Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lil_luke00 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 06:47 PM
    Can they extend your probation if your fines are all paid
    I was just wondering if they can extend my probation if I'm all paid up on my fines and probation costs but I was caught for absolute sobriety twice but never got a new charge in the whole time I've been on. I was sentenced to 18 months probation and am suppose to be off next month. Is there any way that they can extend my supervison if I didn't receive any new charges and am all paid up?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 06:50 PM

No, they can't extend your probation time if you are not in front of a judge at a VOP hearing.

Jan 21, 2010, 07:31 PM
    What is a vop hearing?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 07:34 PM

violation of probation, if you broke the rules, they can violate you and take you before the judge, who may put you in jail ( even though you were not charged with a crime, if you broke the rules of probation.

Jan 21, 2010, 07:37 PM
    Thanks it was only my 2cd violation in 17 months and no new charges so u think that I could still get off next month
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 07:42 PM

Only the 2nd? Often they may put you in jail on the first, often for the second.

What did the PO ( probation officer) say when you talked to them about the violation.

If they don't have a warrant to pick you up, looks like they are going to let you off

Jan 21, 2010, 07:45 PM
    He said that he will talk to his supervisor and she might put me back in counseling and extend my supervison until I'm done with counseling, but I am all paid off on everything, I didn't think they could do that, isn't that like double jeopardy or something?
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 07:49 PM

If the court orders counseling, the court could not close it till the counseling is over, but this is not normal and you would have to appear before the judge.

No, they are not trying you for the same thing, what they are doing is not putting you in jail for the entire probation time, if you had 18 months probation, and they violate you, they can put you in jail for 18 months even if you have one day left on probation.

But most likely he is just messing with you.

Jan 21, 2010, 08:17 PM
    Thanks man
    upsderek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 11:47 AM
    Can a probation officer extend your probation due to unpaid fines AFTER you release date?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CC fines not paid and due to get off in less than 2 months. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm back again for more advice. Here's my original post by the way for a refresher https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/criminal-law/community-control-violation-97521.html . I ended up getting a year in the county jail ( only did like 5 months due to gain time) , had to restart my CC and got a 15 year...

Probation tranfer with all fines paid [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Wyoming but would like to transfer my probation to Texas where I will have a place to live. All of my fines are paid in total, I just have to continue the probation as a law abiding citizen. Is this going to be difficult or simple.

What is the law on probation AFTER restitution is paid? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused::confused: Hi. I am about to make my final restitution payment tomorrow. I am a resident of Staten Island. I was sentenced for 3 years probation and restitution. This was my first and only offense. My question is: If you pay the restitution off even just a few months early, is...

If I can't pay off probation fines before my time is up [ 2 Answers ]

What will happin if I can't pay off my fines before my probation sentence is over? Will they extend it for another year or just until I get my fines paid off? (I live in tn) I would appreciate any knowledge you can spare

What if I can't get a job to pay probation fines & fees [ 6 Answers ]

My son was sentenced to two years of probation for possession with intent to sell or distribute marijuana. One of the requirements was to pay fines and fees of about $2,000. He has been not been able to get a job to pay the fines and fees, but the two years of probation are over He will appear...

View more questions Search