Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bltlover47 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Threatening Jealousy in Relationship
    My girlfriend recently moved to my county to be closer to me, but moved in with a male friend of hers that has a reputation of being a bit "sleazy." I recently accidentally saw an e-mail that I quickly glanced at alluding to the fact she might have given him *oral sex* a while back as a freshman in college. I'm not threatened by their living situation anymore because I know she loves me and would never dream of cheating, but deep down it doesn't sit well with me and I don't like the idea of my girlfriend living with someone that she has a history with, even for one time. Is this something I am being immature about and how can I move on without thinking about it?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Open and honest communication.

From what you have written you could be jumping to conclusions about their past relationship (if there was one).

While I believe that her past is her past, if you have any concerns about the relationship you should be able to talk with her about them.

Nov 12, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Threatening Jealousy in Relationship
    My girlfriend recently moved to my county to be closer to me, but moved in with a male friend of hers that has a reputation of being a bit "sleazy." I recently accidentally saw an e-mail exchange of hers and a friend of hers, that I quickly glanced through, with a point alluding to the fact she might have given him *oral sex* in the shower as a freshman in college, even though she NEVER gave any indication about any type of history with him before we were together, and repeatedly mentioned she really didn't like him when she met him for being sleazy. I'm not threatened by their living situation anymore because I know she loves me and would never dream of cheating, but deep down it doesn't sit well with me and I don't like the idea of my girlfriend living with someone that she has a history with, even for one time. I have asked her several times about it and she repeatedly denied it, but I am not sure if she is just trying to prevent me from being hurt. I desperately want to believe her, and want to never think about it again, but I do not think this will not happen until I am 100% convinced. Is this something I am being immature about and how can I move on without thinking about it?
    Young_Cardinal Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Man she should at least understand where you're coming from
    Why does she have to live with him if I might ask?
    I would be rightfully as concerned as you are
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 09:19 PM
    Please keep all questions regarding the same issue in the same thread so that we can follow your story.

You either believe her or you don't. Seems pretty clear that you don't believe her, which is a huge breakdown in trust. No trust = no relationship

If you can't find it in yourself to believe her and she can't do anything for you to trust her, then this relationship is going to end whether you want it to or not.

Spend more time trying to talk it out. Try to keep things calm and civil though.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Nov 13, 2009, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bltlover47 View Post
    I recently accidentally saw an e-mail that I quickly glanced at alluding to the fact she might have given him *oral sex* a while back as a freshman in college.
    From this, you didn't read the email (or you are covering up snooping which is a concern in itself) and anything you might have read was taken out of context. People joke around and flirt. Another person who is not privy to the 'inside joke' might think that the people were being serious. Sarcasm is another thing that doesn't translate well to the written word.

Either you admit to having snooped and read her email and ask her about that specific incident or you accept that maybe you didn't read what you thought you read and move on.
    ManOfTheYear Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 06:42 AM
    Ummmm that is a little questionable??
    Why is she staying with him? And they have history together. That wouldn't sit well with me either dude. But you say you have brought it up and she has denied it every time. You can either take this with a grain of salt or you can just say " eff it and move on with your life "

Either way, she said she hasn't done it so I would leave it at that and continue life...

TIME IS THE REVEALER OF ALL TRUTH!!

Dec 5, 2009, 11:17 PM
    Threesome in my Girlfriends Past
    A few months ago, my girlfriend told me she had a threesome with her very attractive, but provocative roommate, three years before we met (when she was 19) with a guy they met the day before at a conference in Washington D.C. She said "nothing really happened" but said they both gave him oral sex, which I was annoyed about, but didn't think much of.

About six weeks ago, we were going through Facebook pictures, and at one point, she pointed to a picture of her with some guy and said "oh that's the guy we had the threesome with" to my utter shock and disgust. I couldn't believe she would show me a picture of him. I am resentful that someone shared this experience with my girlfriend after only knowing her for a day. It has been six weeks or so since the incident, and I am still shocked and disturbed by the entire scenario. She can't understand why I'm still so upset over a picture, but I feel like it has changed my perspective on her- like any wholesome aspect of her has been completely erased- which is part of the reason I am still upset. When I see old pictures of her, I just kind of shake unable to accept the fact that this person accomplished this feat with her. I am not sure if it is jealousy, or there was a genuine lost of respect, but I was wondering if anybody had any perspective on this situation. She has even said would consider having one with me, but somehow it feels like it wouldn't be as spontaneous, considering how well I know her.

Am I just being immature or do I have a right to be upset?
    Misshersomuch Posts: 84, Reputation: 12

Dec 5, 2009, 11:31 PM

I think you have the right to feel the way you want about this - to an extent.

You can't go blaiming her for what she's done sexually (or in any other way, really) in her past.
    You hadn't even met her at the time!

However, if this is something you can't deal with, talking with her about it will be the way to go.

If this is something that disgusts you, I can understand how you reacted to the whole deal with showing you a picture of the guy.
    I wouldn't want my girlfriend to show me pictures of her old sex partners either.

But you have to accept the fact that she has had sex with people before, if you're not able to accept that, this is a lost case in my opinion.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 10:19 PM
    Is it the threesome that bothers you, or that she had had sex before she met you. Would you feel the same if she'd only had sex with men?

How long have you two been together, and has she ever given you reason to question her fidelity?

Were threesome's a regular part of her life, or was it a one time deal.

I am unsure without more information, just where you're coming from.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 10:26 PM

This is in her past. She didn't even have to tell you about it, it really is none of your business.

Now that she has you're not happy. Not fair.

Were you a virgin when you met her? If not, you have no right to judge.

Just fyi, I had a threesome with two guy friends when I was 18. I met my husband when I was 19. He knows all about it and the kicker, I'm still friends with the two guys.

It was a stupid teen thing to do. It's in the past and that's where it stays. My husband is mature enough and confident enough to know that I love him and only him, that the past is something that happened before I met him.

In other words, yes, I think you're being immature about this.
    Ther4peuticH3at Posts: 116, Reputation: 38

Dec 6, 2009, 11:46 PM

Well, ignorance is bliss... I'm sorry you had to know about the whole thing; even more sorry that she actually showed you pictures of the dude. But from here on, this is YOUR deal; if you want to get hung up on it all, it's your fault. You can either grow up a lil', get over it and be happy w/ your girl and enjoy the distinct relationship that you two share. Or, you can stay stuck on it and be miserable. Or you can just move on to the next relationship if you just can't get over it, if she's so tainted now.

For what it's worth, whatever she had with anyone in the past will never be the same as what she shares with you; you have her in a way that no one else will ever have her. What every couple shares is unique; so cherish what you have and try not to let envy rule you, and ruin everything you've made together.

And to be clear, this is essentially a confidence thing. You could always just find a way to convince yourself that you could have pulled off what that guy did... Then, his feat becomes irrelevant... but I suggest you just find your own confidence and let the whole thing go.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2009, 11:53 PM
    Um, I think you're being immature and placing far too much importance on a single sexual act. So she showed you a picture of the guy whose cock she sucked. Hell, you should be happy she's honest! Clearly she thinks it's a bit of a laugh and she has the courage to be adventurous.

Why act indignant and offended by something that happened once three years ago? Why worry about the fact that she showed you his photo? It doesn't really tell you anything about her (except that she's open), your response really tells you much more about yourself.

Let it go. There are much more important things to be disgusted about - the potential for global warming or the atrocities being committed in the Congo are much more worthy of your shock and distress.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2009, 11:53 PM

Your being Immature completely. It might be hard to think about it, but your first word OR words is this is something that happened in her PAST. That is right, it is called the past for a reason. Unless she has giving you reasons to not think it is in the past. Everybody has different experiences but you can not hold this over her, or make her guilty of something she experienced before you.

You need to get past this or your relationship will go down the drain and you and your jealousy will be the only reason why.
    emopunk7 Posts: 1,052, Reputation: 161
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 01:08 AM
    Everyone says you are being immature. I happen to think the fact that she showed you a picture of the guy was immature. Was she proud of it or wanted a reaction from you? I'm sorry but I think she is immature. I mean she even suggested one with you. Hmmm!! Not so serious about you?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 01:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by emopunk7 View Post
    Everyone says you are being immature. I happen to think the fact that she showed you a picture of the guy was immature. Was she proud of it or wanted a reaction from you? I'm sorry but I think she is immature. I mean she even suggested one with you. Hmmm!!! Not so serious about you?
    I disagree.

The picture was probably not a planned thing. Facebook you can keep in touch or have pictures with so many different people. So what if she showed him a picture. At least she is not hiding anything and being honest about it. It happened 3 years ago. Maybe she is not interested it threesomes anymore, does not make her less interested or serious about him.

Maybe she wanted to know if he was open to that experience or not. Who are we to judge?

Joe
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 11:19 AM

If your already tripping on her past, I doubt seriously if you have a future. What she has done, and maybe will do, will freak you out, and overwhelm you.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008
    I am unsure without more information, just where you're coming from.
    Absolutely agree. With this response, I'm assuming he's been dating this girl for a while now, at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by bltlover47 View Post
    Am I just being immature or do I have a right to be upset?
    If she volunteered this information, then you, you have a right to be upset.

It is immature to think information like that will have no effect just because it's over and done with. I've had this backfire on me enough times to know to keep my mouth shut about certain events that I was involved in, but I was also a teenager. A three-way that happened three years ago is non-essential, so the only reason why she'd tell him is because she truly believed it was harmless (and at 22, I'm not buying it), or she wanted a reaction. But, if you badgered her into telling you this, then ignore everything I said and realize you were asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    At least she is not hiding anything and being honest about it
    Ya, and what good came out of her telling the truth? Absolutely nothing. Now he's angry and she probably feels awful for what she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Maybe she wanted to know if he was open to that experience or not. Who are we to judge?
    If she wanted to know that she'd probably just ask "hey, do you wanna have a three-way?" and have left the story out.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 01:57 PM

The fact that you are not begging off on a three way now indicates that this is a jealousy issue and not one of morality.

Your reluctance ,if at all , is that the spontaneity would be lost if it happened now with you and her.
    Your reluctance is not due to a moral issue.

This was a blow to your ego and you need to get over it if you are ever going to move forward in the relationship.

As an aside,I do not think you have the open minded head for a threesome.It takes a special type of person to put it in the proper perspective.
    emopunk7 Posts: 1,052, Reputation: 161
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 03:14 PM
    I believe threesomes should be done with friends or someone you just met, if at all. Threesomes in a relationships is a huge no-no for me. I think it destroys many things without even realizing. It can be fun but I'd prefer to stay off that road. I joke many times with gfs saying I want a threesome but I doubt I would ever really do that. I want my girlfriend all for me... lol

If this happened 3 years ago then I think your mind is getting the best of you. Don't worry too much. I still think it was immature of her and I don't see how anybody can disagree. Perhaps she didn't mean anything by it but it is still immature. If I'm talking to a girl I like and I see a picture of a girl I had sex with, would I out of nowhere just point and say hey I had sex with this girl? Gross. No need to know... thanx.
    But whether it was immature or not is irrelevant. Because this is about how will you handle this.

I can relate. I had a girlfriend who had threesomes in her past. She was even lesbian for a while. She was gorgeous! We had a great 6 months but I couldn't really trust her. She constantly hung out with guys that liked her and didn't take me to hang out with her friends because she said her guy friends wouldn't like me... im still confused. Point is she had a best friend that she had sex with... a girl... I was cool with it because they only spoke over the phone... if it were in person I'd be less okay with it... Point is all that made it hard for me to trust her even though she hadn't done anything to me. So its confusing. I wish I did trust and at least tried harder. Its just harder being in a situation. If its bothering you just try to ignore it for now and see what else happens.. If there are multiple things wrong then move on but I personally think it is us with the issue of not being so confident and being able to leave those things behind. I'm learning more now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step-daughter threatening entire relationship [ 3 Answers ]

I am in a real quandry. Last Thursday my step-daughter (16 yr) and my oldest daughter (21 yr) got into an argument. I kept them separate and took no sides. Then my girlfriend got home and we were trying to sort things out. Her daughter refused to follow directions (to come into room) since my...

My jealousy is going to ruin my great relationship [ 6 Answers ]

About 5 months ago, I got engaged to the most amazing, sweet, and awsome guy. We have a very strong, and very loving relationship. There's only one problem. I have huge trust issues, and I am an extremely jealous person. I have had a lot of bad relationships that were physically, emotionally...

Is it possible to overcome intense 2 way jealousy and have a relationship? [ 12 Answers ]

I am a divorcée. I got divorced because My wife and I both knew that I was in love with someone else. In fact, we are actually in very good terms and still talk and even hang out sometimes- we just realized the love wasn't there and decided to end it before we had children. The woman I am still...

Jealousy in unfaithful relationship [ 8 Answers ]

Well me and my ex boyfriend have been through alot- he cheated I took him back we got in a cycle of breaking up & getting back together. The last time we broke up he started seeing a girl from the local pub. He broke this off with her and decided he wanted to work on us. Things have been going...

I need opinions on jealousy in my relationship. [ 4 Answers ]

I have been with my fiancee' 6 yrs, and admittedly cheated on him last year during a 'rough' patch :( . He forgave me in time, but since then he goes out of his way to openly flirt/smile/ with other girls in front of me. I try not to notice but it is 'so in your face'. I watch him when I am...

View more questions Search