Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SAURAV BASAK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 10:27 PM
    Potassium bisulfite as food preservative
    What is a food preservative?why is food preservation needed?how does preservative preserve food?some examples of food preservative chemicals?what is the role of potassium bisulfite as a food preservative?give some reactions that occur during the process of food preservation when potassium bisulfite is added?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 10:35 PM

Hi, SAURAV BASAK!

We do help people with homework on this site. But, the keyword here is "help". We don't directly answer homework questions for students here. If we did, how would that be helping them to learn how to come up with the answers themselves?

If you use this site to get help with your homework, please do take some time to come up with and post what you think might be the answers yourself. If you do that, it's likely that you'll have someone very knowledgeable about whatever subject who'll be willing to discuss with you how and why your answers are correct or incorrect.

Please also read the expectations concerning the posting of homework questions that can be found via clicking on the following link.

Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Homework Help

Thanks!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 04:46 AM
    Bisulfate (the cation isn't important. It can be sodium bisulfite, potassium bisulfite, or whatever) is a reducing agent. It counteracts the effects of oxygen on food. Oxygen reacts with certain foods (some of the most reactive are ketchup and applesauce) and discolors them and degrades them. When a reducing agent is present, the oxygen will react with it instead of reacting with the food.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Best Deck Stain & Preservative [ 2 Answers ]

I have just finished my deck, which I built with 2" X 6" Treated Lumber. The lumber is light and I want to stain darker And leave the grain showing. I also want it protected from water damage, etc. TIA

To study the effect of potassium bisulphite as food preservative under various condit [ 2 Answers ]

To study the effect of potassium bisulphite as food preservative under various condition..

Write a balanced chemical equation for: potassium oxide+ water= potassium hydroxide [ 1 Answers ]

write a balanced chemical equation for: potassium oxide+ water= potassium hydroxide

Potassium Bisulphite as food preservative [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student of 12th. I have been given an investigation project on "To study the effect of potassium Bisulphite as food preservative under various conditions (Jam)". I have to set up the experiment in lab and then have to write report.But I don't know anything about it,I didn't get...

Food preservative - KS2 [ 1 Answers ]

I need suggestions on how to work on my project on the use of Potassium Bisulphite as food preservative under diff conditions! Any advice?

View more questions Search