Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Danyell Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 1, 2006, 02:06 PM
    Can I be taken BACK to court?
    Long story short.. My ex- landlords (or should I say slumlords?) filed suit for a month's rent + 60% interest because I was unable to give 30 days notice before moving out. The house was in terrible condition, and I could not find a new roommate when my other roommate bailed out because the house was awful. I appeared at the court date October 16th, and the slumlords did not show up. The case was dismissed. This afternoon I received a subpoena telling me to be in court November 29th for the same claim. Is this allowed? I was under the impression that if a case is dismissed it was over and done with and would not be heard again.. :mad:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Was if dismiss, or postponded?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Hello Danyell:

Legally, the term is "prejudice". If their suit was dismissed "with prejudice", it cannot be refiled. The court record will tell you. Generally, it's done when a plaintiff has abused the system.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Unless the court gave the "slumlords" an extension, then it should be over and done with. Talk with an attorney for advice on this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2006, 08:52 PM
    A lot will depend on how the case was dismissed, a case can be dismissed and refiled if the judge dismissed it in a manner that allowed it.
    Normally in small claims they don't.

So in your defense on the next hearing, you need to bring this matter up to the judge.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Nov 3, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    So in your defense on the next hearing, you need to bring this matter up to the judge.
    Agree. I would also bring up that if the plaintiff made appointments to look after his premesis, this whole situation would have been avoided. I don't believe you have anything to defend against, this is a case-closed judgement in your favour.

Judges do not like anyone who wastes court time!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Court Judgement [ 2 Answers ]

If you put a judgement lien on someone's bank account and the person Closes the account, what happens to the lien? Is it dismiss by the bank? Or the courts? Or is the person still responsible to pay the debit. I recently Won a court judgement in small claims court but I know the person has no...

Going to court again [ 3 Answers ]

My landlord raised my rent 200.00 I was paying 1200.00 a month I am sick with a chronic disease and my son lives with me , I have lived here for 4 year and every year before he has raised my rent 25.00. He has had me to court 4-5 times for late rent ( I always paid within the month it was due) he...

Going to Court [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question, I am going to court for a debt with a law office regarding a credit card that I have been paying since last July. I have sent letters to the law office stating that I owe the debt and that I intend to pay it and have been paying each month. They wanted a certain amount I did...

Bankruptcy court [ 0 Answers ]

My husband and I will be going to bankruptcy court in 4 days and 2 days ago had a phone conversation with the Trustee.He ask all the questions we thought was going to be ask in court plus some.What can we expect now and what are the questions we can expect now.I am so nervous I hope I can answer...

View more questions Search