Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ellenes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Looking to fix a leaking basin waste pipe without digging into the wall!
    I live in a 1930's block of flats. About a month ago the building needed the down pipes in each flat replaceing. They did this by digging into the wall and replacing it with a plastic down pipe. All good so far... I then got the work plastered over and had my bathroom re-done (I have been living without a proper bathroom for four years. Everything is in and I start using the basin sink. I then notice that a large water mark is appearing on the wall right where the basin sink waste pipe crosses over with the down pipe. The waste pipe is also now dripping on the outside of the buiding.

The building management have come to have a look and want to dig into the wall (basically ripping out my brand new made to measure vanity unit and sink etc). I have heard that you can insert a new pipe into a waste pipe (because it's not pressurised) and this would solve the problem of not digging into the wall and fix the leak. I really really don't want to start ripping everything or have them dig into the part where the leak is showing as I think it would just cause problems somewhere else.

I'd be really grateful if someone could let me know if it's possible to insert a new pipe in and how this works?

Thanks,

Emma
    xcountry292 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Sorry you will need cut the wall! Look at the bright side NO DAY IS COMPLETE UNTIL YOU USE A SAWSALL. Good Luck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2009, 04:56 AM
    Would it be possible to open up the wall behind yours to make the repair? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking waste pipe! [ 2 Answers ]

I have just discovered a leak from my bathroom waste pipe. I can see the problem, which is it is connected to the much larger rainwater waste pipe. When I say connected, I mean it rests in the bigger pipe and the gap around the smaller pipe has been filled with what looks like flexible filler. ...

Leaking cast iron waste pipe [ 3 Answers ]

First, my thanks to those who answered my last question. I epoxied the pipe and covered it with mastik. Still a few small drips but I think another coat will fix the problems. Sink drains fine, tub drains fine, toilet is the one that causes the drips. My thinking is that the waste pipe has a...

Leaking cast iron waste pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old house. There is a 4" cast iron waste pipe that services the bathroom in the middle of the house. It has cracked across the top of the horizontal pipe in the basement right past the joint that connects the vertical to the horizontal. The length of pipe between the collars is about...

Bath wash basin has extra waste pipe [ 1 Answers ]

The waste pipe on my bathroom basin has an extra pipe about 1/2" dia joining it just below the drain hole in the basin and before the trap. The pipe is flexible and goes off into the wall. Is it an extra drain for something? There is an air conditioning unit in the roof above. The main waste pipe...

View more questions Search