get him to dig there.

Good luck.

ADD: Actually now that I reread your questions, it seems as though your dog is using the bathroom where you don't want it to. You could try to make a designated potty spot also... But dogs normally go where ever they want. Its hard to teach them to go in a certain place.

Although... I have to wonder about my neighbours as their golden always comes over and uses the bathroom on our lawn... ;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2010, 03:11 PM

I am glad she is going outside.. But, she will potty in a corner that makes it very difficult to clean that is right next to the house. Come summer time, there is going to be a lot of bugs by our house and I know my mom will not be happy with her.

Its almost like a compulsive thing that she needs to potty in a corner by the house. During our snowmelt, her corner was all muddy and wet.. So she was going to go to the opposite side of the house that is directly by the back door to do her business. Ihad to watch her every time we let her out.

We are doing some landscapping this summer.. And her little area has the intention of crushed rock. I just want to break this habit before that happens.. Because with those rocks, that's going to make things even more difficult to clean up.

What types of things don't dogs like the smell of? I'm curious now!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 03:12 PM

Max has a desiganed potty area, we just kept taking him over to it until he figured it out. Lucky do mean sprinkle coconut around the area or coconut SHELLS? :confused:

I have heard dogs don't like the smell of coconuts, but that doesn't stop Max from trying to lick the lotion off my legs lol. :rolleyes:
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Mar 10, 2010, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    I am glad she is going outside.. But, she will potty in a corner that makes it very difficult to clean that is right next to the house. Come summer time, there is going to be a lot of bugs by our house and I know my mom will not be happy with her.

Its almost like a compulsive thing that she needs to potty in a corner by the house. During our snowmelt, her corner was all muddy and wet.. So she was going to go to the opposite side of the house that is directly by the back door to do her business. Ihad to watch her every time we let her out.

We are doing some landscapping this summer.. And her little area has the intention of crushed rock. I just want to break this habit before that happens.. Because with those rocks, that's going to make things even more difficult to clean up.

What types of things dont dogs like the smell of?? I'm curious now!

Ah... You know I just thought of something. You see after owning many small animals(hamsters, rabbits and a ferret) I've learned that they use the bathroom in corners.

I currently own a ferret and, they are very difficult pets to litter train. They can actually never be fully litter trained and they will always have accidents. I've found that a good way to get him to use his litter box and not just the corners, I've put stuff in the corners(one corner has his water, another his litter box, another his bed, and anther his food.

In other words why not block off the corners? You know put things in the corners, you could use just everyday things that will not allow your dog access to the corners.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 04:47 PM
    One common product is Bitter Apple, it comes in a spray bottle you can get it at Wal Mart and such places.Some dog trainers will use diluted vinegar as well.
    I've also heard they don't like the smell of citronella or anything citric.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 05:55 PM

:eek: geraniums ! Dogs can't stand the smell of that plant, and you are going to landscape, awesome ! Cheap plant in the spring and even though I like there vibrant colours, can't stand the smell of geraniums... cheap enough to to do a smell test soon.

Smart tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2010, 08:01 PM

My bunny only goes in one corner of her litter box. Same corner every time.

I would opt for making a toilet box.
    This is where you just get some garden edging (about 1 foot tall) and make a box on your lawn where you want your dog to potty.
    Then it's just a case of re-training your dog to use that specific area.
    For yours that likes going in corners you could make the sides of the box solid so she still feels 'secure' while she's going.
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2010, 11:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell;
    Lucky do mean sprinkle coconut around the area or coconut SHELLS?
    Its crushed.. Looks like a heavy granulated sand. I heard from the home depot guy that it helps deter dogs from being in a certain area or from digging. Ive never tried it and never heard about that either..

Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz;
    Then it's just a case of re-training your dog to use that specific area.
    For yours that likes going in corners you could make the sides of the box solid so she still feels 'secure' while she's going.
    I think the easiest thing for me will to re-train her... Do you think it's a security issue? This dog would crawl into herself if she could.

Quote Originally Posted by rex123;
    In other words why not block off the corners? You know put things in the corners, you could use just everyday things that will not allow your dog access to the corners.
    She would more than likely potty on the items I put in the corners. There were large decorative rocks around the crawl space that she has now designated as her toilet. She pooed on all of them.. We had to dig them up and basically throw them because they were icky.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 05:26 AM

I would say it's probably a security thing. Try getting a potty box, and just re training. She will probably be persistent, and she will probably have "mistakes" but you can't succeed unless you try!
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2010, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I would say it's probably a security thing. Try getting a potty box, and just re training. She will probably be persistent, and she will probably have "mistakes" but you can't succeed unless you try!
    Very Very true!! Guess I got my work cut out for me!
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Mar 11, 2010, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    Ah...You know I just thought of something. You see after owning many small animals(hamsters, rabbits and a ferret) I've learned that they use the bathroom in corners.

I currently own a ferret and, they are very difficult pets to litter train. They can actually never be fully litter trained and they will always have accidents. I've found that a good way to get him to use his litter box and not just the corners, I've put stuff in the corners(one corner has his water, another his litter box, another his bed, and anther his food.

... Weird, I always thought ferrets were the easiest to litter train.:confused:
    My hamster is really stubborn and I've tried but I can't litter train him.:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I crushed into my manager.what should I do! [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I've been working at my current job for 10 months now.Since I started there, I've been feeling this weird thing towards my boss.He's 42...But he doesn't look that old!When I fist time saw him, I thought he was like 25-27.He's single, never been married and never had kids (but always...

Crushed by a crush [ 1 Answers ]

I am in middle school and our school has a Halloween festival every year, my crush is new here so I get to spend the whole night with him showing him around. :D There's raffle gift baskets every year and my crush Anthony, won one, it came with tickets to a Lobo basketball game, he asked me to go...

I crushed his ego.. [ 2 Answers ]

I have been seeing this guy who I really like and we had sex for the 2nd time last night... I really have feelings developing but I think the sex part is too fast for me. So as he was leaving I told him that I didn't want to do the sex part anymore.. Maybe I should have waited awhile before...

View more questions Search