Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Nov 28, 2006, 07:57 AM
    2003 Accord Battery Drain Over a Week
    My 2003 Accord battery drains if the car is not used for about a week. The problem surfaced about a year after I got the car. The battery sometimes has enough to try to crank the engine, but other times everything is dead, including the time and radio presets. (The lights all seem to be off when the car is not in use.)

It does not matter how the car was driven before it stayed in the garage. I've returned from a 150 mile trip where the lights and wipers were not used and the battery was dead a week later.

The car went into the dealer twice during the Warranty period and each time they said the "parasite draw" was normal and I should just use my car every few days. A couple of months after the Warranty expired, I complained again and got a new battery (for $110) - this did not help.

It is hard to believe this is normal performance. I'm sure other people routinely leave their car unused for a week or two. How could you leave it at the airport during a vacation? I've not had this problem with other cars.

Does anyone have an experience like this or any suggestions as to what the cause might be?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 08:33 AM
    Alarm system, clock, and small LEDs would be some examples of parasitic drain that readily come to mind. Depending on how your car is appointed, there may be anti-moisture heaters, sophisticated recognition sensors, and relays that are always on. There's always a cost to these features. You might look into an Optima battery and installing the largest battery that will fit.
    USFbobFL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2010, 10:23 AM

No answer.. just a comment. My daughter has a 2007 Honda Accord LX V6... has same problem with battery drain if car is not driven at least once every couple of days. Dealer says that's just the way things are. Don't buy a Honda, because that is total B.S. They have a design flaw in their electrical system but will NEVER admit it.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Mar 18, 2010, 10:59 AM
    My problem still persists.

A work-around I use is something called battery brain, which cuts the battery off when the voltage drops. The car always starts when the device is switched off (by a key chain remote). The downside is the loss of radio presets and the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Honda Accord 96 won't Start And It Is Not The Battery [ 2 Answers ]

My Car Will Not Start It Is Not The Battery, It Does Not Even Stutter A Little, It Was Stutering For The Entire Day And When I Parked And Turned The Ignitin Nothing Happened I Checked The Battery And The Battery Is Healthy, I Know It Could Be The Starter But What Is The Worst Case Scenario, My Car...

2003 Honda Accord [ 2 Answers ]

My radio lights just stopped working. Cannot see any controls on the cd, radio, or air conditioner. Was wondering if any one might no what the problem might be. The radio works fine and everything else is fine, just don't have an illumination.

Honda Accord 2003 [ 0 Answers ]

Hey there I am looking for a picture of Honda Accord 2003 white or silver color with white leather inside ?

View more questions Search