Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Amazing extendable leash!
    PlanetDog.com: Buy the Planet Dog Zip Lead?  Retractable Leash - New colors!

I picked one of these up today for my dog. We've had a few clients come through the clinic with them, but I had been unable to find one until now.

Wembley loves his walks, but he likes to go explore a bit, and he has a bit of an issue going to the bathroom with you a foot or two away - so I like to use an extendable leash from time to time to give him this.
    My only issue with extendables is that the handle is bulky as hell - in the winter my hands get cold so I like to loop a leash around my wrist and stick it in my pocket - totally impossible with the extendables. And I don't like wearing gloves with one because it feels like I could lose grip really easy if he hit the end of it hard.

I love this zipline leash. It's got a handle I can loop around my wrist and feel secure, and the place where the line is kept is small enough to put in your pocket.

Anyone else used these?
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 03:20 PM

You may want to check the by-laws in your area because
    I know where I live they are illegal and your dog has to be on a leash six feet or shorter. Just thought I'd let you know instead of maybe you getting in trouble later!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 7, 2010, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    I know where I live they are illegal and your dog has to be on a leash six feet or shorter. Just thought I'd let you know instead of maybe you getting in trouble later!
    Emily, if you followed the link, you would find that the leash only extends to 6' long. It isn't one of the super long retractable leashes.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2010, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post

Emily, I'm not sure you should be posting on any of the adult boards. Your failure to read/understand has caused problems in the past.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 03:35 PM

Yes but that's in MY area. Different areas allow shorter or longer leashes.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 03:49 PM

Judykaytee, yes I did read it, and yes I understood it. All I'm saying is I know in some areas your NOT allowed leashes 6 feet long, in a city only 3 hours from where I live you can't have leashes longer than 4 feet, I do not think I did anything wrong metioning checking with the by-laws.
    laststraw Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 04:26 PM

I could walk my dog on a 20 foot rope here and it would be fine.
    laststraw Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 04:29 PM

Woops I totally sent before I was done!
    As said before, we don't have a leash length law here where I live, Ive never heard of a place that has one?
    I like the leash! It doesn't get very cold here so Im not concerned about that but I don't like the feel of the big extendible leashes. I have a 100 pound lab mix though... is that leash sturdy? Id love to use it for him but I would be worryd about him breaking it
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:15 PM

Not a huge fan of the retractable leads, but that ones pretty neat looking!
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:16 PM

I don't believe we have bylaws in my town for such things - I used to work for animal control so unless it's changed in the past 5 years, we don't have 'em.

Last -- The main piece with the rope in it seems sturdy but I just don't know how well it would do with a larger dog. It comes in large dog sizes so I may be totally wrong, since the one I have is for dogs less than 20lbs.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Not a huge fan of the retractable leads, but that ones pretty neat looking!
    Yeah I'm not a huge fan either, probably mainly because people use them badly. I bought a no-pull harness at the same time, because I'm always afraid that the leash may break (though he's little so I'm not that worried!)
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:20 PM

The reason I don't like them is because around here people have rude dogs and the owners of the rude dogs think every dog they meet is friendly and loves other dogs and "want to be friends"... I have a rather opinionated Pit Bull... Not a good combo!
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:21 PM

I have a scar on the back of my leg from my sister's dog's retractable leash which was sort of a cable. He was running, veered around me and circled, cutting my leg.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    The reason I dont like them is because around here people have rude dogs and the owners of the rude dogs think every dog they meet is friendly and loves other dogs and "want to be friends"...I have a rather opinionated Pit Bull...Not a good combo!
    Yes, I absolutely HAAATE that! "Oh my dog is friendly!" "Well, mine's NOT!"

Granted Wembley loves other dogs, but I respect other people when it comes to having my dog near them. I use the extendable in the more rural areas, but switch to the short nylon leash when I know I'm going to do a lot of walking on sidewalks, etc
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    Yes, I absolutely HAAATE that! "Oh my dog is friendly!" "Well, mine's NOT!"
    Exactally what I say!

Granted Wembley loves other dogs, but I respect other people when it comes to having my dog near them. I use the extendable in the more rural areas, but switch to the short nylon leash when I know I'm going to do a lot of walking on sidewalks, etc
    My dog is more assertive than aggressive. She's very well socialized and will, for the most part, ignore other dogs around her... Until they approach her in the wrong way.

But that's still a neat retractable! I'll definitely mention it to people!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2010, 07:40 PM

I'm not a fan of those leashes, heard too many horror stories to ever want to buy one.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2010, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    Yes, I absolutely HAAATE that!! "Oh my dog is friendly!" "Well, mine's NOT!"

Granted Wembley loves other dogs, but I respect other people when it comes to having my dog near them. I use the extendable in the more rural areas, but switch to the short nylon leash when I know I'm gonna do a lot of walking on sidewalks, etc

I love it when people allow their children to come up to my dogs. As the child gets within range they usually say, "Is he friendly?" I usually say, "I have no idea."

That, and "Does he bite?"

I would NEVER allow my child to go up to a strange dog (I don't even walk up on strange dogs) so I have no idea what goes through people's heads.

I've never had a problem and my dogs are gentle giants but I have to wonder about the stupidity of the general population.

Of course, the fact that I investigate a dog bite or two every week of my life may be causing me to think the way I do.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 08:18 AM
    Yeah it's amazing.
    Wembley I guess is so darn cute they want to pet him. People most of the time don't even ask, they get right in his face before I even realise it. Thank god he loves it haha.

But I really don't know.. he's a little dog (Shih Tzu/Poodle) and I'd be more wary of putting my face near a strange one of THOSE dogs since they seem nippier.. some people just don't think.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 09:16 AM

My dog is an APBT... She has floppy ears, not the rose ear or cropped... She looks a lot like a puppy. Little kids run up to her and throw their arms around her and hug her and kiss her on her head... Her tail does nothing but swing back and forth so fast that her entire body moves... After the kids have done this, the parents come running and ask what type of dog she is and if she's friendly... I tell them... And immediately its,"No honey! That dog's mean, it could bite you." I think if she was going to be vicious or mean in any way, it would have happened before the parents even said anything.

If I didn't love my dog so much, I would almost want her to bite stupid people... But I think my dogs life is more important than most peoples lives :) But that's just me.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 11:27 AM

I am not a fan of those leashes either, used one for a high strung poodle at the shelter once. Lets say it did NOT have a fast enough recall, and I was grasping a thin line trying to pull her back in. Luckily it was a donation, it went in the garbage.
    We were in a field and I was gining her some room to run, and one of those "oh my dog is friendly" people came by with their Collie.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

These are amazing. [ 114 Answers ]

7 (More!) Underground Wonders of the World: Lost Caverns and Buried Cities | WebUrbanist 7 Most Amazing Caves of our World

What an amazing photograph! [ 8 Answers ]

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/inside-an-elephants-womb/2006/11/24/1163871581868.html Not sure if anyone has seen this but I just thought it was a brilliant image!

Just had to share this it is amazing [ 18 Answers ]

Ive never been struck by adverts but heck this one has me by the short and curlys I hear the music I just have to watch its just fascinating :DuwswkJZEdS4

View more questions Search