Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vtalin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 04:17 PM
    Total wattage of T8 light fixture
    How do I caclulate the total watts consumed by a T8 fluorescent light fixture? It has (6) 28w bulbs with two ultra high electronic ballasts.

Thanks,

John
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2009, 10:03 PM

Ballast pf or efficiency?
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 07:57 AM

P = Power * Efficiency

Efficiency can be written as pf or power factor.

So if both ballasts ar 85% efficient.

P = 6 tubes * (1/0.85) * 28 W

The ballast efficiency can vary from about 85 to 95% or 0.85 to 0.95
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 08:16 AM
    The value needed is "Ballast Factor" not power factor.

An excerpt from
    Light Guide: Fluorescent Ballasts

Ballast Factor
    One of the most important ballast parameters for the lighting designer/engineer is the ballast factor. The ballast factor is needed to determine the light output for a particular lamp-ballast system. Ballast factor is a measure of the actual lumen output for a specific lamp-ballast system relative to the rated lumen output measured with a reference ballast under ANSI test conditions (open air at 25 degrees C [77 degrees F]). An ANSI ballast for standard 40-watt F40T12 lamps requires a ballast factor of 0.95; the same ballast has a ballast factor of 0.87 for 34-watt energy saving F40T12 lamps. However, many ballasts are available with either high (conforming to the ANSI specifications) or low ballast factors (70 to 75%). It is important to note that the ballast factor value is not simply a characteristic of the ballast, but of the lamp-ballast system. Ballasts that can operate more than one type of lamp (e.g., the 40-watt F40 ballast can operate either 40-watt F40T12, 34-watt F40T12, or 40-watt F40T10 lamps) will generally have a different ballast factor for each combination (e.g., 95%, <95%, and >95%, respectively).
    Ballast factor is not a measure of energy efficiency. Although a lower ballast factor reduces lamp lumen output, it also consumes proportionally less input power. As such, careful selection of a lamp-ballast system with a specific ballast factor allows designers to better minimize energy use by "tuning" the lighting levels in the space. For example, in new construction, high ballast factors are generally best, since fewer luminaires will be required to meet the light level requirements. In retrofit applications or in areas with less critical visual tasks, such as aisles and hallways, lower ballast factor ballasts may be more appropriate.

The simplest method is to refer to the manufacturers datasheet for input watts for a particular lamp and ballast system.

With the published input watts, you can then calculate the BEF, Ballast Efficiency Factor, which needs the input watts to complete the calculation:

http://www.lightingassociates.org/i/...f_Ballasts.pdf

Only the manufacturer can tell what each ballast will draw for input watts.

Any field calculations will be close but not accurate.

I do not see how using the Power Factor is helpful in calculating input watts:

STANDARD, Ballast Lamps

Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 09:58 AM

Thanks tk. That just makes the calcs a bit more interesting.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 19, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Thanks tk. That just makes the calcs a bit more interesting.
    LOL!! Yes it does!

I love our calculations! It presents reality. Reality that says: We know more than just hooking-up a blk and what wire<----which many believe is the only thing our job entails!!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 10:37 AM

Just to break the monotony, sometimes I like to splice black and white.

And sometimes I did it because I was in a hurry and not paying attention.

Really sucks troubleshooting a new circuit thinking there is a real problem just to find that I was the problem.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 19, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Just to break the monotony, sometimes I like to splice black and white.

And sometimes I did it because I was in a hurry and not paying attention.

Really sucks troubleshooting a new circuit thinking there is a real problem just to find that I was the problem.
    LOL! Yeah, I did this before. But it was an embarrassing moment for me when I turned the power on, and the customer and I heard a boom. :eek:. Yet, we laughed it off, and I gained more work! :)
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:18 PM
    vtalin, I'm curious... which ballast did you have that did not tell you what the total consumed wattage was?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fluorescent light wattage [ 5 Answers ]

How do I calculate how the wattage required to run a 2' x 4' (4-4' light tubes) fluorescent fixture (mounted in a drop ceiling, if it matters)? I also need to calculate the wattage for several 2' x 2' fluorescent fixtures. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Total wattage per circuit [ 1 Answers ]

Dudes I need an answer on total wattage per circuit. I got a 30 amp dedicated circuit with 4200 watts 0f regular lighting with about a little over a hundred feet of rope lights not led. The wiring is ten gauge stranded, am I overloaded?

Why maximum wattage for light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I've installed a new kitchen light fixture that has a maximum wattage of 60 watts per socket. Unfortunately this does not create enough light. What would happen if I up the bulbs to 100 watts each?

Calculating wattage: each bulb, or fixture? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there again. Thanks for all the useful help on this site. I think the last piece of info I need to complete my project is, when calculating wattages, (ex, 15 amp, 1440 watts max), if a light fixture has 4-60 watt bulbs, does that count as 240 watts or as one fixture at 60. Sounds like a...

Maximum wattage for light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new hamptom bays ceiling light fixture. It has two sockets for light bulbs and is labeled "maximum wattage 60" Does that mean a total of 60 watts between the two or 60 for each bulb.

View more questions Search