Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dprice83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 01:06 PM
    No Neutral Danger
    I have a farm shed with 1-100 W Light bulb.Recently the neutral overhead wire broke. Can I drive a ground rod and still use the light? Or do I need to run new wire?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 01:45 PM
    Absolutely 100% NO, and then yes.

A ground rod serves NO role in the functionality of the electrical system. It does NOT serve as, provide, or create a "ground" as far as a circuit ground.
    And it especially would not or could not serve as a current carrying neutral.

Run a new wire.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 05:33 PM

Agree 101%. If the wire broke is there a reason you can't splice a repair?
    dprice83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 07:41 AM

No reason other than cost .I was quoted $250 min. for a bucket truck to come out and repair.
    Thanks for the replies.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 12, 2010, 01:33 PM
    $250 is a lot. If you only use the light occasionally, you can probably get creative with a solar panel, battery, and high efficiency, low voltage bulb for less money and more fun!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 06:10 PM

I'd get a direct bury cable and a shovel before I'd pay $250 for a truck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happen if you connect some grounds and neutral to the neutral bus bar and the do [ 1 Answers ]

The same conect some grounds and neutrals to the ground bus bar just using whichever bus bar is closest to the breaker so the wires don't have to travel all around the breaker box is that OK and safe to connect wires like that thank you

Dog in danger [ 4 Answers ]

I consider my dog as family and he is only 6 weeks old, I bought him and then I washed him twice in some flea and tick killing shampoo, he ate and walked around no more than 5 minutes, so I picked him up and seen 2 fleas on his face... omg... I wrapped him in a lot of blankets and put him in a tote...

She Is In Danger. [ 32 Answers ]

I have a 9 year old little sister that's been abused in different ways. First off her mother (my step mother) had a misscarrage about a year ago. This is something that terrifies my little sister. She will NOT let her mother go and to clubs, bars, etc. because she's scared her mother will get...

In danger [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a single mom of a set of twins, their dad went to jail 5mos after they were born on robbery and crack cocaine charges. Bob has been in and out of jail and on crack since he was sixteen he is now thirty-six. After four years in prison he was release this April. Bob is now coming to my home...

Danger? [ 1 Answers ]

?? Hello to all and thanks in advance for any help you might have to offer. My name is Angela, 11/5/74, and I need to know if the bad feeling I keep getting is related to someone who could possibly be dangerous, or something else. I just can't seem to pinpoint what is wrong, though I can sense...

View more questions Search