Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxgawjuzuxx Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Mar 5, 2010, 07:24 PM
    Sunscreen / zinc for dogs?
    Is there a sunscreen or zinc for dogs or are there certain ones you can use on dogs?. my border collie has a spot peeling on his nose about half the size of a ten cent coin, I was wondering what to use on him to precent him from getting sunburnt?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2010, 08:26 PM

You can buy special doggy sunscreens from pet stores. However if it is on his nose then he will more than likely just lick it off.
    If you apply sunscreen to his nose you would have to hold him still while you rub it in... let it soak into his nose for as long as possible before allowing him to go.

As much as I don't like clothing for dogs they do make sun hats for them with a strap that goes under their neck to keep the sun out of their eyes and off their face.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 06:18 AM

My vet compared the dog sun screen with the waterbabies brabd spf 60, exactly the same. Granted the baby stuff had a scent to it, that may irritae your dog. When my oldes got neutered it was one of the hottest summers going, we had to put sun screen on his belly while we were out camping. We did the same with out shih tzu's. We always used the water babies brand. Plus it was cheaper then the doggy made stuff.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 04:48 PM

I can't remember off the top of my head but there is an ingredient in regular sunscreen that is poisonous to dogs.
    Baby or children's sunscreen doesn't contain that ingredient.
    xxgawjuzuxx Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2010, 03:12 AM

Thank you :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Zinc+lead(ll)nitrate yield zinc nitrate+lead [ 3 Answers ]

write the word equation as chemical equation and balance

Organic Zinc & Inorganic Zinc [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between organic zinc and inorganic zinc ?

Right way to use sunscreen [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I'm little confused about using my sunscreen. Do I have to apply it before or after my moisturizing cream? Also if I want to use foundation,I apply my foundation after sunscreen.Because sunscreen always have a "strange color" when applied on face(like grey or white). Is it still protecting...

Sunscreen and lightning [ 1 Answers ]

It is advisible that sure white cream be used with sunscreen and yet it relieves the skin from damages caused by over exposure to harmful sunrays. Is'nt that conflicting?

Unnecessary sunscreen [ 2 Answers ]

I cannot understanhd for the life of me why it is so necessary that I must wear sunscreen nearly everyday in order to "keep from re-darkening". I am a student who leaves my home at 7 am when the sun is not very well in sight and I spend my days in a school building where sunlight is not directly...

View more questions Search