Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    technut1054 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Heat pump seems to work but not putting out cool air
    I have a 1 ton Trane heat pump used for heating/cooling of my basement, it has been seldom used over the years. When I put the Stat in Cool mode the unit seems to work: the outside unit kicks on, with the contactor closing in and compressor pulling 6.5 amps continuously with condenser fan running however no cold air is produced from the inside air handler, only room temperature air is blown. I'm thinking the reversing valve my be defective since last fall when I last tried to use the unit in cool mode it would cycle hot then cold, hot then cold and so on. These hot summer days are making me need to figure out what's wrong with it.

Another thing I notice while checking the compressor amps was the air coming off the fan was much cooler than the outside ambient air, whereas the air coming fan the 1.5 ton unit next to it that was working properly was warmer than the ambient air. Is the reversing valve stuck in the heat position? Any suggestions?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 10:03 PM
    Is the reversing valve stuck in the heat position

That is a good possibility or the coil on the rev valve could be defective also. Try going from heat to cool a few times to see if it will move the valve.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jun 17, 2009, 06:14 AM

With such minimal lift between your indoor and outdoor temp, if you reversing valve was stuck in heat mode I would think you'd be producing around 12,000 BTUs of heat for your basement. So is it heating your basement or is the more like the supply air is neither being heated nor cooled?

Jun 17, 2009, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dac122 View Post
    With such minimal lift between your indoor and outdoor temp, if you reversing valve was stuck in heat mode I would think you'd be producing around 12,000 BTUs of heat for your basement. So is it heating your basement or is the more like the supply air is neither being heated nor cooled?
    I tried going from heat to cool several times as HVAC1000 requested. The Stat temp went from 81 to 83 degrees in about 15 minutes. I apparently can get heat but not cool. When in Cool mode the supply air is neither being heated nor cooled as you stated, it just maintains the room temp even when I set the Stat to Hold at 77 degrees.

FYI, I have three HP's side by side. A 1.5 ton for the upstairs, a 2 ton for the main level and this 1 ton for the basement. When they all are running in Cool mode the air being blown from the outside compressor/condenser fan is warmer than ambient air for the two units that are working properly whereas the outside air being blown from the compressor/condenser fan on the basement unit that is not working properly is noticeably cooler than the ambient air.. Isn't that a sign that the HP is running in heat mode even though it is set for Cool?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 09:28 PM
    Connect the "R" and "O" circuits together at the outdoor unit. If it cools, the problem is in the thermostat or control wiring. If it still heats, check the reversing valve coil and wires. If they are OK, the valve slide may not be traversing fully to the cooling position.

Jun 18, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Is the reversing valve stuck in the heat position

That is a good possibility or the coil on the rev valve could be defective also. try going from heat to cool a few times to see if it will move the valve.
    Toggling between Heat to Cool a few times didn't do anything.

I measured 24 V ac across the reversing valve coil and also measured the reversing valve coil ohms at 10.5 ohms. Any other ideas?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 08:16 PM
    If your heat pump is stuck in heating mode the leaving air temp will be a lot higher than 3 degree rise. Your low on freon or the compressor is not running at all. If the out side fan is running on the heatpump it does not mean the compressure is.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 01:26 AM
    You may have a sticking slide valve in the reversing valve and usually that means the reversing valve will need to be replaced. I have had some luck in the past using Supco 88 oil in the system but you really need to know what you are doing to take part in that game.

Jun 19, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top View Post
    If your heat pump is stuck in heating mode the leaving air temp will be a lot higher than 3 degree rise. Your low on freon or the compressor is not running at all. If the out side fan is running on the heatpump it does not mean the compressure is.
    I believe the compressor is running since I measured it drawing 6.5 Amps with a clamp-on amp meter.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 10:14 AM
    Try this: with the system operating in cooling, disconnect the "O" circuit wires from each other at the outdoor unit. You should hear a "gushing" sound from the unit as it switches over to heating. Wait a minute, then touch the wires together - you should hear the same "gushing" again as it switches back to cooling. If not, repeat this process every 10 to 15 seconds for a couple of minutes to see if the valve starts working again. The outdoor discharge air temperature will give you some indication as to what the system is currently doing. There may be something (solder, etc.) lodged inside the valve and this process just might allow it to pass.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 yr old heat pump, heat works, no cool [ 10 Answers ]

I have a heat pump that was 3 years old in May. We went to change from heating to cooling about a month ago. I noticed later that it wasn't cooling. Checked and found it had tripped the breaker. Reset and instantly threw the breaker again. Called a friend that does A/C work on the side. We...

Heat Pump Doesn't cool, even heats up whenon Cool Setting [ 4 Answers ]

About a 10 year old "YORK High Performance" heat pump... The heat pump was set to Cool for my summer AC and usually has been working well. At noon on a warm day it stopped The element inside-blower with the freon (sp?) would not get cool and for short times heat up blowing warm air in an...

Heat pump only putting out heat ? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I had a very close lightning strike last Friday ,I have a heat pump and I have not had a/c from that point till now / I noticed the out side fan was not working , replaced the fan as well as the capacitor. Fan works now . Thermostat shows going into cooling mode but no cool air?? To get the fan...

Heat pump not blowing cool air [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My heat pump has been cooling just great until last evening when the register air was only blowing 62 degrees, even as it cooled outside the register air never dropped down. To be safe I shut it off. Anything I could do other than calling repair? Does refrigerant need to be charged?...

Heat Pump runs but doesn't heat or cool. [ 4 Answers ]

I know this is pretty basic--but my older Rheem Classic IX (in FL) seems to be operating fine--except it stopped heating and I think, cooling. It seems to be running fine, without any obvious leaking. It just blows the same cool air on either setting. Where should I start? Are there fuses to look...

View more questions Search