Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zoso66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Isolating ground and neutral in a subpanel
    Why do I need to isolate the ground and neutral in a subpanel when it is already bonded back at the main panel?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2009, 09:52 AM

Take a look at the stickly grounding Bonding and surge supression in the Electrical & Lighting link at the top left.

If you still don't understand, holler.

In essence, the MUST be only one point of reference. That point, must be a signal reference, like water pipes, bath fixtures, CATV etc and it also must be the common point where power originates for the home.

Differences in potentials cause by ground currents (ground loops) raise the voltage on the points that are supposed to be zero.

Ground is both protective and signal ground. It must be potential free except during faults. A fault would raise the potential of the wire carrying the fault. If all of them terminate in one place, then the entire system's ground potential doesn't raise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Subpanel Neutral & Ground On Same Bar [ 3 Answers ]

I just met with an electrician. I want to install a dedicated circuit in a sub panel. Since I live in an old multi-unit, the sub panel only has a neutral bar. I ask the electrician what are you going to do with the ground wire? The electrician replied, "Since the neutral bar is bonded, you can...

Subpanel Neutral Wiring [ 11 Answers ]

I just helped my son install a new Guardian generator that came with a subpanel containing an automatic transfer switch. I have a question about the neutral wires the panel came with. First let me describe the subpanel: The subpanel has a 70 amp automatic transfer switch, which is fed by...

Subpanel Grounding Rods and Neutral Bar [ 7 Answers ]

My main service panel is installed in a detached garage. Our new home is fed by a subpanel run underground from the garage. At the garage panel I have two ground rods and the neutral bar and ground bar in the panel are connected. At the house subpanel location do I need additional ground rods...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Reduced Neutral for Subpanel Feeder [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am adding a sub-panel for a new cooktop and double wall oven. They are rated 9KW and 7.5KW. I already have 1" EMT run from my main panel to a good location under the kitchen in the basement (about 40'). I have some wire and a load center on hand that I would like to use if I can,...

View more questions Search