Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Burnz0 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Hanging stuff from garage roof joists/beams?
    Hi

I am looking to hang some gymnastic rings from the exposed beams/joists in my garage (sorry I am not clued up on the beam/joist/rafter terminology) but am slightly concerned about how much weight the roof will support.
    I'll try to explain the setup as best as I can as I can't upload a drawing at the moment). I live in a standard semi, with the garage attached to the side with a sloping roof. There are diagonal supports that sit on top of the external wall and run up to the house wall and rest of a piece of timber that has been drilled into the wall. There is also a single beam that runs the length of the garage, supported by the front and rear walls, that the diagonals rest on about midway.
    I had planned to simply loop the straps the rings come with over this single middle beam (that runs lengthways) and then that would be it but I am wondering if I need to give it additional bracing or something? Previously I had a punch bag hanging in the same way and it used to make the whole structure shake so ideally I am looking for something more substantial. I had considered attaching a piece of wood across several of the diagonal pieces to spread the load but my main concern is that they aren't supported very well themselves. As it stands most of the support seems to come from the external wall that they rest on, as at the other corner they are sitting on a worringly thin piece of wood that is bolted into the wall - so obviously I don't want to risk pulling the whole roof down.

I apologise for my vague description but hopefully someone out there will understand the type of setup I have. By the way I weigh roughly 70kgs & the rings weigh virtually nothing but I'm guessing there will be additional stress put on the structure when performing the swings etc.

Thanks
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 11:15 AM

Can you post a picture of the rings themselves?

We really need to know how they mount.

Nov 13, 2009, 02:17 AM

They are basically two rings with straps that go through them and then have the clasp to secure them in place. I had planned to literally chuck them over the main middle beam and hang from their as I am reluctant to start drilling and hanging them from an eye etc.
    I noticed yesterday that the middle beam - that runs the length of the garage isn't completely vertical and is slanted so that the diagonals sit flush to it. I know that most of the strength of the beams comes from the vertical direction so I am wondering if this might significantly reduce the strength?
    I'll try and take some proper pictures at the weekend if need be?

Nov 13, 2009, 02:40 AM
    Google Image Result for http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/35240.jpg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiled terrace on garage roof leaking rain in to garage [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a concrete block built garage the roof of which acts as a terrace/patio. It is tiled with quarry tiles. Recently, during severe weather, the rain has started to run through the tiles (somehow? The grouting was waterproof and looks OK) and through the joints in the concrete into the...

Hanging extension from back of garage roof [ 1 Answers ]

Several years ago my neighbor hung an extended roof from side of existing garage - turned out to be a carport - where can I get info on how to do this on my garage? Both of us have moved away from that area - TNKS

Ceiling joists over garage [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question that I hope I can provide enough details for to get some opinions. This is a situation that existed in my house when I purchased it, and wasn't mentioned by the home inspector. The home has a 1 1/2 car garage (not quite 2... ) with a steeply pitched roof. The previous...

30 yr old MONCRIEF hanging garage furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking for a reset button with thermocouple outlet in the side for old moncrief garage hanging heater. Have taken apart a wire is loose I used to be able to hit reset to start but this year nothing REPLACEMENT AVAILABLE?

View more questions Search