Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lady daisy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 05:08 PM
    My dog is sick he has lost a lot weight and barley walks the vet test only a UTI .
    We took my dog to the vet and had test ran. He has dropped about 25 or more pounds and is not active anymore. He favors one leg when he walks. He still eats and drinks but is not active and won't go up the stairs anymore. The test from the vets indicated that he had a UTI and nothing else they keep him in the hospital for 24 hours giving him IV's for dehydration. But the vet told us that he could do more test if we were up to it and try to pinpoint exactually. We love our dog very much and have already spent 500 on him only to hear that he has a UTI and we need more test. These days it is hard to come up with the money for more test. We need advice.. .
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 05:28 PM

I would speak to the vet and see if he is willing to accept monthly payments.

My father spent thousands on our dog when I was younger and it bought him another 5 years.

It's a very difficult decision.

My sister in law recently put down her 16 yr.old Shih Tzu and the reason was that it was going to possibly cost her over a grand to save her life.

She was also having urinary problems and it was going to require surgery.

This is such a heart wrenching personal decision that I'm sorry I can't advice you one way or another.

I have had to put down my dog before and I know how difficult it is.

I wish you the best.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:39 PM

What breed of dog is he?
    The favouring one leg could be something hereditary like hip displaysia or he may have done a cruchet ligament (knee joint)

The weight loss unfirtunately is something you would have to get the tests done for, is he up to date with his vaccinations and worming?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 07:10 AM

Did they do any bloodwork?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I Just Lost My Puppy to Parvo.Will My Adult Dog Get Sick? [ 26 Answers ]

On the morning of Friday Feb. 9th we noticed that our 8 1/2 month old Shih-Tzu had thrown up during the night. We took him to the Vet that morning around 11:00 am. The vet said that he probably just had an upset stomach and a little gas. She gave him a shot for the nausea and prescribed him some...

2 weeks late, a lot of symptoms but a negative test [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 19 and trying for a baby.. I'm 2 weeks late for my period but the test results negative... I have white, cramy discharge (sorry) sore boobs, feeling sicky, a lot of the time.. what should I do please help :(

How to gain a lot of weight quickly? [ 3 Answers ]

So what are some foods that MAJORLY put on the pounds? BUT are still healthy for your body?

Can barley hear [ 1 Answers ]

First thing is first. Im 18 years old. I listen to loud music on occasion but not often. About 2 weeks ago my right ear was muffled. I could barley hear out of it. And it never went away and actually its in both ears now for about a week. And it seems to be getting worse. I don't want to go...

Old dog poops and pees a lot a lot a lot [ 4 Answers ]

I just rescued a very old dalmatian from my neighbors she has tumors all over Her body and she is very thin . I started her on good food. I feed her a cup in a half a day And water is always available. She poops so much 5 times a day? I keep my dogs in the sun room at night when we get up there...

View more questions Search