Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 11:22 AM
    Revaccinations.yes or no
    I came across this article awhile back. I thought it was very interesting... and there was a case study going that was conducted at Colorado State University, which is one of the most elite schools, and is world renown, for the ground breaking discoveries in the vet world.

Puppy Shots and Dog Vaccinations
    By Michele Welton. Copyright © 2000-2010

Vaccinations.. . Are they needed or not?

Only a few years ago, it was considered mandatory to bring your dog to the vet every year for his shots.
    Times have changed.
    Listen to what Dr. Christina Chambreau D.V.M. has to say about yearly vaccinations:
    "Would you rebel if your doctor told you to get measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and hepatitis shots every year of your life until you died, instead of only a few doses as a child?"

People don't need yearly revaccinations. And veterinary immunological researchers now tell us: Neither do dogs and cats.

The most current veterinarian's "bible" says.. .

"A practice that was started many years ago that lacks scientific validity or verification is annual revaccinations.
    Almost without exception there is no immunologic requirement for annual revaccination. Immunity to viruses persists for years or for the life of the animal.
    Only the immune response to TOXINS requires boosters (e.g. tetanus toxin booster, in humans, is recommended once every 7-10 years). NO toxin vaccines are currently used for dogs and cats."

Please read that again. Because it's important.
    It's what Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XI -- the veterinarians' "bible" -- says. It was written by Dr. Ronald Schultz Ph.D. (immunologist and Chairman of the Department of Pathobiological Sciences, University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine) and Dr. Tom Phillips D.V.M. Ph.D.

In plain English, it means.. .
    .. . That the immune system has a "memory." Indeed, the immune system contains memory cells. Once those memory cells have been shown what to do against a particular disease (by one successful vaccination at 11-16 weeks old), those memory cells will produce antibodies against that disease whenever they encounter it -- for years and years, probably for life.

Annual reminders are not needed.

In fact, annual reminders are mostly useless
    Because.. .
    The same article in Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XI goes on to say:
    "Furthermore, revaccination fails to stimulate a secondary response as a result of interference by existing antibodies."

Again, in plain English, that means.. .
    .. . Booster shots don't work when your dog's system ALREADY has antibodies from previous vaccinations. Those existing antibodies neutralize the booster shot.

So repeating vaccinations doesn't "boost" your dog's immunity. Indeed, re-vaccinating an already-immune dog offers virtually no benefit because the previous immunity inactivates the vaccine.

So why are vets vaccinating every year?

Dr. Phillips and Dr. Schultz end their article in Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XI with this bombshell -- the real reason why so many vets continue to insist that dogs require annual vaccinations:
    "The practice of annual vaccination in our opinion should be considered of questionable efficacy unless it is used as a mechanism to provide an annual physical examination."

In other words, your vet gets dogs into his office by declaring that they need yearly shots. Vaccinations account for a good-sized chunk of a veterinarian's income. Vets charge $15 to $50 for vaccines that cost them less than two dollars apiece. Plus you pay $25 to $35 for the office visit. It is in your vet's best financial interest that you bring your dog in every year.

Now don't get me wrong -- regular physical exams can be a good thing, especially for older dogs.
    But ethical vets must stop using the false pretext
    That "yearly shots are necessary"
    Just to lure us into their offices.

In fact, annual booster shots are harmful

"Well, even if yearly shots aren't necessary, they don't do any harm, right?"
    Unfortunately, that's not true.

Listen to what Dr. Charles Loops D.V.M. has to say about the power of vaccines:
    "The first thing that must change is the myth that vaccines are harmless. Veterinarians and animal guardians have to realise that they are not protecting animals from disease by annual vaccinations, but in fact, are destroying the health and immune systems of these same animals they love and care for."

Dr. Christina Chambreau D.V.M. agrees:
    "Routine vaccinations are probably the worst thing that we do for our animals. They cause all types of illnesses. Repeating vaccinations on a yearly basis undermines the whole energetic well-being of our animals. Veterinary immunologists tell us that vaccines need only be given once or twice in an animal's life. First, there is no need for annual vaccinations and, second, they definitely cause chronic disease."

Dr. Roger DeHaan D.V.M. has this to say:
    "We have been destroying the immune system. Over the years it has become increasingly clear that some vaccines are ineffectual or unnecessary, and some vaccines are dangerous, even causing symptoms of the disease they are supposed to prevent."

You might breathe a sigh of relief that your dog has "breezed through" his vaccinations with no immediate reactions. But in reality, you have no idea what is going inside him. The real problems may surface next month or next year.

Listen to what Dr. Pedro Rivera D.V.M. says about vaccines causing chronic disease:
    "Vaccinosis is the reaction from common innoculations. Reactions might take months or years to show up. In our practice, we've seen hypothyroidism, ear infections, immune-system diseases, joint maladies, and behavioral problems as reactions to over-vaccination."

Dr. Charles Loops D.V.M. says:
    "Vaccinations represent a major assault on the immune system, [which] causes irregularities and abnormalities in the immune system, which then manifests as chronic diseases [ranging from] life-threatening conditions such as auto-immune crises to conditions destroying the quality of life of an animal, as in chronic skin allergies. What we are now seeing are generations of over-vaccinated animals."

Dr. Pat Bradley D.V.M. observes:
    "The most common problems I see that are directly related to vaccines on a day to day basis are ear or skin conditions, such as chronic discharges and itching. I also see behavior problems such as fearfulness or aggression. Often guardians will report that these begin shortly after vaccination, and are exacerbated with every vaccine. In a more general and frightening context, I see the overall health and longevity of animals deteriorating."

Let's let the AVMA Journal sum this up

The AVMA Journal (#208, 1996) says: "There is no scientific data to support a recommendation for annual administration of vaccines. Furthermore, repeated administration of vaccines may be associated with a higher risk of anaphylaxis and autoimmune diseases."
    In the same issue:

"There is little scientific documentation that backs up label claims for annual administration of most vaccines. In the past, it was believed that annual vaccination would not hurt and would probably help most animals. However concerns about side effects have begun to change this attitude. The client is paying for something with no effect or with the potential for an adverse reaction."

Annual vaccination schedules have always been based on -- you're going to love this -- the suggestions of the vaccine manufacturers -- NOT on independent research. Is it any surprise that they want annual vaccinations?

Don't be intimidated by your vet

Dr. Don Hamilton D.V.M. warns you NOT to fall for the guilt trip pushed on you by many vets:
    "Another trend of the past few years is coercion of guardians into procedures such as vaccination. This coercion may be blatant, such as refusal to provide services, even emergency care, unless the animal is 'current' on vaccines.

Sometimes even critically ill animals are vaccinated upon admission for treatment.

More subtle means include induction of fear and/or guilt by asserting (as an authority figure) that companion animals are at risk if not vaccinated yearly, and that failure to comply is evidence of lack of caring.

Tactics such as this can create feelings of guilt in the guardian, leading to a fear-based decision to vaccinate an animal that is not at risk. This is unethical, if not outright malpractice, and refusal is an acceptable response."

The conclusion is clear:

YOU must take charge of your
    Dog's vaccination schedule.

Hope this posts!!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 01:01 PM

I can't see the article?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I can't see the article?
    Lucky accidentally double posted. The other one had the article in it.

It looks like the wrong post may have been deleted or something.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 01:06 PM

Thank you! :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 02:37 PM

Geez... I can't seem to find my other post. Ill post the article as soon as I can... sorry guys
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Geez... I can't seem to find my other post. Ill post the article as soon as I can... sorry guys
    No problem, Lucky. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 04:51 PM

I just had a quick look at the article and it is rather long so I didn't cut and paste (Do you have a link Lucky?)
    It's basically about whether people are over-vaccinating their pets which I completely agree with.

After my dogs 1 year vaccination I don't get them done again for 3 years, and even then, my vet says that might be too much now.
    Dogs do not need to be vaccinated yearly.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 05:04 PM

What about Parvo and Distemper?
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2010, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    After my dogs 1 year vaccination I don't get them done again for 3 years, and even then, my vet says that might be too much now.
    My dogs get vax every three years for rabis only... They're on heartworm meds for 4 months out of the years when the mosquitoes are thick. I'm luck and live in a high altitude where heartworm isn't as bad... Although, I think the heartgaurd isn't all that bad, it protects against a lot of other worms as well...
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 11:03 AM

I think heartworm meds have to be the most outrageous. I feel like I am being robbed at gun point to purchase even in winter. I buy the revolution in the winter, and I use Centonol in the summer. I do the yearly vaccines, but am wondering if it is really nessesary after reading the article. I am so paranoid about Parvo, I think I will continuosly get that one. And then there is rabies, I live in the woods (lol) so I think that one is a nessesity... maybe for city dogs they wouldn't need them as often. I guess I am a sucker for a furry face, and when my vet tells me something is going to save their lives, I usually do it!
    I thought it was interesting that you mentioned humans getting the MMR boosters every year. At one point in my life, my white blood cell count was dangerously low. I had to go monthly for MMR boosters, the Hep vaccine, and of course the flu shot. I am totally against the flu shot, only because it has NEVER stopped me from getting the flu. My daughter and I both got vaccinated for the H1N1, but ended up spending 3 weeks in intensive care unit due to the pneumonia it caused.
    Still suffering from chest pains and asthma ( my daughter and I NEVER had breating problems, but have both been diagnosed with RAD, respitory something disease. Surprising I have no idea what it is, usually I would research it until the cows come home).
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2010, 04:46 PM

Trust me, the cost of heartworm prevention is nothing compared to the cost (and risk!) of treatment!
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2010, 04:49 PM
    On the note of revaccinations, we do ours every 3 years at my clinic for most vaccines.

We do push yearly exams though, and people think we are trying to push vaccines or robbing them of money, but we just want to SEE the animal for a nice, thorough exam. The stuff you can catch...
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    Trust me, the cost of heartworm prevention is nothing compared to the cost (and risk!) of treatment!

Yup that's why I continue to buy it :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 09:01 AM

I follow the recommendations of my Vet who knows my dogs, knows the area where I live, works with me. I don't follow advice which I read in studies. That's why I pay a Vet.

And mine have 6-month checkups, rabies shot every year, take heartworm medication, have other vaccinations as recommended (usually every 3 years).

Again - that's why I pay a Vet... and trust him.
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Feb 6, 2010, 09:09 AM

I found a link

Puppy Shots and Dog Vaccinations: Needed or Not?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 09:16 AM

There are hundreds of articles arguing back and forth -
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 09:49 AM

It doesn't hurt them getting vaccinated every year but there is a lot of evidence to support not doing it.
    My vet personally told me every 3 years, and like Judy said I trust him so I listen to him.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 10:39 AM

My dogs get a 3 year rabies... Thats about it. My experience with the kennel cough vaccine has been interesting. I was told by my vet that there are too many different strains of kennel cough for the vaccine to actually work.

I live in the country... I don't even need to license my dogs. I know city dogs have to be vaccinated for everything under the sun... I think one year I vaccinated for Lepto due to the fact I was taking my dog to the lake a lot...

To be honest.. I think the easiest way to keep your dog healthy is to avoid dog parks, kennels and doggie day cares.

On the rescue side... Animals have to be vaccinated to cross state boarders. There have been a couple of stories saying that dogs have died due to over-vaccinating... But of coarse,on the human level, proper documentation should have followed the dog. It was the shelter people who were working with one another who failed to mention the dog had been vaccinated. Which I think is wrong
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 10:44 AM

Kennel cough is an interesting one.
    I didn't bother getting mine done last time. Like you said it's a virus that is constantly mutating, you can get your dog vaccinated for one strain then a few weeks later a whole new strain had reared its ugly head and is resistant to the vaccine.

Unless you have a very young, very old or sick dog kennel cough isn't that nasty.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 12:12 PM

... which is why I push the use of raw honey.

When rescue dogs come in with kennel cough, a lot of times hands don't get washed and I mess with my own dogs. Whenever kennel cough comes through, we feed our older dogs the raw honey twice a day with their food. It keeps them healthy. They don't even get the sniffles.

The raw honey really works when it comes to kennel cough! Sometimes the dogs have the disease so bad that they're on antibiotics along with it, but raw honey helps them with their coughs and drippy noses...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search