Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allforthebroken Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2009, 11:15 PM
    Why do I feel so depressed?
    I'd like some help with a few things, I don't know if I might be depressed or have some sort of other mental illness. I deal with my dad's overly constant verbal and mental abuse, I've talked to someone who said that they could be trusted but shunned me away saying that my dad treated me fine when obviously, he doesn't. Another factor that comes into play is my parents are overprotective, to the point where they won't let me walk down the road for even 15 minutes. I'm constantly depressed and barely anyone realizes it because I'm forced to put up my "wall" where I become emotionless and I seem happy. I have maybe one friend that I am able to talk to about it, her and my boyfriend are always really supportive. But even when I want to smile, I can't manage to turn the sides of my mouth upwards, I just wants to hide in the dark and cry, either that or die... without the support of my boyfriend and my best friend, I probably would be. I have self image issues and hate myself to the furthest extent. I see a therapist but she really doesn't like to listen or help at all... she just says that everything is fine... when all I really need is advice on how to cope, either that or find out what's wrong with me. So help really would be appreciated.:(
    mytopWorld Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 09:09 PM

If I'm in the situation like you did, I probably get worse than you do. You are lucky to have boyfriend and best friend whom you could confide with.
    Think about the positive part of life, have you got any siblings? Unless they are too young(or got their own family), they might could share the same emotion as you did.
    Crying helps sometimes but when I recover from a depression, I often found out it's so hard to face the situation again. And actually want to go back in the depressive emotion.
    Just don't cry too much. It hurts and make it harder to recover.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Hi, Allforthebroken!

First, have you solved some of the other issues that you've already asked about on this site? Or, is what you're asking now, a continuation of any of those issues or something new, please?

Thanks!
    Allforthebroken Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Sep 20, 2009, 07:04 PM

Yes... I've solved them all...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 07:20 PM

It is your responsibility (because YOU are in charge of the sessions and pay for them) to tell your therapist that everything is NOT fine. If she talks over you and continues with the fine stuff, stand up and walk out. If you're not brave enough to do that, ask for paper and pen, then list the things that are not fine. That will give the two of you something to chew on for a while.

(Ask her about her training and internships and which psychological theory she's most fond of. Is she a social worker or a counselor?) In other words, get some grit going here, for your own sake.

(P.S. I'm a counselor.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does it mean if you're depressed a lot and feel sad? [ 14 Answers ]

I'm 21. I live w/ my fiancé. I get really depressed and sad sometime's. Other time's I get mad or angry. Most of the time I get sad and I don't know why. All my life I've delt with a mean father and mentally loony mother. My friend's have turned their back on me in the past. My grandfather died a...

I'm too shy and I feel pretty depressed. [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys, This is a problem I really need some help with and I kind of feel uncomfortable talking about it.. :o.. The problem is.. I am now 22 years old and I am very very shy and not very out going.. I hardly have any friends because I'm too scared to make friends and to talk to strangers and...

I feel lonely and depressed [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I do not know where to start :(. I feel so lonely and miserable, Im 20 yrs old.. I don't have many friends and the best friend that I had - has stopped talking to me for stupid reasons such as.. I fink all the boys like me, etc. Which is NOT d case but at times I would blame myself and...

I feel like I can't ever get out of my depressed mode. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm very depressed person I'm so happy when I can have a good day... I trust no one... and I am not even exaggerating when I say I have no friends at school. I mean I don't get made fun of at school or anything like that I just feel like I never fit in and I have so many bad days. I wish I had...

Break, feel depressed, what should I do? Very hard [ 6 Answers ]

Hey guys. Well recently my girlfriend wanted a break. I don't know what to do. I told her to be happy and I respect the fact she wants a break. I was heart broken. She said she was tired of trying because she has school and etc. She missed a week of school, so she has so much to make up. I asked if...

View more questions Search