Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxgawjuzuxx Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Oct 22, 2009, 02:42 PM
    misbehaving dog
    my border collie x is a bit naughty, at times he won't come to me ( when his playing or when his got something his not suppose to) his great with other dogs though a bit bossy at first & usually loves my 4 yr old sister but yesterday he snapped at her. I was wondering if anyone had ideas to get him under control and to listen to me, I don't want him to be scared of me or anything.. sometimes he will come to me with something his not allowed but not often.. I've recently been told to hold him down in dominence ( on the ground on his side) to show him who's boss for 20 minutes everyday.. I feel awful though. His a sweet playful dog who loves cuddles & attention from people but has a few issues.. we have also moved house a few weeks ago & he has a new friend who's very well behaved most of the time & her owner is worried my dogs going to teach hers bad habits.. id also like to be able to have him off leash at parks etc. I use to let him off at a park I took him to everyday, but I have recently moved & the closest place is very exciting for him with water to swim in ( he loves water), other dogs & plenty of trees.and roads not far. I'm not sure how to get him to come back & stay with me again he comes when whistled to but I can't whistle.. please help (: thanks
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 07:02 AM

Well I don' think it is a good idea to hold your dog down, I believe this only shows him more aggression, and would become fearful of you every time you come close to him, or could think this is a new and strange play time, and become more excitable. I would suggest Obiedience classes. And it will take lots of time and effort to teach you dog manners. If you want to show him that you are the pack leader, then when he is doing somehting wrong then you need to stand tall and say "NO" in a very firmative (but not yelling) deep voice. Also you need to reward him when he has done something good. How old is the dog, and is he neutered?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 04:38 PM

A lot of trainers use the method of holding the dog down... honestly, I don't think it does much good in most cases.

I'm a bit fan of positive reinforcement, and while mine do get punished they get praised a lot more.

Just getting your "grump on" and putting on an angry voice usually works to show you are boss as well as time outs.
    xxgawjuzuxx Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Oct 27, 2009, 07:57 PM

Thank you (: yeah I don't really like the idea of the dominence thing.. he does listen sometimes when I growl at him but sometimes he thinks its game as well.. ill try & be a bit more firm when I do though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace thermostat misbehaving [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Heatilator gas fireplace wired to a thermostat. It used to work just fine. Now, if I turn up the 'stat, nothing happens. If I short out across the 'stat contacts, the fireplace comes on and stays on until the 'stat is satisfied. This process repeats itself next time the 'stat calls for...

Min Pin misbehaving [ 6 Answers ]

I have a two year old min pin who chews everything from shower curtains, rugs, pillows to chap stick. He only does this when left alone. I also have a 4 year old rottie lab who is his best friend. They play well together and are inseprable. Rottie... no problems. Min Pin... very destructive. ...

View more questions Search