Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Sep 5, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Girl Translation.
    Okay, so a girl I know (really gorgeous girl, I am really good friends with) asks me who I like. I tell her I like her. She says during the resulting conversation that she doesn't date her friends (which I am partially inclined to believe because the boyfriend who has recently dumped her was a random guy she met at the train station).
    So, the question is, when girls say they don't date their friends, do they really mean "Im not interested in you"?
    Or do you reckon she is being honest and has a fear that dating a friend could ruin a friendship. (I have known girls to have that fear before)

I figure it would be good to see any other translations of common things girls say too that might come in handy. (I just wish people would say what they mean)

Thank you for reading my question.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 08:38 AM
    That's probably what she did mean:she doesn't date her friends.then again its impossible to try to secondguess someone's words

Sep 5, 2009, 08:41 AM

What I do not understand, Is why would you date someone who isn't your friend? That means getting into a serious relationship with someone you don't even know. No wonder he ended up dumping her.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 08:50 AM
    When we meet someone and are attracted to them and go on to form a relationship with them we look upon them as lovers and friends.I m sure friends can fall in love and become couples.you said you like this girl-is it maybe more than like ?

Sep 5, 2009, 08:52 AM

Possibly. Too soon to be sure. I would happily spend the rest of my life with her.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 09:01 AM

I have to say I think she just doesn't want to date you. If the feeling is strong enough people will date anyone. I may be wrong but I don't think a friendship should prevent a possible loving and romantic relationship if both parties are interested. I don't think she is as interested in you as you are into her.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 5, 2009, 09:02 AM

My guess is that is was a polite way to let you down. Rather she was doing so because she's not interested in you or the idea of possibly ruining a friendship scares her, no one but her can say.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 10:49 AM

No matter her response, you should focus on going forward being a fun and confident person and not worry about her mistake. If she comes around then maybe you can give her a chance down the line, or maybe someone better will come along who sees and appreciates the person you are.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 5, 2009, 11:06 AM

The best relationships start with friendship, at least that's been my experience.

I can see why she would be wary though. If you date a friend and it doesn't work then you're losing more then just a boyfriend, you're losing a friendship too. It's very rare that you remain friends with your exes.

Only she knows what she's really feeling. She may like you enough to date you, she may be letting you down easily. Either way, she's made it clear that she's not going to date you, so it's time to move on, stay friends and find someone else. :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 5, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823 View Post
    Possibly. Too soon to be sure. I would happily spend the rest of my life with her.
    That's as a confused answer as I ever read. I have no idea what's on her mind, and suggest you stop figuring it out. She says your friends, so be friends, and have fun with it. Who knows what happens next, but don't get carried away by your feelings. If you can't handle friends though, back off. Way off.

She definitely isn't interested in spending the rest of her life with you, for sure.:eek:

Sep 6, 2009, 02:18 AM

:p
    I never said that I was making any approaches whatsoever tal.
    I am only working at a friendship level.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 03:15 AM
    I think she may have asked you the question, "Who do you like" because she senses that you have a 'more than just a friend' opinion of her.

That also gave her an opportunity to say that she never dates friends. So, in a way, her doing that has saved you a lot of trouble in the long run.

I agree with the possibility of friends becoming lovers absolutely. Happened to me. I thought my (now) husband was a total and complete jerk when I met him, but, he sort of wormed his way into being friendly, and hanging out with my friends, and I got to know him better. When I saw more, I began to think of him in a different way. And the rest is history.

If you play your cards right, that big red stop sign she's put up, might just turn to a 'caution', and who knows after that.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823 View Post
    :p
    I never said that I was making any approaches whatsoever tal.
    I am only working at a friendship level.
    No worries Cal, just wanted to make sure you didn't get carried away, as friendships develop best when things are kept casual, and relaxed, and both people are comfortable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I like this girl but she has a girlfriend how do I get her to leave her girl? [ 11 Answers ]

There is this girl, I really like her lot and she likes me to but yet she is n a relationship with a girl and has been for 17 months! Me and her have this connection more than friends like she will come over and we will cuddle and kiss and stuff bt nothing major. We have tlkd about hooking up but...

I'm a girl and I like my best friend.who's a girl [ 18 Answers ]

Hi... I know there's lots of issues surrounding bisexual people and everything but I like girls and guys. I can't help it it's who I am. I have a boyfriend and everything between me and him are awesome, he gave me a promise ring and everything. But I'm attracted to my boyfriend... tia. She's...

The girl of my dreams turn into the girl of my nightmare [ 6 Answers ]

We where going out for 5 years and it was great the first 2 years. We seen each other everyday and we love every minute of it. Then her mom found we were going out and try to make it bad for both of us. Then her mom put her in jail for stealing a key chain and running away from home when her mom...

Girl felx time to have sex look how long you make the rudeboi to sweat,girl flex [ 1 Answers ]

What's the name of the song that goes to this lyrics,girl flex time to have sex look how long you make the rude boy sweat girl flex

I'm a girl, I kissed a girl, I didn't like it. Should I tell my boyfriend? [ 10 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend are 19.. he's not a partier but sometimes I can be. I used to party and drink every other weekend before we started going out but I stopped when I started dating him because he didn't really like it unless he was around. Plus he doesn't want me doing anything that's bad for me...

View more questions Search