Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    girlygirly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Will a block sealer work
    A mechanic friend of mine told me that I have a crack in my engine block. I have all the signs. White smoke coming from the exhast, I can put antifreeze in my car and the next day its gone, there is antifreeze mixing with my oil, the car will suddently stop on me or not start at all, and there is too much oil in my car. He told me that block sealer would probably do a good job of keeping it together long enough for me to either pay for the repairs or get a new engine. My question is how long do block sealers work and what is the best one to use. All of your insight would be really great for me.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 05:52 AM

Some sealers work well enough, temporarily.
    Some don't work well at all.
    I don't endorse these magic cures, so I don't know which to recommend.
    The best option for your particular failure may be quite different for the next type of failure or engine material: what works on one type block/failure may not work at all on another block with a different kind of failure.
    Research will be important here. Read labels on a few sealers and do some research online to find out what products are available, what they claim to fix and how do they do it.
    Be sure to read their disclaimers, too. You may find they have less confidence in their own product than you hoped for.
    itsjb5 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 08:44 PM

Cracked block or is it failed head gasket or intake gasket. This would be a easy and less money to repair then a cracked block. IS he sure it's a block? That dosen't happen to often, my guess would be gaskets first... maybe a cracked head also. Also that antifreze will eat the bearings away so if you have any thought of keeping this don't run it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does block sealer work? [ 34 Answers ]

My engine over heated getting home. Got the car home and hissing sound from under hood. When I opened hood, noticed steam hissing out from the coolant overflow container (overflow) tube. Nothing from any of the radiator pipes. Was at night and figured out there's nothing I could do. Next morning...

Difference between concrete block and cinder block [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between concrete block and cinder block when used in a home's foundation? What makes cinder block less desirable?

Driveway Sealer on our brick work [ 4 Answers ]

Someone who lived here before sealed the driveway and managed to get driveway sealer all over the brickwork. Does anyone know how I could try to remove it. Thanks :)

Head gasket and block sealer [ 1 Answers ]

I think I have a blown head gasket due to water filing out one of my sparkplugs. I can tell that water is getting on the plug when I take it out because it is showing rust like water from the radiator. My question is. If I use K+W block sealer is it possible for this to stop my plug from filing...

View more questions Search