Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peopleperson Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Jan 21, 2010, 01:48 AM
    How do I get over the movie Paranormal Activity?
    Hey everyone. I saw the movie paranormal activity about a week ago, & it really scared me. I know that's its fake but when I lie in bed trying to get to sleep I start thinking about the movie. I then destract myself and think about something else, but even the slightest noise will scare me and make my heat beat very fast. Its really annoying and I feel so stupid for being scared of somethig that I know is not even there. It happens every single night and now I always freak out when it gets dark. Im worried that I may have developed a phobia. Has anyone got any advice that may help me conquer this? If something similar has happened to anyone after seeing this movie,please let me know so I don't feel like so much of an idiot.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 09:05 PM

You are going to have to face this fear. There is something about the movie that has triggered a fear response, and you may not be aware of what it is exactly.

I would say see it again, and really critique it. The animation, the story, the characters. Read how the movie was made, who the actors are, what they do in real life.

Until you can pinpoint what exactly it is that upsets you about this movie, you will have a difficult time waiting for this fear to wear off.

There was a movie called, Rosemary's Baby that freaked me out that way. There was one certain part in the movie where I realized that the baby was actually the devil's child. I was haunted by that for months!! There was another one too, the Excorsist. When the head spun around...

You are not alone in being affected by movies that affect you, either good, or in a bad way.

Try to think, as I said, in a critical way about all the components, characters, plot lines etc. and see if there isn't one part more than the others that has you spooked.

Good luck.
    pinkangelgirl Posts: 45, Reputation: 8

Jan 22, 2010, 05:42 AM

OMG! This has happened to me to! I don't usually watch horror movies but I watched it with my husband and 2 nights after I barely slept at all as I was scared and since then I wake up from any sounds with my heart pounding. I keep telling myself that its not real but it even freaked my husband abit. I do think I've already had a fear to this kind of thing and watching this movie just triggered it. I just try to distract my mind and pray about other things to calm me. Wish I could help you more.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 07:31 AM

I went through the exact thing.

I watched it early on, right as it got released.. The night I watched it was a no sleeper,the next few weeks were very limited sleeps, even now, around a month after the fact,I still listen to all sounds at night and get that fear response, rapid heart rate,hyper awareness,etc.

I attempt to think rationally,IS THAT SOUND SOMETHING I NEED TO BE WORRIED ABOUT?,AM I REALLY GOING TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN?,HOW CAN I GET PAST THIS?

Time has made it less traumatic,rational thinking and investigating the sounds/feelings has made it less serious.

It isn't a weakness that you have,I have it, members of other sites I belong to have it, it's a horror movie, it was made to be as horrific as possible, and has succeeded in your case, and mine.

The distracted thinking is the best bet,as far as I am concerned, I attempt to think of other things, go to a safe place in my mind, a place where there isn't those haunting feelings...

Give it time, you can get past this.. and you can always write back here to discuss this, I will respond.
    peopleperson Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Jan 22, 2010, 04:56 PM

Hey everyone thanks heaps 4 helping me & making me feel a lot better.I have found some ways to help myself overcome this movie.

I try to wear myself out in the day so I am tired enough to accually sleep.

I find that when I am with other people,I feel a lot safer, so I have been having a few sleep overs with a couple of my friends.

Im not very good at my times tables, so I go through them in my head when I try to get to sleep.

I have almost overcome my fears,& its all thanks to you guys!!
    tracey2010 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2010, 06:34 PM

I have just watched paranormal activity and it has give me the willies big style, my partner sat though it with me and he said that it was not really scary but I think it has got to be the scariest film ever made yet (the one I've seen anyway) but yes I understand where you are coming from as I am too scared to sleep right now and after watching the film I did hear a bang which sent my heart racing, but hopefully I will get over it and I am not watching it ever again as I don't want that nasty experience again
    smith1012 Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 18, 2010, 08:29 PM

I have been in the same situation in the past. I watch those horror movies and when I go to bed, I panic in fear.

Nowadays it doesn't bother me as much because I don't pay attention to my thoughts.

It's simply the THOUGHTS about what happened in the movie actually happening in real life that bother you.
    bobtoughguy7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
    I have just watched it and am now trying (and failing) to convince myself to go through to my room as I can only sleep in the dark.Guess that'll teach me to not follow mums advise and watch paranormal activity at midnight!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2010, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtoughguy7 View Post
    I have just watched it and am now trying (and failing) to convince myself to go through to my room as I can only sleep in the dark.Guess that'll teach me to not follow mums advise and watch paranormal activity at midnight!
    Just remember,it was only a movie, all of it was acting,scripted,special effects... even though it seemed so real.
    ssheila Posts: 5, Reputation: -1

Oct 28, 2010, 09:39 AM
    Spirits really can visit you even if you're not asking for it to happen. I know I am and have experienced it for myself along with others at my house. I'm no longer afraid, but in the beginning I was afraid. I am originally from Louisiana so this type of stuff is not uncommon to me. A lot of things has happened to me there that I've seen or someone else I know has been through. The best way is to possibly speak to the spirit because most of them just want attention. Well that depends on if it's human or has NEVER been human (Demonic). You have to stand up for yourself because they live of fear, fighting and you name it. Basically they well some are pranksters and then you have your mischievous spirits. DO NOT be afraid (even though to some it may be hard to do & say that) but just talk to the spirit in your home or even help them find their way where they need to go (like some towards the light) and this is TRUE! Some are just afraid and don't leave because they may find comfort in your home. Some just have unfinished business and just need help taking care of that. Also if your baby/child says they have an imaginary friend most likely they aren't lying most likely it's a spirit that they are talking to & calling their imaginary friend. Most import don't be afraid because then that's when they try to get the best of you & your family. Just speak to them & ask if you can help them or even if they could please leave. I hope my information has been helpful & not too scary because remember They were once just like us! Good Luck & God Bless!

ssheila Posts: 5, Reputation: -1

Oct 28, 2010, 09:46 AM
    Comment on Jake2008's post
    Way to go Jake! Very good suggestion. You're right! Critiquing the movie tearing it down making it smaller than it actually is & not allowing it to take anymore of your energy will actually be helpful. Great Advise!
    vampirepenguin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 06:11 PM
    I need help too, except this time its because of Paranormal Activity 2. I watched #1 last year but it didn't really scare me much until watched it at night and since then I've watched the movie so many times it doesn't even bother me anymore. Then I moved to Florida to live with my boyfriend. We went to go so Paranormal Activity 2 together and now I'm afraid of everything -- TV shows like Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures (especially the latter), noises made by the cats or our neighbors, shadows, even the dark. I used to love all those things until I saw that movie and every time my boyfriend goes to work (at night) I usually end up staying up all night, I have to leave all the lights and the TV turned on, and I'm afraid to sleep in our bedroom. I don't know what to do anymore and I'm tired of being afraid of the things I used to love. Please, help me.
    vmitanov50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Listen to some rolling stones?
    tropic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 12:18 PM
    SSheila's comments might scare people. The truth is that these movies bring up hidden fears that we have about real lie. For most, it's afear of being overpowered, or a loss of control, or a combination of both. Jake2008 is exactly on point. I know I was afraid of this and similar films when I thought about certain scenes later. Usually a noise or something weird happening where I would 1) not know what the assailant was and 2)was not sure how to defend against it. Ha! The source of horror! Once we come face to face with what the fear is, then we can logically analyze how it affects us in real life. I can find examples in the real world of how I experience this day to day and learn about myself. Hope you will try that, ignore all the spirit talk which is just more make-believe, and go on to enjoy yourself!
    AdamBirch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2012, 08:42 AM
    SSheila. In a way I agree but in others I disagree. You don’t talk to spirits, you command them in the name of God who has given us authority over all things to leave you alone. You don’t waste your time talking to them finding out why they are there or what they want. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a religious nut that goes around preaching at every given opportunity but I am a Christian and believe and rely on the word of God to protect me and guide me. The reason I’m writing this comment is because I stubbled onto this web site as I’ve also been mentally haunted by these films yet for some reason I still want to watch the next ones (probably not a wise idea I realise) I think the reason I’m scared is because of my beliefs this subject is very real to me. All I can do though is stand by the word of God and pray for safety and protection from such evil forces. Ephesians chapter 6 v12 states this "for or struggle is not against flesh and blood but against the rulers and against the powers, against the the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places" Before this it talks about putting on the full armour of God so to protect yourself. And then verse 18 tells us to pray at all times in the spirit. (The Holy one no other) so there you have it. I know it may seem strange me being preachy yet confessing that I too have fear of this film but I have fear for different reasons but do not have fear that my God will let harm come to me. He is the one that has claim to my soul, I am His and He is mine.

Hope this helps in anyway shape or form :-) (I'm not sure that anyone will read this as the last comment was around a year ago but the helps there any who.)

Adam

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible paranormal activity [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any information on paranormal activity at 275 south main street in pleasant gap, pa We are having some problems and need help!!

Paranormal activity [ 14 Answers ]

What could I do to find out if there's a ghost in my house

Paranormal activity! [ 5 Answers ]

OK well I have a lot of activity in my house with ghosts and I'm the only one who see hears and feels what they do.I am a 14 year old female,I lost my girlfriend to suicide so ik she's with me. But my house was built on a cemetery. I live in my own room for 8 years until this year. My room would be...

Unexplained Paranormal Activity? [ 3 Answers ]

In the past year, my family and I have been experiencing some weird stuff. We are big sceptics, but can't find a logical explanation for some of the things that have been going on. Very often, we will wake up in the middle of the night and feel like someone is sitting on our bed. We have a cat and...

More paranormal activity [ 4 Answers ]

I have an electronic woopee cusion that keeps going off by itself.. but it started doing this right after I stopped from practicing telekinesis today. What's happening? Any psychic help would be greatly appreciated... thank you and god bless.

View more questions Search