Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vikramark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 06:14 PM
    Filed 1040 A instead of 1040 NR ( student ) --- help!
    Hi,
    I am a graduate student came to US in 2008 August. I earned wages from the Univ since then. I filed ITR for years 2008 and 2009 on line using "TAXACT online"for federal returns and received direct deposit. Recently I realized that I will be categorized under non resident alien and has to fill 1040NR.

Regarding the state taxes, I filed paper tax for state in 2008 and did`nt file for 2009 year

Will it be a problem in the future for H1B or any other issue?

Kindly please advise me how should I proceed next
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 01:46 AM

On F1/OPT you are exempt from residency for 5-years. You must file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. Your income is not subject to FICA taxes. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

You filed resident tax return for 2008. You can file amended tax return Form 1040X along with properly done non-resident tax return and Form 8843. Pay the tax due. Attach a letter for Waiver of Penalty giving your reasons this happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrongly filed using 1040 ez instead of 1040 NR in f1 status [ 12 Answers ]

Sir, I filed my 2007 taxes using e file through turbo tax online. I received the refunds and the problem is later I got to know that a student in f1 visa has to file using 1040 nr which I didn't do. I also got the tax refund/rebate check on may 2 as I used 1040 form for filing my taxes. I am...

Another international student that filed 1040 EZ instead of 1040 NR / NR EZ [ 1 Answers ]

"Dear Experts," Greetings from just another non-resident alien who has gotten himself into a tax mess. I came to the United States in 2005 on an F-1 visa to begin my undergraduate education. (I graduate this coming May, hooray!! ) My country of citizenship is Germany. My country of residency...

F-1 Student Filed 1040 Instead of 1040-NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an international student with a F1 visa and I have been in the US for less than 5 years and along with other criteria I qualify as a non-resident alien for tax purposes. My friend put me in touch with an accountant you does taxes and he has been filing the 1040 form instead of...

What happens to those who filed 1040 EZ form instead of 1040 NR EZ? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the penalty or how the IRS will track those who are many filling the 1040 form instead of the 1040 NR. If you go online and use any of the software for taxes they don't option for NR so you end up using 1040 as resident. How this will affect these people? It is cumbersome to...

Wrong Tax form filed by f-1 student. Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a dilemma and I will really appreciate your help. I am a student/f-1 visa holder (non-resident alien). Last week I used an online website (File my taxes for FREE! with FreeTaxUSA) to file tax returns and realized that the website used Form 1040, and PA-40 - 2007 (for...

View more questions Search