Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VSURV25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 06:28 PM
    House breaking
    Hello,

This is my first time using this site. I have a 8 month old shih tzu who I have been having the hardest time house breaking and need some tips.
    greatdanelover3 Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

May 21, 2009, 08:53 PM

Shih-tzus are notoriously hard to potty train. I would suggest a doggy door or a bell. I use a bell on my door where my dachshund can reach. When I was training her every time we went outside I would use her paw to hit the bell. She now will paw the bell when she has to go outside. Hope this helps! Good luck
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 05:00 AM

Shih Tzus are one of dirtiest dogs there are.
    They don't seem to understand that peeing the house is dirty.

My moms friend breeds them and she has to put diapers on her males because they are impossible to house train.

You could try starting with puppy training pads...

They are a fabric pad with plastic underneath... it saves you having to clean your carpet as you just thrw the pad away and put a new one down... they absorb any odor as well.

Once you have got her trained to the pad move it slowly towards the door... about half a meter a day. Then eventually you will be able to put the puppy pad on the other side of your back door and out onto the grass... she will then learn that wees are done OUTSIDE.

It is a long process but unfortunately with hard to train dogs like shih tzus it's one of the few things that works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease to buy a house [ 4 Answers ]

Is they any way to breake a lease in order to buy a home ? I singed a lease for one year in August 2008. In January the landlord called me and said they where going to put the rental protiy up for sale, but I would be able to stay out my whole lease. She also said they did not know if I would be...

Breaking our house lease in Texas [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas. WE signed a lease for one year. The landlord hangs around our yard a lot while we are at work. The neighbors let us know. HE evidently is peeking in the windows. We have rented another house and are moving out. He said that we will have to pay him rent for the rest of the...

House breaking my puppy. [ 4 Answers ]

My 3 month old peekapoo puppy was doing so good with potty training, I have been using the puppy pads, and she would always go on them, and would only have occaisanal mistakes. However, over the past week or so she has had some behavior changes, she goes wherever she wants and has just been a...

Breaking a lease to buy a new house [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to buy my first home in October, but my lease is not up until March 31st. Is there any legal way of getting out of the lease? I live in Texas if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Shihtzu house breaking [ 1 Answers ]

Any suggestions on house breaking a shihtzu puppy?

View more questions Search