Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mammer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 06:42 AM
    Rent increase in the state of New Jersey
    I have been renting a single family home in ocean countny for 4 years every year the landlord reaises the rent 25 dollars. This year with 6 days notice he raised it 200.00 I had no choice but to sign the new lease or vacate. Is this leagl in the state of New Jersey. And if not what can I do about it:mad:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2006, 07:05 AM
    At the top of this forum is a couple of "sticky" notes that link to tenant/landlord laws in all the states. You can check the laws there. You want to check on the notice required and the percentage of increase allowed. But, my gut reaction is that its legal.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 10:12 AM
    The State Legislature's website has been completely revamped... and unfortunately it's worse than it was before. They do not have a formal set of "landlord-tenant" laws as most states do, but I did some hunting... and for lack of not finding anything to the contrary, I do believe Scott is correct: They can probably charge as much rent as they want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home based biz New Jersey [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I own a power washing business on the jersey shore(ocean and monmouth counties).I'm looking for someone who would be interested in marketing my services by phone or putting advertisements on peoples doorknobs.must be clean cut,honest and responsible.you would work on a commission basis.no hard...

Rent Increase - Proper Notice? NY State [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a landlord in NY State, what is the "proper notice" for notifying my tenant of a rent increase. The off-campus housing department at William Smith Hobart college which is located in Geneva, NY states that this proper notice is a minimum of 3 days prior to the end of the month. Thanks...

New jersey tenant [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into a 2 bedroom apt that already had 1 tenant living there. We never signed a lease but paid the rent 50/50 each month by sending in separate checks. She moved out and did not find a replacement roommate and now the landlord is saying that I owe the last two months FULL rent (I was...

Living in jersey working in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I also am about to move to New Jersey and I would like to know what to expect from my taxes. I currently make 36,000 a year and I am married, no kids. Can I add my transportation to my taxes next year given how I will have to use both ny transit (trains) and nj transit?

New New Jersey resident [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently moved to New Jersey and work in New York City. I am not sure whether New Jersey taxes need to be withheld from my pay. I currently have federal and New York state taxes withheld solely??

View more questions Search